Profile for D. Davies > Reviews

Content by D. Davies

D. Davies

Doctor Who Return to Earth (Wii)
Doctor Who Return to Earth (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Less fun than a giant maggot., 24 Jan. 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
We didn't have particularly high expectations for this. A TV tie-in, that was announced and released in a relatively short space of time. But it is hard to believe how poor this game is. We must own twenty or thirty games for the Wii, and this is the worst. Poor graphics are formatted for 4:3 screens, so even with the Wii in 16:9 mode, you'll have to choose between a picture that is stretched horizontally, or with black bars on the side, on your widescreen tv. The game seems to be a series of puzzles - nothing complex - find the way to the door, find a red crystal, point and shoot, move a ball through a maze...etc. After a few minutes of being alternatively bored and bemused by it, it crashed the Wii. And perhaps we've been lucky...but i can't recall that ever happening before with anything else. Poor effort. Dare I say, Doctor Who fans will be better off with the games on the BBC website?

Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Withnail And I [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard E. Grant
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful transfer of a great movie, 21 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Withnail And I [1986] [DVD] (DVD)
I'm sorry to say, one of my favourite films has been marred by a truly awful transfer here. What's wrong? Very poor pictures and audio. The aspect ratio is incorrectly specified. it is a wide-screen presentation formatted for a 4:3 screen or 'letterbox'- most unusual for a relatively recent release? if you have a 16:9 screen you can 'zoom' to the correct ratio, but then lose vertical resolution. I'm afraid the transfer itself is poor; poorly graded and with heavy handed use of digital noise reduction, leading to poor contrast, low saturation and frequent motion blurring/smearing. Audio, is sibilant, poorly compressed, and has excessive noise and hiss during quieter parts. The audio may also be 'out of phase' at times, it certainly sounds it, but i am unable to check that at home.

I really love this movie and am so disappointed that it's been released to DVD in this state - at whatever price! I only hope that the 'digitally remastered' or indeed the blu-ray releases i can now see on amazon have addressed these issues.

Smarty Pants (Wii)
Smarty Pants (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited appeal, 16 Mar. 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Smarty Pants (Wii) (Video Game)
A bit disappointing. You can't use your mii in solo mode, and friends mode requires a wii remote for each person (we only have one). So that leaves us with family mode, which is ok for 'co-operative play', but means my six year old can't 'spin the wheel' to choose a category as illustrated on the box.
Then the frustration is very UK centric questions - can a five year old name a tudor monarch? - and the fact that we have to swap the remote between players, against the clock, despite the fact that we encourage the kids to use the wii remote's wrist strap!
seriously, this would be much better if you have a remote each. but we're in no hurry to buy more remotes for this.