Profile for Sci-fi-fantasyman > Reviews

Content by Sci-fi-fantasyman

Sci-fi-fantasyman "sci-fi-fantasyman" (London, UK)

Global Defense: Zombie War TD
Global Defense: Zombie War TD

4.0 out of 5 stars bloody good fun, 7 Aug. 2014
Top notch tower defense game, addictive, fun and still a decent challenge as you progress through the campaign, you will do d it hard to put down

A Sword Into Darkness
A Sword Into Darkness

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good read, 19 April 2014
Was looking for a new author and chose this, to say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement, a thoroughly good read and I am sure there will be a sequel coming, which I will be eagerly waiting for.

Bloons TD 5
Bloons TD 5

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant fun, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Bloons TD 5 (App)
Just good fun, have played versions on PC, but was pleasantly surprised by how well this played on my Kindle and best of all was a free download

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow (A Raven's Shadow Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read in a long time, 19 May 2013
The best book I have read in some time and can't wait for book two
Well worth the time and effort

Diabloskinz Vinyl Adhesive Skin Decal Sticker for Amazon Kindle Keyboard - Dragon and Faerie

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Protection, 30 Sept. 2011
Don't normally write reviews, but there is always an exception.

My Kindle was got for me as birthday present, so no accessories and was an unexpected gift. Ok my first thought was protection, it is pricy item, which I hope to get many years of use from, I did check the various covers, and decided the skin was the thing to get, provides protection from scratches etc and will cushion you Kindle from minor falls and knocks, but does not make your Kindle more bulky and therefore less convenient to carry, part of the Kindle attraction is that it is small, light and easily portable.

The added bonus is the design, it singles mine out as mine, and there are so many designs, I think you will be hard pushed to come across someone with the same as you.

All in all, a good simple product, that will help protect your Kindle and make it stand out

Grey Knights (Warhammer 40,000: Grey Knights)
Grey Knights (Warhammer 40,000: Grey Knights)
by Ben Counter
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Fantastic, 5 Mar. 2007
I have read several 40K books (I find the whole ethos quite intriguing) and this is one of the best I have read so far.

The plot is excellent and very involved, the action is as per other 40K books very bloody and quite grim, but at the same time is realistic, in war people die pure and simples.

But what sets this apart is the Grey Knights themselves and the Ordos Malleus who they work with. Things are grim, very grim indeed the Grey Knights are outnumbered, resources are few and far between, the enemy is extremely clever, deadly and ruthless in the extreme and they are running out of time. OK nothing new I hear some say the Space Marines are alwasy outnumbered, but on this occasion it is very relevant the odds really are against them and it is how the Grey Knights face this that grabs you and keeps you reading.

The leader of the Grey Knights in this story is Alaric a junior officer and this is one of the few times where we we get to see the marines exercise their grey matter and not just their trigger fingers and Alaric's growth as a leader as a result is one the main themes of the story (I personally hope we see more of him), his bond with his men grows as a result.

You also see some of the worst and the best that man in the 4OK universe has to offer. The sacrifice that the Grey Knights and the Ordos Malleus make to preserve the safety of humanity is quite humbling, but at the same time man's own inhumanity to himself in order to maintain the protection of same humanity is quite horrific.

A very good read

Faded Sun Trilogy
Faded Sun Trilogy
by C. J. Cherryh

5.0 out of 5 stars A awsome book, 21 Nov. 2006
This review is from: Faded Sun Trilogy (Paperback)
I have read many sci-fi and fantasy books over the years and this one of ones I have re-read several times because I love it.

Sten Duncan is a very good hero who endures much, has many disadvantages when compared to the alien Mri, but in the end not only begins to understand their culture and way of thinking but also shows the Mri that humanity is not neccessarily their enemy.

Both the Mri and the Regul are well thought out, the Mri, honourable and uncompromising and unwilling to change their ways which to a large extent is their failing and why they are in such dire straits and the Regul, self serving and untrustworthy, their scheming amongst themselves and with Humans and Mri leads to their downfall.

I suspect that Cherryh will not write anymore about the Mri which is shame as the end of the story points to Human and Mri having a strong and beneficial future as both races learn something about themselves and each other and for the Mri in particular it may well be that for the first time in their long history they have found a race whom not only will respect them but try to understand and live with them.

I recommend this to anyone although I would definately buy the triloy in this version rather than in seperate books.