ARRAY(0xa4d728a0)

I am the Messenger
by Markus Zusak
Price: 6.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Game changing., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
To be given a chance, one that seems almost insignificant at the time, that will profoundly change everything in your stable but ultimately stagnant existence. It's gripping because we've all been there. You're content, most of the time at least, there's not a lot of variation in your day to day life but you tell yourself that's totally fine. Maybe it is fine. Maybe you're just telling yourself that. Maybe, you want to change, but you don't even know where to start. You realise that instead of living, you're just coasting, never really experiencing anything at all.

I don't think I've ever said this before about a book. But this will change you. If you're anything like me you won't even reach the midway point before analysing your life and acknowledging you need a change. It's beautifully written with a powerful message and relate-able characters.

Very, VERY worthwhile.

The Little Dictionary of Fashion: A Guide to Dress Sense for Every Woman
The Little Dictionary of Fashion: A Guide to Dress Sense for Every Woman
by Christian Dior
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute., 6 Dec 2013
Also small and somehow lacking something, I don't know what I expected. I don't know what I wanted it to be.
When I was a child etiquette and clothing ruled my life. I would soon find out that this was in fact a symptom of my OCD, being perfectly turned out at all times should not be the biggest concern of an under eight. As such, I surrounded myself with old manuals, beautiful fifties women with thin waists and rosy cheeks told me what to do when arriving late at the theater, who to address first when amongst strangers of both genders and of varying ages, how to lay a table when hosting a dinner party with your superiors. I absorbed every minute detail and forced my life in to a precise schedule in the hopes that if I was perfect, nothing bad could happen.

I don't know how this applies, but it reminds me of those books. It really does. Only it lacks. It lacks something I can't even put in to words. I guess it's fine for what it is, but I'm sure there are other books on this matter that would feel more, "whole".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 8:21 PM GMT

In The Miso Soup
In The Miso Soup
by Ryu Maurakami
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Gory, Uncertain, Everything I Love., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: In The Miso Soup (Paperback)
In my opinion this isn't one of his best works but it's still pretty awesome. I mean, I gave it five stars, so by that logic you have to assume his other books are just stupendously good. This isn't good for the faint of heart, I let my friend borrow it and she returned it a few weeks later looking queasy and confused about the universe. Maybe it's just me but I love the straight narrative against abject horror. Definitely a good read.

If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things
by Jon McGregor
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 6 Dec 2013
I started, I stopped, I chastised myself for ignoring it. I'm sure it's a great book, i really am. In fact, when I was reading the reviews before purchasing I couldn't believe the less favorable reviews. "It's won awards! Everyone keeps saying how great it is!" I told myself. "Those reviewers just don't understand it, probably, a bit over their heads maybe?" But this was not for me at all. I'm kind of silently judging the people who told me how great it is.

Don't get me wrong, it's readable and very nicely written. And I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't read it, but if you're like me it will seem predictable and actually quite boring.

Kissing in Manhattan
Kissing in Manhattan
by David Schickler

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy. Immediately. No excuses just throw your money at the screen., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Kissing in Manhattan (Paperback)
Interesting characters expertly interwoven, a plot so thick you'll need a butchers knife, exciting, extravagant, seriously why are you still reading. You need this book in your life. You need your life to be more like this book. Twists! Turns! Intrigue! And just a sprinkling of apartment envy.

Geek Love (Abacus Books)
Geek Love (Abacus Books)
by Katherine Dunn
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile!, 6 Dec 2013
I struggled at the very start, having left my studies and taking a medical break I really wasn't ready for long words and thinking. Breaking in to a new book can always be difficult but this felt like walking through treacle. Until of course, my heart was captured. the occasional glances over a mug of tea quickly turned in to fevered reading and emotional leaps. So so much better than I expected, gorgeously written, twisted, stomach wrenching. Everything you need to forget yourself.

Inherent Vice
Inherent Vice
by Thomas Pynchon
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I Wanted More!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Inherent Vice (Paperback)
I took this away as my holiday/please-lord-almighty-give-me-some-inspiration book. It didn't disappoint on the inspiration but I do recall being pretty underwhelmed at the ending. That could entirely be put down to the fact that I would be returning home shortly, and like the reading experience, I was in no rush to find myself back in reality.

Asymmetry
Asymmetry
Price: 13.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Sky Machine, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Asymmetry (Audio CD)
I was a massive fan of Sound Awake and pretty uncertain about whether I would enjoy this album. It's very easy to listen to, but, I don't feel that same intense punch of emotions to the gut that previous songs have given me. So far Sky Machine is the only track to evoke something close to that. But like i said, really enjoyable album.
Gorgeous vocals, tight sound, just great.

Toast of London [DVD]
Toast of London [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Berry
Price: 12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire the Nuclear Weapons!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Toast of London [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic series, my entire family is hopelessly in love with it. Even my mother who frequently admits that she, "doesn't understand comedy" Matt Berry is supremely watchable and the writing is just superb. Not as avant-garde as his previous works, so if you didn't enjoy "snuff box" or "darkplace", you should definitely give this a go.

Survival Songs
Survival Songs
by Meggie C. Royer
Price: 8.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crafted, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Survival Songs (Paperback)
I've been reading the works of this author for around a year or so now, and with a best friends birthday coming up I knew exactly what to get them. This is just perfect, slim but heartfelt, readable in bad times and good. A wonderful starting point for people who aren't entirely certain if they'll enjoy poetry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3