Profile for Ricky > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Music for the Kilted Generation
Music for the Kilted Generation

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended. How original, 13 Jan. 2015
Another vignette of 'mind blowing' renditions of everything but a 'standard' lament or a Scottish Air! No, this is a 'skirling', 'whooping it up' twist and rendition on 'classic' songs; that leaves you 'breathless! Ever thought you would listen to 'Queen' played on the bagpipes? Think again! Highly recommended. How original!

Live At The Lake 2014
Live At The Lake 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had been there!, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Live At The Lake 2014 (Audio CD)
Not much to say really! If you love the 'bagpipes' and you are looking for a completely different 'slant' on the instrumt/s, you can't go wrong! Certainly get's my feet tapping!

The Father's Guide to the Meaning of Life
The Father's Guide to the Meaning of Life
by Joe Kita

5.0 out of 5 stars How insightful and beautifully articulated!, 13 Jan. 2015
I find myself in an unusual situation here as a reviewer. I bought this beautifully crafted book as a 'Xmas gift' for my son. Although I am writing the review having read and obtained the 'copy' I read from the public library when I was 'browsing' through their 'books', I have to be honest and say that this copy I purchased from Amazon was NOT the copy I read. However, in the greater scheme of things that is neither here nor there, because the 'motivation' to purchase the book had already taken 'root'! Insightful, emotionally intelligent, written with a passionate understanding of the 'enormity' of change that parenthood brings to us as as massive 'life changing' event, Joe Kita pretty well tells it as it is! My eldest son has 'four' children, and I have 'watched', yes with a Father's adoration as he has 'developed' into a thoroughly 'decent man' and a wonderful father! Sometimes' the words that we wish to say to our children just doesn't quite 'come out' the way we really want them to, not because we don't want to say them, but sometimes articulation and 'deep 'meaning' are hard to convert into 'words', but by heavens we know what we are feeling! Just how we get it across though, that's not always as easy as we think! Sadly, I have to say this as well. We 'men' (even in these enlightened time's), just don't get it! Do we? We 'know' what we are 'feeling' but, unlike our wonderful gender opposites, we can't quite get the words out. If you are a 'Father', or the 'Father' of a son whom has become a 'father', and wish to articulate all those profound changes that being a 'father', in either of the two roles I have just ,mentioned, then this is the book for you! My own son to whom I gave this book, has stated on record, that it is the book is the 'finest' insight not to just how the 'meaning of life' change's so dramatically when, as 'boy's' and lad's' we are suddenly faced with a 'whole new ballgame', becoming a Father, and how that affects out life's. The book has also gave him an insight to how his own Father's 'Meaning of Life' was, and is still continually changing, as I watch what was this 'child' of mine become a 'man'! I recommend Joe Kita's book to pretty well everyone, but I especially recommend this book to us 'dotting' Father's (now grandfathers), who want to really tell our son's, 'I so much respect you, now do you understand?' I cannot speak and praise this book highly enough. How beautiful written. A treasure-trove believe you me. I rarely, if ever, am left 'gobsmacked' by an author's insight, always finding something usually to be critical about somewhere throughout the dialogue! I certainly can't find fault here. This is exactly what it say's on the tin. 'A Fathers Guide To The Meaning of Life'! Joe Kita does not live in a 'fairyland' of the 'perfect' family. He acknowledges all the 'pitfalls' and 'hurdles' of being a Father. This book is not all about how 'baby pooh' is pretty well the 'worst kind' you will ever experience. etc..., no, this book goes way beyond the 'rudiments' of parenthood and leaves you in no doubt, that when children come along, 'The Meaning of Life', is just that! Buy it! Trust me you will not be disappointed.

Talking Timbuktu
Talking Timbuktu

5.0 out of 5 stars Two does indeed make one!, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Talking Timbuktu (Audio CD)
Anything Ry Cooder does in my book is 'unique' and actually in a category of it's own. A musician whom has made it his 'lifes' work to take the 'unusual', the 'different', even quaint alternative music from all around the globe (in particular Cuba), and give it his own "Cooderisation", if such a word exists. Their are critics who state that he takes indigenous music and 'processes' it for the 'mass market' selling the 'copyright' of 'generations' of music tradition', and profiteering on the back of the self same musical histories! I don't believe that at all. No one plays 'slide' guitar as 'Cooder' does! (Listen to "How can a poor man stand such times and live"!) A great deal attempt to but falls well short at the 'Hurdle'! The4 'Buena Vista' label would not exist but for him, and we the musical audience would be so much the poorer format! This 'meeting' of two geniuses is a 'goldmine' to listen to! Ail Farka Toure, would have left Cooder breathless! A joy to listen to and a salutary lesson that the combination and 'fusion' of differing 'cultural' roots does and often exceeds our expectations. Don't hesitate! Buy it. It will remain a 'classic' long after I have lived out my 'mortal coil' and indeed the protagonists have left us a meeting of not just 'cultures', but a 'meeting of musical minds'! Highly highly recommended.

At the End of the Day
At the End of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet, quaint and different!, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: At the End of the Day (Audio CD)
As a fan and admirer of all things Till Bronner I find this album lacking in the 'vitality' and energy that you come to associate with Mr Bronner. Having laid that heavy criticism upon the poor man's head in retrospect, I do not think the Album was 'designed' for anything else but 'easy listening'!. Pure unadulterated 'chill out music', even 'ambient' dare I use the word in Mr Bronner's genre of music. Till's has no Michael Bub'le voice, he certainly is not a Frank Sinatra nor Tony Bennet however, he is without doubt unique! Without going into specific songs, suffice to say his 'interpretation' and 'rendition' are 'different', and with his inimitable 'beautiful' laid back sonorous trumpet playing laid down with his vocals, this album is best avoided on too long a 'car' journey! He will mesmerise you! Keep this for late night's with the wife with the 'romance dial' turned full up (I am sure she would adore it), or get it tuned into and give it a listen during a flight or a long train /bus journey. As a 'lover' of all things 'brass', Winton Marsallis, Armstrong, Tommy Smith etc........., Tills is up there with the best of them! This is just a 'fun' album and yes, I am the 'richer' for having spent the money in buying it. Highly highly recommended.

Resilience
Resilience

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Canadian Gem!, 16 July 2014
This review is from: Resilience (Audio CD)
Annabelle Chvostek came my way by sheer 'good luck'! When in a friend's home one day I heard the 'Wallin Jennie's', Chvostek's former trio of close harmony songsters (all female). I was blown away by a song called 'Apocalypse Lulluby', and like me, if you listen to it on say YouTube it will leave you speechless! However, on closer scrutiny I found a solo performance of her singing this song 'live' in England on YouTube again! To be honest after that I could not stop myself. I dug out as much as I could on this woman and to be honest where have I been! Her voice is unique! Her musicianship is extraordinary as is her song writing.I was flabbergasted when I found out that Annabelle co-writes with none other than her fellow Canadian, the mighty Bruce Cockburn! So she hangs out in excellent company! Her lyrics are rich and expressive, poetic! Far be it for me to claim any real deep knowledge of contemporary music or be pretentious and consider myself a musicologist! I am not! However, I know what I like! This sure is one woman whom I have grown to admire and continue to be amazed at her prodigious talent. Their are several albums of her available and I will leave the reader to research them yourself however, 'Resilience' is an excellent starting point and thrust me, if as I am, you are 'hooked' on this Annabelle's music, then you will 'crave' for more. I highly recommend this lady to you. It is difficult to 'pigeon hole' her and allocate her a musical department as such, but her talent is above criticism, her performance reek's of excellence and her overall style and abilities are quality! Do yourself a favour and 'turn on' to this lady. You will not be disappointed I assure you. Again. forgive me for repeating myself. Highly highly recommended!

The Traveling Wilburys Collection [2 CD + DVD]
The Traveling Wilburys Collection [2 CD + DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenuous!!!!, 10 Jun. 2014
The late and sadly missed George Harrison had his finger right on the pulse of 'orchestrating creative talent', when he brought so much talent together under one roof for a 'laugh'! Some laugh!!! I am left 'speechless' and 'astounded' when we have Dylan, Petty, Orbison, Stewart and Harrison literally give us a treat and an education on creative collaboration. I really cannot say any more about this quite amazing collection except 'buy it'! You will be left literally 'weak at the knees' with its phenomenal range of originality and congenial listening! Highly highly recommended!

The League of Gentlemen - Complete Collection [DVD] [1999]
The League of Gentlemen - Complete Collection [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Mark Gatiss

5.0 out of 5 stars Theatre of the Absurd?, 7 May 2014
Having been an admirer of "The League of Gentlemen" in past years I have never watched the series for at least the past 7 years when I gave my DVD collection of the series to a family friend. This was a revelation again of the unique and really 'off the wall' humour which is the dark and extreme world of the League. Nothing really prepares you for the series, it transcends 'normality' (whatever that is) and invites you to participate in the dark, black and perverted world of the resident's of Royston Vasey's existence, ever aware that this portrayal of a village mentality might not be that too far removed from some small community environments. I love it! I regard it by far as the best 'extreme' end of the absurd and bordering on a psychological nightmare that 'spooks' the consciousness and disallows sleep to come peacefully! For those readers whom have never watched the 'Leagues' exploits before, of even those of you whom have watched the series a long time ago, then refresh the data banks and feed yourself on this quality production which goes from strength to strength as the series progresses. I go into my 'local' butcher's now with a new awareness, thinking as I do "what is really in that freezer"?

Longitude
Longitude
by Dava Sobel

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows your mind!, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Longitude (Paperback)
I purchased this book on recommendation and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever! Dava Sobel not only fills and blows your mind with knowledge but the book itself is like a journey of exploration! Beautifully constructed and written with such skill that you find it impossible to put this book down! I am illuminated about navigation and also richer of mind after this 'little gem' of a book! Highly highly recommended!

The Very Best of Neil Sedaka: The Show Goes On
The Very Best of Neil Sedaka: The Show Goes On

5.0 out of 5 stars A homage to Lena Zavaronni! R.I.P., 2 May 2014
I bought this album for one specific track, 'Going Nowhere'. If you enter this on YouTube and listen to the late Lena Zavaronni perform this song you cannot be but impressed. Listen to the lyrics and they will leave you in no doubt about the relevance of this song to many of today's generation. Sedaka is on record as having stated that after he heard of the untimely death of a tortured and troubled soul that was Lena Zavaronni, he questioned if he could ever really perform this song again such was the excellence and power of her rendition! I recommend you listen to this performance and somehow I think the CD purchase will follow soon after!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3