Profile for C. J. Gornall > Reviews

Content by C. J. Gornall

C. J. Gornall (Preston, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Seaquest DSV - Season 2 - Complete [1994] [DVD]
Seaquest DSV - Season 2 - Complete [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roy Scheider

2.0 out of 5 stars The most irritating charachter ever?, 13 April 2009
Less "Friends Of The Earth" than Season 1, and with a decent cliffhanger at the end (which was resolved somewhat unsatisfactorily in Seaquest 2032), this is a mostly OK series to watch and Rosalind Allen is certainly easy on the eye. BUT has anyone come accross a more irritating charachter than Michael DeLuise's Tony Piccolo? OK, Dagwood (played by brother Peter) runs him close, but to me he ruins the whole show.

The Dresden Files: Complete Season 1 [2007] [DVD]
The Dresden Files: Complete Season 1 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Blackthorne

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 April 2009
I bought this on the strength of the (mainly) positive reviews on Amazon, but after watching it once it is being recycled via Ebay. I just really couldn't connect with Paul Blackthorne as Harry Dresden and found Bob to be only slightly less annoying than Tony Piccolo in SeaQuest DSV. Coupled with fairly uninspired acting & storylines I really can't recommend it. Go for Moonlight instead - far superior!

Bodyline (TV Mini-series) [DVD]
Bodyline (TV Mini-series) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugo Weaving

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but missing some scenes!, 13 April 2009
I remember really enjoying this when I first saw it on TV many years ago & bought the R4 release a couple of years back as soon as I saw it was available. Whilst still a great series to watch, I was disappointed that there were at least 2 scenes missing from what I remembered - one where Jardine likened Edith to an Egyptian sculpture & another where an Australian batsman was standing way off to leg & still being hit by the ball. This provides a continuity error, as it is mentioned in dialogue later in the film. I have no idea why these scenes (and possibly others I can't remember) were cut. Bottom line - buy it if you have a multi region DVD - it's still well worth it.

Moonlight - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] [2008]
Moonlight - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Alex O'Loughlin
Offered by The_Entertainment _Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets better & better, 10 April 2009
I bought this along with the first season of The Dresden Files because I was looking for something new to watch & they both had great reviews on Amazon. However, unlike Harry Dresden, I really liked Mick St John and, despite a somewhat weak first few episodes, by the end of the series I was absolutely hooked. I would reiterate some of the other reviewers comments regarding the witty dialogue, particularly from Jason Dohring who has the ability to be not only funny but quite sinister at times too. All in all an excellent show - just a shame it looks like 1 season will be it.

Blade: The Complete Series [DVD]
Blade: The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sticky Fingaz
Offered by The Happy Zombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The Films, 7 Dec. 2008
I am not a huge Blade fan (although the second film was pretty good) and to be honest I only picked this up because it was cheap & a friend had recommended it to me....Boy, am I glad he did. This is excellent, Sticky Fingaz interpretation of Blade is far darker than that of Wesley Snipes & the action/fighting scenes are superb, much better than the at times cartoonish martial arts of the films. The story line, which arcs through all the episodes, is great, chief villain Marcus is a complex charachter rather than a cardboard cut-out & his boss Charlotte is truly scary. All this plus the gorgeous Jill Wagner...what more could you want? Actually, thinking about it, what I really want is a second series!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2010 10:16 AM BST

Mind's Eye
Mind's Eye

5.0 out of 5 stars The best guitar instrumental album in the world!, 18 July 2008
This review is from: Mind's Eye (Audio CD)
This was one of the first guitar instrumental albums I bought, & without a doubt it remains the best. Sure, Vai, Satriani, Howe, Kotzen & the rest have had some great moments, but, with the possible exceptions of Tony Macalpine & Joe Stump, Vinnie Moore is the only guitarist around whose work does not keep degenerating into long, poinless, untuneful meanderings & Mind's Eye is the finest of his many offerings - crammed full of music that is heavy, melodic & above all memorable. Seriously, I love this album & it still gets pretty heavy rotation on my CD player nearly 20 years after purchase. Buy it.....you will NOT be disappointed.

Fx: Series 1 [DVD]
Fx: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cameron Daddo

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching, 28 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Fx: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is well worth investing in; decent acting, some good storylines & a mixture of fun & excitement along the way. The charachters are fairly close to what was established in the films & I have to say I enjoyed watching pretty much every episode. I believe Season 2 was something of a disappointment though & the show got canned thereafter. No sign of Season 2 on DVD either.

UPDATE

Season 2 is available from Amazon in Canada!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2013 7:17 PM GMT

The Office - Complete Series One & Two and The Christmas Specials [2001] [DVD]
The Office - Complete Series One & Two and The Christmas Specials [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais

5.0 out of 5 stars Painfully funny, 21 Mar. 2008
I got into this late, not having watched it originally on TV & it was only because I picked it up for a song on Ebay that I followed a friend's recommendation to give it a go. Boy, am I glad I did! Having worked in an office for almost 30 years and spent some time in training too, there were some painfully familiar scenes and cringe inducing situations as well as many laugh out loud moments. And yes, though it pains me to admit it, I too have argued long & loud about various answers at quiz events. David Brent..... Basil Fawlty for the new millennium?

Dick Francis Mysteries: Twice Shy / In the Frame / Blood Sport [DVD] [2005]
Dick Francis Mysteries: Twice Shy / In the Frame / Blood Sport [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Ian McShane

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Mar. 2008
I'm pretty sure these 3 90 minute "films" have never been shown on British TV & having now watched them all I understand why. With only superficial connections to the original stories, these are poorly acted, poorly written & poorly edited. Perhaps worth a look if you are an avid Dick Francis fan, but I would not expect you to want to watch them more than once.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2011 7:35 PM GMT

The Net: The Complete First Series [DVD]
The Net: The Complete First Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brooke Langton
Offered by marxwax

1.0 out of 5 stars Great artwork, shame about the episodes, 9 Mar. 2008
There's a fantastic shot of Brooke Langton on the front of this box set, but I am afraid it is all down hill from there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7