Profile for R. E. Cameron-dick > Reviews

Content by R. E. Cameron-dick

R. E. Cameron-dick (UK)

Hieronymus Betts and His Unusual Pets (Dual Language French/English)
Hieronymus Betts and His Unusual Pets (Dual Language French/English)
by M. P. Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine story; not good in dual language., 11 Feb. 2014
A funny enough book, but not great for what I bought it for. I hoped, as you might expect in buying a dual language book, that it would help my French au pair communicate with my four year old son by letting them compare words in a story. Unfortunately, the words are largely made up. There are many chreatures with weird and wonderful names and characteristics, which are very difficult for me to pronounce effectively in either language- and I'm at least a fully literate native English speaker. The au pair and my son battled with it a few times, but it has long since been consigned to the bookshelf and abandoned.

Quiver Double Pen Holder for Large (A5) Moleskine Notebooks - Brown Leather
Quiver Double Pen Holder for Large (A5) Moleskine Notebooks - Brown Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product., 11 Feb. 2014
Perfect. My husband was delighted. He is a confirmed moleskine aficionado and a difficult man to buy presents for, but this did the trick. It's simple but nicely made and fits well on the moleskine. Actually I bought the size that should fit vertically on a smaller (A5ish) notebook, but he prefers to use it on his larger (A4ish) moleskine horizontally, which holds the notebook shut. Really nice product. Fits two Cross pens snugly side by side without rubbing unduly against one another.

Sex & War
Sex & War
by Malcolm Potts

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought, 1 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Sex & War (Paperback)
I cannot remember exactly why I bought this book, but having done so I decided I really ought to read it. I am so very very glad that I did, and will certainly read it again (probably in about 6 months, after I have had time to digest it the first time, for there is a wealth of information to take in).

I won't bother with the synopsis, other reviewers have provided that already. Instead, I will just say that I thought I had a pretty good grip on the major issues affecting the earth in the 21st century (and as an Army Officer, war was certainly amongst them), but Potts' insight into the issues of population growth, family planning and how these affect war and effect global crises was truely novel (for me). I would certainly recommend it...in fact I would recommend CGS or Philip Hammond pick up a copy too.

The Puppet Company - Sockettes - Ringo Hand Puppet
The Puppet Company - Sockettes - Ringo Hand Puppet
Offered by Puppets By post

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, just poor durability., 20 Jan. 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for my toddler, who thinks it's great. We love it too, but are a little disappointed at the robustness factor: the yellow fluff falls out if you so much as look at it the wrong way! I have little luminous yellow tufts all over my house. The squeaker in the puppet's tongue is a little temperamental too- you have to get it just right to make it squeak!
Not too bad, just a bit disappointing for the price.

The Illustrated Man (Flamingo Modern Classics)
The Illustrated Man (Flamingo Modern Classics)
by Ray Bradbury

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic for all ages, 20 Jan. 2011
This is a wonderful book. Recommended to me as a child, it's been read several times both then and now. I've just bought it for my own daughter. Highly recommended.

A Bit Lost
A Bit Lost
by Chris Haughton

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book for small children, 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: A Bit Lost (Hardcover)
My 15 month old has a short attention span for this book at the moment; it's probably better suited to 24months onwards, but it is beautifully illustrated and I love it!

PRENATAL YOGA
PRENATAL YOGA
Dvd ~ J.K.Rowling
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright for what it is, 25 Nov. 2009
This review is from: PRENATAL YOGA (DVD)
I only followed this a couple of times because I found I prefered to do a pregnancy fitness dvd and then relax/stretch off on my own... I suppose it's personal choice. It was easy enough to follow, but a bit limited.

Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery
Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction Surgery
by Jack Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential reading for BFAR mothers, 25 Nov. 2009
This book and the author's website saved my breastfeeding experience; it should be essential reading for all midwives and lactation consultants and is a must for anyone attempting or hoping to breastfeed a baby following breast reduction surgery. Excellent.

Tiny Love Gymini Kick and Play
Tiny Love Gymini Kick and Play

4.0 out of 5 stars Okat for younger babies, 25 Nov. 2009
The toys on this gym are good; I particularly like the lion chime, as it makes a nice sound when my boy plays with it. On the other hand, they hang very low, so they are already touching him before he even reaches out for them. This is okay at the moment but means he'll grown out of it quickly. Worth it if you can find it for less than the RRP, I think.