Profile for happy gerbil > Reviews

Content by happy gerbil

happy gerbil "happy gerbil" (stockton on tees)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
File Under Sacred Music Early Singles 1978-1981 [7" VINYL]
File Under Sacred Music Early Singles 1978-1981 [7" VINYL]
Price: 59.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl....., 11 Aug 2013
The only way to listen to The Cramps. I was sorely tempted to lick the labels off each of these singles, but I behaved with a modicum of restraint.......

Don't miss out on this neat box of 7 inchers......

Bickershaw Festival 40th Anniversary Box Set CD/DVD
Bickershaw Festival 40th Anniversary Box Set CD/DVD
Price: 124.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it or Hate it ?, 11 Aug 2013
OK.....this thing falls into two camps for me - those who were there and those who weren't. For those who weren't, don't touch this expensive set with a barge pole. For sure, the presentation is quite well done, but I reckon that you'll struggle with the DVDs. Aside from the fact that most footage is grainy to put it mildly, some bright spark thought it a good idea to have the music playing alongside the interviews. Piss poor actually. As for the CDs - the ones of The Dead are really good. The others? Just ditch them - utterly wretched.

For those who WERE there (i.e. me) this is worth having, just for the history of the event. No other reason, for the overall quality sucks (aside from the book which is excellent).

Much much too expensive.

White Numbers [VINYL]
White Numbers [VINYL]
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nick Saloman....the nearly man of Countdown., 5 July 2013
This review is from: White Numbers [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Ok, the appearance with Richard Whiteley was a surprising bonus (although the hairy one didn't quite cut the mustard). I digress before I even start, so onto the man's music. I never managed to get hold of much of the early Woronzow vinyls....oh how I wish I had.... Triptych, Inner Marshland and Miasma...... wonderful and different..... then through the years, Any Gas Faster, The Aunty Winnie album etc. etc etc..... New River Head was my first vinyl, followed by that Twink co-op and Beatroots. Point is that I have always been a Frond man. Now this.....

...a blinder of a triple album with some of Nick's finest efforts. I don't intend citing individual offerings (bar one), as they kick the excitement brain particles as the early stuff did. On the LOUD tracks, there are elements of Dinosaur Jr. yet overall everything has the Saloman stamp of quality and my seal of approval.

SO....aforementioned one track..... Homemade Electric Jam. A 42 minute workout over 2 sides of blisteringly hot wax.... all my Desert Island Disc choices rolled into one. The best thing is that the vinyl comes with Autorip, so this jewel can be heard without any break in the seam. Am listening to it now.

Was that OK Nick ? When do I get paid ? :o) Joke. A truly truly great album.

Dvd ~ Reece Shearsmith
Price: 5.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the studio., 21 Mar 2013
.....this is just awful...... a series of puerile sketches which could have been written by Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning or any one of a hundred talentless sexist comedians. I LOVE the L.O.G (well, the first 2 series) and Psychoville was a sheer gem. This? Buy it and bin it. Better still, don't buy it in the first place. Absolutely dire.

B-STOCK CLEARWATER BARITONE ROUNDBACK ELECTRO ACOUSTIC UKE UKULELE - MEGA BARGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars A second ?, 21 Mar 2013
If that's the case, I shudder to think what a perfect one is like. Put simply, this is outstanding. Took me ages to unpackage the rascal, but once that was done...... well. It looks beautiful. The design is beautiful. It feels beautiful. This is a class bit of kit, and the sound ? Not plugged it in yet, but accoustically this is great anyway. Oh, I have bought a fair bit of stuff from RUMC over the years, but this is exceptionally good.

I cannot recommend this too highly.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience Fanpack: Live 1967/68 Paris/Ottawa (Vinyl+CD) (Large T-Shirt)
Price: 65.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanpack ?, 2 Mar 2013
The description of this item barely does it justice. Putting it simply, it is absolutely superb, surpassing all expectations. Not only do you get a marvellous psychedelic slice of vinyl, but also (wait for it)....... a CD, Poster, 3 badges, Tee shirt, Backstage Pass, and postcards. All packaged in a very sturdy box. Best twenty odd quid I've spent in ages :o)

Content  Ltd Edtion Can Boxset
Content Ltd Edtion Can Boxset
Price: 43.24

5.0 out of 5 stars The boys are back in town., 27 Feb 2013
Nuff said. Awesome.....play loud. Presentation and production are ace....Andy Gill has never sounded better. Get this if you like GOF.

Dvd ~ Reece Shearsmith
Price: 5.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub-Bernard Manning dross., 27 Feb 2013
Anyone considering buying this abomination should think again. While I love LOG series 1 and 2 (series 3 is a tad "iffy"), the team can't cut the mustard in producing their material on stage. What you get here (film excepted) is a mish mash of sketches, performed in pantomime style - yes, both live performances -, which quite honestly is about as funny as having one's toenails pliered. I imagine. Think of Jim Davison....Manning.... Chubby Brown. This is THAT bad. Better to stick to their classic series stuff and the Psychoville cycle than waste your money on this puerile rubbish. Sorry, lads.....it's a thumbs down.

Mummydogs CD
Mummydogs CD
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 6.81

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT TWR., 1 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mummydogs CD (Audio CD)
First album - only album (so far) by Mummydogs. This is not Thin White Rope, who in my mind were one of the greatest bands of all time. But it is the brainchild of Guy Kyser....a man who sounds like he gargles gravel. And manipulates guitar feedback like liquid metal.

This is a new band, but don't underestimate the driven beats and raw power contained in this disc. There are quiet moments, assured, but there are sequences of sheer guitar/band power. I have no intention of describing individual tracks, for that is up to the listener, but I can reccomend this offering wholeheartedly.

Not convinced ? No worries.....check this out on Spotify. I did, before buying on here.

Heartbreak Hotel: +'the King' Collector's Box [10" VINYL]
Heartbreak Hotel: +'the King' Collector's Box [10" VINYL]
Offered by Bridport Music
Price: 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like Elvis, 9 July 2012
...and then I got this. Listened to some of the early Sun stuff, and thought "hang on a mo, this is NOT Cheeseburger guzzling stuff", so I bought a cheap box set of Elvis's early CD's, and while I was not exactly hooked, it made a nice change from the feral guitars stuff and psychedelia which floats my boat.

I liked the box. So I bought it (cos I am OCD almost). The fact that each single is recreated immaculately on 10" vinyl was a great attraction. Oh....I got THIS one first, with just Heartbreak Hotel. Each single ? Whoops ! I bought the box set in completion later.

That's cheaper than buying THIS box and filling it with the other 17 singles item for item, but as a taster it's fine... and worth the money.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3