Profile for C. Russell > Reviews

May We Be Forgiven
May We Be Forgiven
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars May her critics be forgiven!, 11 May 2014
If ever an author divided opinion it's this woman. I love it, but she is definitely my number one Marmite author. The problem, I think, is that you have to suspend reality so far to even begin to access her work. This is the fourth novel of hers I have read. I describe her writing as liking living in a Salvador Dali painting. It is a bizarre world occupied by people who are almost real, but not quite. What I love is the crispness of her work. So little is wasted. She's funny, disturbing and - I suspect - a little mad. After I'd read this I had to go back to books with description, real characters and a clear plot. Basically, this book can make your brain hurt. It doesn't just challenge in the way that, say, a Salman Rushdie can. It slaps you about the face and gives you a hard time on occasions, but then you read a section of black humour that has you hungry for more.

Don't go here without a heath warning.

AM [VINYL]
AM [VINYL]
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again ...., 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: AM [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a band that never ceases to surprise. On first hearing I was very much in the "OMG what have they done?" camp. But I kept listening and the real Arctic Monkeys emerged from the harmonies and glitz. Great humour, and the characteristic fitting-too-many-words-onto-a-line combine with some very clever melodies to make this arguably the best of the last 3.

Glamourama - Adult Fancy Dress Wig - Neon Purple
Glamourama - Adult Fancy Dress Wig - Neon Purple
Offered by Best Fancy Dress
Price: 3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value ( and a good laugh!), 10 July 2013
Bought this for a fancy dress party which took place on a really hot day! The wig fitted well, and caused no problems at all. Looked suitably stupid (more the wearer than the wig) and caused a few comments. Did exactly what you would want a dressing up wig to do without costing a fortune.

NEW MALE BLACK ROCK STAR WIG FANCY DRESS UNISEX
NEW MALE BLACK ROCK STAR WIG FANCY DRESS UNISEX
Offered by One Click Wonder
Price: 7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha ha!, 10 Jun 2013
Absolutely knock out. Haven't laughed so much in years. It's not a high quality item, but fine for a fancy dress party, and looks just fine. Value for money it is excellent.

The Messenger [VINYL]
The Messenger [VINYL]
Price: 20.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, especially for those who missed the Smiths., 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Messenger [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Bought this album on a whim following an interview on Radio 5 and just thought he sounded an interesting bloke and so wanted to hear his music. I had missed out on The Smiths as my life was a tad hectic around then, and I've been catching up on stuff since I retired. The best description I read is that this is like a slightly harder edged Noel Gallagher. As I really like Noel Gallagher I see this as quite a compliment. If you like High Flying Birds, then you you'll get this album. It is clearly made by a musician who knows where he is at, and feels he has something to say.

One tip, play it loud!

Florence (Everyman Map Guide)
Florence (Everyman Map Guide)
by Everyman
Price: 5.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Jun 2013
I've bought a few of these map guides and they simply never disappoint. I don't use them for accommodation, but do try some of their food recommendations. Where they really score is the clarity of the map, and the little thumbnail descriptions of places of interest. Of course, that this is Florence does give it an advantage!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see for miles ....., 10 Jun 2013
Of all the stuff I've used to put in hard and later GP lenses this is the best, it's as simple as that. No goo, no re-wetting through the day and really clear vision.

The 2nd Law [VINYL]
The 2nd Law [VINYL]
Price: 22.04

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Muse, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Having booked to see the band in Paris in a couple of weeks, I decided I needed to do some homework. Up until now I've only bought Muse on CD, and always felt that the either medium didn't do justice to the music or they were just pretty ordinary in a studio compared to their live performances, but given that I've invested in a decent system so I am now heavily back into vinyl I decided to give this a whirl.

Wow. Like all Muse albums there are tracks that you wonder why they bothered, but these are soon forgotten as you at last get the full richness of the Muse sound. Plagiarists? Well if you think you detect early King Crimson, Radiohead and, of course, Queen with a handful of Jean Michel Jarre (and no doubt more) I'd go with that. But it is well wrapped in Muse sound. A nice by product of this "influences" thing in any case is that this album got me spinning stuff I'd not listened to for a while. The 2nd Law tracks got me playing King Crimson's "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" for example.

The quality of the recording is excellent, the production of the sleeve a little disappointing. Minimalism is all very well, but this is a vinyl double album and could have taken a bit more. But if you liked "Black Holes" and were then a little disappointed in the last album then be assured, Muse are back with chorals and strings to boot.

@ Reverend_Makers
@ Reverend_Makers
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Another grower, 5 July 2012
This review is from: @ Reverend_Makers (Audio CD)
I was so chuffed to get my hands on this as I thought the band had broken up. When I bought their second album I didn't like it as much as their first for a while, and this one is going to grow too. There are a range of influences on here, but as ever it is the McClure voice that gets you. As an old rocker, I have always liked people who could write lyrics and it is great to hear so many bands now that make the lyrics matter - the Arctics, Elbow et al - and this guy does it as well as anyone. The only thing I can't understand about this band is why they are not huge. I've seen them live a few times and they are brilliant. Last time I saw them was 2 days after seeing Muse who are acclaimed the greatest live band in the world or something like. Muse are polished and this bloke is as rough as a badger's whatsit, but he can really kick. Sort of a modern day Ian Dury. Great band and an album that needs adding to any good rock collection.

Madeira (Walk and Eat)
Madeira (Walk and Eat)
by John Underwood

5.0 out of 5 stars It has yet to be fully road tested but ..., 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Madeira (Walk and Eat) (Paperback)
This book looks the business for those casual walkers who simply want to enjoy a decent stroll. Maybe I should have waited until it was fully road tested, but I'll probably forget. The only comment I would make at the moment is that it slightly undersells itself. It seems to be so much more than walking and eating (both excellent holiday activities of course) and as much a guide book as any other I've seen. Great pocket size, and not buying a new copy I'm not going to be precious about it while out walking.

Page: 1 | 2