Profile for Philadelphus > Reviews

Content by Philadelphus

Philadelphus (New Quay, Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Hozelock 4in1 Porta Shower
Hozelock 4in1 Porta Shower

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - will not pressurise, 15 May 2014
This refused to work from the box - all valves etc screwed in tightly and checked by two people, but it would not pressurise even slightly. I put it straight back in the box and returned it. Some seem to work, but others have had this problem too, so try at your risk!

Sennheiser RS 180 Open Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
Sennheiser RS 180 Open Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, couple of design flaws, 14 Dec 2013
These solve several problems for me: I like to have the door open as much as possible to let large dogs decide when they are in and out but don't want to disturb the neighbours; my old dog gets upset by sinister music like Shostakovich's Leningrad Symphony; I don't want to spend on a multi-room system when I hope to move to open plan but want to have good sound as I move about.

So wireless headphones are a great idea in principle. In practice these sound great, there is no interference, they hardly ever drop out and then only for a split second if I move too quickly when I'm a long way from the transmitter.

But as others have said, the small flush control buttons on the headphones, with on/off between volume up and volume down are a real pain. Even though I have small fingers I still often turn off when I am trying to turn down. The other problem is that you have to take off the earpads to replace the rechargeable batteries in the phones. You won't have to do this often if you use good rechargeables unless you forget to charge the phones in the cradle. But when you do, the plastic tabs that clip the pads to the phones are too flimsy and easily broken. One of mine was a very stiff fit, so a tab has been broken in the struggle to get it off, superglue has failed and I have had to get a new set.

I would take off rather more than one star for all this if there had been a decent alternative. But there wasn't when I got them, and sonically they really do work for me.

Vibram FiveFingers Spyridon LS Running Shoes
Vibram FiveFingers Spyridon LS Running Shoes

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT designed for wide feet! Nice sole pattern., 24 May 2013
The Spyridon LS lacing system is specifically supposed to accommodate wide feet and high insteps. It doesn't. The closed laces are so short and lacking stretch that it is impossible for someone like me, with exactly that sort of foot, to get them on. At least the standard Spyridon stretches. I had to cut the laces and put in ordinary ones to get my foot in.

I wish I hadn't. This is the only Fivefingers model I have tried that has turned out be uncomfortable. The decorative strip that crosses the top of the foot and runs down the big toe holds my toe where it doesn't want to be. This is silly since it has no practical function. I have persisted but this model is too painful for extended use.

The second star on what is for me a useless shoe is because the sole is very good on rough ground and moderate mud. I wish they would use it on other models, especially the water-resistant ones.

Vibram Five Fingers Women's Wn Kso Trek Synthetic Trainer
Vibram Five Fingers Women's Wn Kso Trek Synthetic Trainer
Price: £68.53 - £102.41

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Five Fingers, 2 May 2013
This is not a fake as suggested by the other though the item heading is weird. It is the KSO Trek and made of Kangaroo leather, not synthetic material. I have two pairs and find them easily the most comfortable Five Fingers. The indeed do not have the usual yellow logo. Good! You can check it out at Vibram.it

The leather is wonderfully soft but mine have stood up to a lot of work. The sole is now worn on my three year old pair, but they have done miles on rough ground.

I did consider taking a star off because you will end up with dye all over your feet the first time you get them wet, but decided they are worth five anyway.

Vibram Five Fingers Women's Flow Trek Trainer
Vibram Five Fingers Women's Flow Trek Trainer

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured my knee problems, 2 May 2013
Have been wearing these as much as possible for two years. Whem I do my knee doesn't hurt. If I spend any time in ordinary walking boots and shoes it starts to hurt. I have much better balance to cross streams and boulder hop too.

Yes they are different and challenging to put on at first but it gets easier as they shape to your foot. Vibram's size guide has you measure foot length to get the right size. If you have a high volume foot instead of a slim low volume Italian foot you may need to go bigger especially on closed models like this.

Kenwood Metallics Kettle - Latte Steel
Kenwood Metallics Kettle - Latte Steel
Offered by Burrows Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Very slow to switch off, 2 Dec 2012
This kettle has lasted a year so far which should be nothing to celebrate, but I know from other reviews that kettles don't last. However I have to hover over it whilst it boils because if left it takes ages to switch off once it has come to the boil, wasting energy and filling the kitchen with steam.

Into The Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest
Into The Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest
by Wade Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Marred by mistakes and misconceptions..., 14 Nov 2012
.....which is a pity, because it's interesting.

I suppose it doesn't matter that much that the ancient town of Shrewsbury has apparently shrunk to a village when news of Wilfred Owen's death arrived. Nor that Mr Davis thinks there are Downs in Suffolk -at least I know of none apart from Suffolk Downs racecourse in Massachusetts. But the accumulation of lots of errors like this makes me suspicious of the rest of the book.

And as for whoppers like the notion that all Commonwealth War Grave Commission Cemeteries are simply mass graves with headstones cynically placed randomly and that all relatives visiing were just standing above a few unidentifiable fragments (some were of course), I gave up reading for several months after getting to that bit.

That sort of myth making isn't needed to make the point of the dreadfulness of the war. In fact it was the awfulness that prompted the subsequent years of grim work disinterring bodies, identifying them where possible for single graves, jamming headstones together to show where there is a mass grave of victims whose remains couldn't be separated, putting "known unto God" where they didn't know who they had got, and for people who had been vapourised or irretrievably buried carving their names on mass monuments like the Menin Gate. Ordinary folk killed in European war before that were largely forgotten and thrown into mass graves but the shock of this war forced something different and it's a very interesting story in its own right.

I'm open to the outside view that makes you look again at what you think you know, but only if the author is authoritative. I wonder what Mr Davis would make of a British author making similar mistakes about his native US.

I think the mountain side of the book is more reliable and other reviews explain why it is interesting. But beware if you are the sort of reader who expects authors to get their facts right. I certainly think the mistakes should have ruled out the recent award!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 11:54 AM BST

Klean Kanteen Wide Loop Cap
Klean Kanteen Wide Loop Cap

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wide necked bottle, 12 Nov 2012
Currently my favourte bottles -don't leak, bounce when dropped and the wide neck makes using a UV steriliser easy when I need to refill on the go. For anyone like the other reviewer who wants a narrow neck bottle, Kleen Kanteen also make those in sizes from 12oz up.

Hand-e-holder: Universal Tablet Holder
Hand-e-holder: Universal Tablet Holder
Offered by Handeholder Products, Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cured ny permanent thumb sprain, 11 May 2012
I use an Ipad a lot when sitting in an armchair. I developed a permanent pain in the joint connecting my thumb to my hand. I don't know if holding the Ipad caused it but it certainly kept it going. I got this holder to take the pressure off the joint: complete cure, so worth the money.

Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War
Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War
by Peter H. Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Exhausting, 29 April 2012
Weighty historical tomes are generally my thing. I read Wedgewood on the Thirty Years War many years ago and was greatly looking forward to this. I have to applaud the aim of looking widely at the context and covering the politics comprehensively. But I agree with the other two star reviewer - what a bore! Exhaustive does not have to mean grindingly exhausting. Narrative drive is easier when you have an axe to grind but historical detachment could still be absorbing. Somehow there is never any focus. I didn't finish it either.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6