Profile for Jasper > Reviews

Aurora 12V G4 Unidirectional Capsule LED Bulbs - Warm White - 20W equivalent
Aurora 12V G4 Unidirectional Capsule LED Bulbs - Warm White - 20W equivalent
Offered by Lights4u

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far, 8 Mar. 2016
I bought one of these LED bulb units (2W warm white) to replace a 14W G4 halogen bulb in a down-light, one of three in a bookcase. The dimensions given were correct, and it just about fits into the light fitting (note there's a capacitor on the back, which in my case fits into the light fitting reflector). It is slightly brighter and whiter than the halogen in the next fitting, but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference - except it doesn't get as hot! No signs of a flicker or a buzz yet, but may have to look at replacing the transformer if I replace all of the halogens with these LEDs - and if they last as long as they say (30,000hrs) I'll be very happy to do so.

Sony Ericsson HiFi Bluetooth® Headset MW600, Black
Sony Ericsson HiFi Bluetooth® Headset MW600, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Dec. 2012
Only had it a few days; seems to work OK so far. Paired quickly and easily with my Sony Xperia U phone, Dell laptop and Sony laptop. Sound quality is good enough for me - listening to music from paired devices and from the built-in radio.

Surprised to find the charger supplied has a European plug (similar comments from other reviewers, but I thought one bought directly from Amazon would be OK) and disappointed this wasn't made clear when I ordered it. Fortunately my phone charger works with these earphones so I was able to charge them up. Maybe the European plugged charger will do for holidays abroad...

Also, song titles are dispayed when played from the laptops but not from my phone. I read somewhere that this might be a problem with Android phones, not the earphones or phone...

Octonauts Gup-A Mission Vehicle
Octonauts Gup-A Mission Vehicle

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun but doesn't propel itself well, 29 April 2012
Great fun for any Octonauts fan! My 3yr old son enjoys playing with the Gup A and accessories both in the bath and around the house. The clear plastic windscreen does come off quite easily, but clips back on again no problem (you may need an adult to help...).

The only slight failing is that it won't move by itself on the floor unless it is very smooth, and it barely makes any progress in the bath either. Doesn't seem to reduce the enjoyment however!

Braun Series 7 720s-4 Electric Foil Shaver
Braun Series 7 720s-4 Electric Foil Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shave, excellent battery life, 17 Mar. 2011
I've had this shaver since Christmas 2010 and I'm very pleased with it so far. I chose this model because of the movement of the cutting foils; the head tilts and the foils themselves move too, so it matches the contours of your face well. Gives a good close shave, though sometimes needs a couple of passes over the same spot. I don't have any irritation even on the highest setting (unlike some other reviewers). What is most impressive compared to my previous shaver is the battery life - it charges in 1hr and lasts me 14days (just). Not sure how this performance will be maintained as the battery ages, and I'd guess the replacement foils might be quite expensive (recommended to change every 18months) but a great shaver so far.

Caselogic VHS101 2.5 Inch Nylon Portable Hard Drive Case
Caselogic VHS101 2.5 Inch Nylon Portable Hard Drive Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Good case, 26 Feb. 2011
Bought this for my WD My Passport external hard drive - it fits well, padding feels like it would give good damage protection (fortunately haven't tested this yet!), and the cable can be stored in the external pocket without falling out.

Bench Ladies Dark Grey Bangle Style Watch
Bench Ladies Dark Grey Bangle Style Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixed wrist band, 12 Jan. 2011
Bought this some time ago as a gift for someone else - no negative feedback from them so far...

The wrist band on this watch can't be moulded to grip your wrist, so not good for someone with a small wrist unless they're happy with it flopping about. Otherwise, looks nice and seems well made.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Real Red Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Working fine so far..., 12 Jan. 2011
Chose this drive based on manufacturer, storage size and price. Other makes seem to be having more failures, according to reviews. Only had it for a month, but working well as an external back-up for my laptop (Windows Vista 32 bit home premium).

Set-up was just plug in and go - ignoring the "need to install a driver" window that popped up. File access is fast enough for me, only using the USB 2 functionality (seems to access photos as quickly as from the hard drive).

I haven't bothered with the in-built back up software having read some of the slightly negative reviews - I use Microsoft's SyncToy 2.1 (free to download) instead, which has worked well so far.

JBL On Tour Pocket-Sized Speaker System (Battery or AC power mini-jack connectivity)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good - minor build quality issues, 23 Aug. 2010
I've had these speakers 3 years now, and they're still going strong (intermittent use, but well travelled). Sound quality is quite good, considering their size (better than my Dell Studio laptop...)

The niggles I have are that the catch for the battery compartment broke after only limited use - and I'd been careful with it having read similar comments in other reviews! Without it, the cover still stays on, so not a big problem. The second niggle is that it doesn't seem to switch off (either by pressing both buttons or closing the lid), and so drains the batteries.

Overall I would recommend them, though there might be something newer and better on the market by now.

TomTom Traffic Receiver
TomTom Traffic Receiver

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work OK, 23 Aug. 2010
Purchased this along with a TomTom Start2 to give traffic information. First day of use it appeared to work for one journey then not at all (no acknowledgement by the Start2). This turned out to be a problem with the Start2's connector, not the traffic unit. Pressing the reset button on the Start2 cured it, and there've been no problems since. I'll avoid disconnecting it whilst the Start2 is switched on in future...

Used it on two long journeys. On both occasions there was occasional loss of traffic signal, but not for long - the message "Traffic Receiver Disconnected" seems to pop up when this happens, but it reconnects again when it gets a signal. There were two reports of delays and the Start2 calculated alternatives; but on both occasions as I neared the jam it cleared and I was routed back the original way!

The suction cups are a bit of a fiddle, especially if you're making frequent stops and want to remove it from sight, but only a small inconvenience.

Overall I think it will be a useful addition to the Start2.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2011 7:30 PM GMT

Birkenstock Davos Birko-Felt, Style-No. 142021, Unisex Clogs, Anthrazit, EU 43, normal width

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 23 April 2010
I was looking for a pair of slip-on slippers/shoes to wear round the house that wouldn't slip off as I ran upstairs. The inner contoured soles of these clogs mean they stay on fine. I found them uncomfortable for the first day or so, but gradually the soles (or my feet) adjusted and they're OK now. The soles are quite hard, so they're more like shoes than comfy slippers. Quality seems good - hoping they'll last to justify the price.

Size: I initially ordered my normal shoe size, but they were too large. Excellent service from Amazon (and the Post Office) - I posted them back on a Saturday morning and by Monday I had confirmation of a refund. I ordered a size smaller and they're fine.