Profile for Mrs. J. B. Coombs > Reviews

Content by Mrs. J. B. Coombs

Mrs. J. B. Coombs "Joan" (Bristol , England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Secret Archives of Sherlock Holmes
The Secret Archives of Sherlock Holmes
by June Thomson
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes, 15 Jun 2014
These stories do not have enough 'meat' on them. They are very slight and in some of them I considered they did not give a good ending to the problem. I felt they had finished in the middle. I did not read all of them right through, becoming bored with the attempt to write in the same vein as the original Sherlock Holmes books.

Death's Jest Book (Fyfield Books)
Death's Jest Book (Fyfield Books)
by Thomas Beddoes
Price: 9.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Death's Jest Book, 15 Jun 2014
I bought this book as a gift for my son so do not have personal experience of it. However I asked him if he liked it and he said it was excellent and just what he wanted. Apparently it is a book of macabre poems.

Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth)
Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamish Macbeth Mysteries by M.C.Beaton, 14 Jun 2013
I am very fond of Hamish Macbeth and am now reading all these books for a second time round. They all have a very good read since my sister and her husband also read them and agree on their excellent content.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson

5.0 out of 5 stars The history of a hundred year old man, 14 Mar 2013
Backwards and forwards through his life. This was a great and unusual journey!! Some unbelievable, but none unforgettable. Good buy.

Mystery In The Minster: The Seventeenth Chronicle of Matthew Bartholomew (Chronicles of Matthew Bartholomew)
by Susanna Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Susanna Gregory's Mystery in the Mister, 20 July 2012
I love this series by Susanna Gregory. It takes you right back to ancient times and shows how the populace lived then. She produces new situations every time although this is the seventeenth and her characters are absolutely spot on. I am getting the eighteenth in the series for my birthday!

First Thrills
First Thrills
by Lee Child

2.0 out of 5 stars First Thrills edited by Lee Child, 14 May 2012
This review is from: First Thrills (Paperback)
I bought this book because I like Lee Child's books and thought his choices would be good. Unfortunately I was mistaken. The stories were absolute rubbish. I did not finish reading some of them as they were so awful. Most of them were predictable and some of them seemed to be written by people with no knowledge or skill of writing. I love reading and would not normally trash a book but this one was the worst I have read for a very long time.

The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars No.1 Ladies Detective Agency book., 25 May 2011
I love this series, and the latest one - The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party is great. It is so simply written and yet so interesting. Alexander McCall Smith certainly knows what he is writing about inside out. Lovely.

Ruso and the River of Darkness (Medicus Investigation 4)
Ruso and the River of Darkness (Medicus Investigation 4)
by R. S. Downie
Price: 7.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruso and the River of Darkness, 31 Mar 2011
This is the fourth in this series and every bit as good as the first three. I like this style of writing and R.S. Downie takes you into the past world of the Roman Empire, especially as applied to Britain. Ruso is a medicus and is a brilliant hero His adventures are believable with his British wife and his friends (and enemies).

Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 2)
Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 2)
Price: 5.24

2.0 out of 5 stars M. C. Beaton's books, 21 Nov 2010
I bought this book to make sure that the series was not the sort I like. My own fault, as I expected it to be as good as her other series, Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin. I have read two in this series and did not like them at all. They were stilted and unreal. Even though fiction, it must be believable. I think perhaps she should stick with modern venues and not venture into the past.

Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 3)
Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mystery Series, Book 3)

2.0 out of 5 stars M. C. Beaton's books, 21 Nov 2010
I bought this book because I am a great fan of M.C. Beaton's other series about Hamish Macbeth and also the ones featuring Agatha Raisin. I have, in fact read every one. However this was a big disappointment to me - I have bought another one to make sure but this series is nothing like the others. I found it stilted and unreal. I don't believe some of the facts were true either. Although fiction, you have to make it believable.

Page: 1 | 2