Profile for Apollo 11 > Reviews

skinChemists Bee Venom Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Bee Venom Moisturiser 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly taut skin., 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely stuff. I was pretty excited about giving this a try, and it certainly works. My skin feels firm, and the great thing is (aside from the fact you don't need to lavish this on), if I miss a day, my facial skin still looks improved.

This moisturiser comes in a lovely bottle (throw the box away, and get straight down to the container, it's a design dream in itself), and applies at the touch of a button. As I said, you won't need a lot - and the results are quickly noticeable. Using collagen, it's the same principle as under-eye serum, so there's noticeable tautness, which feels odd at first. But then again, that's what we're here for - tighter skill that defies the gravitational challenges of age.

Perfume-wise, while my friend tried it and couldn't detect a scent on herself within the hour, I can still smell mine. I'm not completely sold, as it reminds me of josticks - which at this price, I was surprised about. (It might smell exotic if you've never been into a head shop - but otherwise it shuttled me back to being a student.)

Overall though, this really does a great job - and once you've had it for a few days, you'll not what to be without.

Go on, treat yourself!

WD-40 400ml Specialist Motorbike Chain Lube
WD-40 400ml Specialist Motorbike Chain Lube
Offered by ONE SAFE SOURCE

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better..., 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It certainly does the job, but I would have liked (a) a straw with this, as getting it where needed on the chain was a challenge; and (b) a quicker drying time. This lube certainly does what it says on the tin (and it beats boiling your chain in grease!), but if you don't let this dry, it'll fling when you're out. Recommended, but I did expect better from WD40.

Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3
Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3

3.0 out of 5 stars It's in the ingredients..., 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Cats aren't the best barometers! They're fussy and particular, and I doubt any two are the same. I wasn't sure he'd like Sheba - after all, he's been eating another brand for several years without any complaints. But even putting a treat on the top - a sure-fire way to get him grazing -- didn't work.

Which is not to say there's anything wrong with Sheba; it was just my cat's preference. That said, I checked the ingredients, and it doesn't seem there's anything particularly special in Sheba: in fact, in a given flavour (tune or chicken, say), there's only 4% meat or fish - the rest is made up of derivatives. Which makes Sheba no different to Felix or Whiskas.

So, as they say - you pays your money, and makes your choice.

Mindfulness: Living Through Challenges and Enriching Your Life in This Moment
Mindfulness: Living Through Challenges and Enriching Your Life in This Moment
by Richard W. Sears

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide and tool to mindfulness, 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most 'self-help' books sell for being easily consumed. We want to get better, but either we're too busy to sit down and properly read up on the wheres and the whys - or too scared to peek inside. Either way, publishers trade on the myth of the easy-fix.

Sears' book falls into the other category. It's no flicker-book. I doubt card or book shops will stock it by the till - and it probably won't end up in people's bathrooms.

Which isn't to say this is a text-book. It could be; as it's well researched, insightful and expertly laid out. It's engaging and well written; humorous in all the right places - and for the author's voice, a great friend to go exploring with. But, I guess, what I'm trying to get across is that it's reassuringly thorough.

We're simple - and complicated -- creatures. Our intellects over-ride our bodies; we tell ourselves we're okay, that there's a pill for everything. That, even illness is temporary. But, really, we're just machines. And machines always, eventually, go wrong. If we overwork them, steam comes out, and bits break.

It's an easy idea to get our heads around - but, again, modern life and our egos get in the way, telling us to keep grinding away. Mindfulness, however, teaches us (as does meditation: the practice upon which 'mindfulness' is based, by way of a western re-brand) that there's energy to be found in little silences. That, if we become aware of and hunt out these little silences, we can draw upon them. Use them as anchor-points; as stepping stones, to get through the day.

To get to read a book like Sears' is to be given a great tour around the way we work on the inside. Our consciousness work on many levels (obviously, otherwise we wouldn't need books like this to reveal our true natures), and the chemicals our thoughts generate, via stress or sadness or anger, or exhaustion, impact on the way our cogs turn.

And once we understand this, becoming aware of silence is a revelation - because it is the realisation as to how crowded our lives really are. Music, television, computers, traffic; city streets - we never give our senses, or our brains, a moment to rest. And machines that never stop, inevitably, have a tendency to go wrong.

Obviously no book is ever going to cure us. We have to do that ourselves. But Sears' Mindfulness is one of the best 'self-help' books - the guides to better self awareness that I've come across.

As it is, I reckon this book would be excellent for anybody who feels like they need to do some work on themselves. Sure, you're going to need to set time aside to read it. But in doing so, you'll get to know more about yourself and - ironically - stop for long enough to enjoy the break.

It would be great as a learning tool for a therapist in-training, given how thorough it is.

Highly recommended.

Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this stuff!, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My golly, the tube is goooood. Okay, sure - lip-balm is lip-balm. Or so I thought until I tried Carmex. Both the tube and pot are excellent, but the tube tops it, for the ability to really get a good gloss on.

Ultimately, though, the proof is in the product - and Carmex, unlike a great many balms, doesn't dry your lips out. The hint of fennel has a menthol effect. And once applied, lasts an age.

Price-wise, I'd say these are really competitive. But, for me, the tube wins.

HP Standard Sleeve for 15.6 inch - White
HP Standard Sleeve for 15.6 inch - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sleeve I've had..., 30 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first couple of carriers I had for my laptop were - in order -- a veritable briefcase, with a strap worthy of a bazooka; and then, a wetsuit-type sleeve so lightweight that had I dropped my computer, it would have done nothing to save the day.

This HP sleeve, however, is brilliantly placed between the two. From the outside, it's slick, with a leather-like appearance. And from within, there's fir lining, which gives it some padding. I'm not sure whether the white will stay, well, white for too long. But otherwise, it's a great sleeve. The side-pocket is plenty roomy, and not so tight on the sleeve, making storage of pens, etc, comfortable.

Excellent

Rexel A4 Budget 2 Ring Binder - Assorted Colour (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Budget 2 Ring Binder - Assorted Colour (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value folders..., 30 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thought these were excellent value. To get 10 at this price is fantastic, and a huge encouragement to get my filing in order.

Buying files can be off-putting - the thought of having to go out and spend a fortune on more than one ring binder, is enough to make anyone stuff everything into a single purchase. But at this price for 10, well, hello, organisation.

Okay, they're not super-sturdy, as if they're made out of MDF (they're plastic; flexible), but they're perfect for projects. And getting 10 - two in each colour: green, black, red, blue and yellow -- is great value.

Highly recommended.

Rexel A4 Advance Stay Put Pocket and Prong Folder - Navy (Pack of 5)
Rexel A4 Advance Stay Put Pocket and Prong Folder - Navy (Pack of 5)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fussy with the flaps..., 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Interesting... but I'm not entirely convinced by these Rexel binders. They're very clever: their spines are concertinaed, so they'll expand to how ever much paper is added. Plus, there are several flaps (one on either inside), and a fastened pocket (seen in the pic, on the lower back). But they're fiddly; a bit like a boy-racer's Escort - all tricked out with little details that, rather than elevating them, render them gimmicky. And I think, after a few days use - opening and closing them in class or at meetings -- all the flaps and fastening items would get on your nerves.

Less is more, to be honest.

GILDA Perfect Eye Cream
GILDA Perfect Eye Cream

4.0 out of 5 stars Best eye cream I've used, 9 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Blimey, this is good stuff. First things first: the tube is long, so there's plenty to this purchase. Okay, it's not cheap, but - hand on heart -- this is the best under-eye cream I've ever used.

The applicator is clever: rather than squeezing the cream onto your finger, the nozzle has a slanted head, smoothed off edges and tiny pin-prick holes in the head, allowing for direct-to-skin transfer. It's a neat little feature.

The star is the cream itself, though. And right from the first use I noticed an obvious difference. In fact, it was so good that, given I suffer from dreadful bags, I had a blatant lightened stripe running under each eye.

The first couple of goes the skin under my eyes felt warm, but as the cream is slowly absorbed, it settled down. And now, well, I can see what all the fuss was about. You get what you pay for, surely enough. But GILDA's eye cream is pretty darn fantastic.

Toni & Guy Men Styling Fibre - 75 ml
Toni & Guy Men Styling Fibre - 75 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, feels natural - gorgeous smell..., 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gorgeous smell. Something to do with oranges and cinnamon, maybe some cloves - not too sweet, but neither is it strong and pungent. Just lovely. And while there's always a strength issue with styling products, irrespective of whether they're from salons or supermarkets, this Toni & Guy styling fibre is just right. Not so toxic that it cakes your hair and makes you look like you've been dipped in sugar-water... Nevertheless, there's plenty of strength there - and the ability to remould. A bonus being that, if I run my fingers through my hair, they don't come out gloopy.

I've got short hair right now, and the control is spot-on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20