Profile for Apollo 11 > Reviews

Content by Apollo 11

Apollo 11 (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Guilty Gadgets - 10M Metre Male to Male RF TV Aerial Lead Cable Coaxial Extension Female Digital with Coupler
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars You could live in a palace!, 18 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
That's handy! I've lost count of how many times I've moved into a new place and found the TV aerial suddenly isn't long enough. So, while 10 metres of cable should be enough for the majority of homes, also getting an adapter that allows for this to be joined to a second cable is fab. You could live in a palace and, I wager, still have enough cable to go around.

The adapter is the same each end (female to female), which means you can add another standard TV aerial cable to it, and, hey presto, you've got oodles of cable reach.

The cable and adapter are both white, with gold-plated connectors - which is neat, and less oppressive than the standard black (or brown!) However, the adapter metal is quite soft, and bends easily, so you might find it growing lose over the years.

Other than that, though, at these prices, I reckon it's a bargain.

Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red
Leitz Style 40 Pocket Display Book - Garnet Red

4.0 out of 5 stars I'd say this is a pretty good buy, 13 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Does exactly what it says on the label: a slim, forty-pocket book, for documents, pictures, etc. The binding is softback, and there's no needless bulk. So, all in, this is a winner. Plus, the stickers that are attached at the time of purchase, come off without either a battle or the need to resort to white-spirit.

For the price, I'd say this is a pretty good buy.

Wild Bill [DVD]
Wild Bill [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlie Creed-Miles
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars A great, great British movie, 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: Wild Bill [DVD] (DVD)
Superb. A western transposed to housing estate London, Wild Bill has guts and a big heart. A great, great British movie.

Kid Galaxy Soft and Squeezable Light and Sound Vehicle Fire Truck
Kid Galaxy Soft and Squeezable Light and Sound Vehicle Fire Truck

3.0 out of 5 stars Big and squidgy and... noises!, 16 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Big, colourful, makes great siren noises - and it's squidgy. I did wonder, 'Why a squidgy firetruck', but then it became obvious. The 2 year old lad who got this loves to bash things together, or into furniture. So having something that's not entirely solid makes sense.

It's a lovely, colourful toy; and the two programmed sounds went down a treat (but not with his parents). I think it's a little on the expensive side.

But the lad loves it, so that's what counts.

Cannibal [DVD]
Cannibal [DVD]
Dvd ~ Antonio de la Torre

4.0 out of 5 stars Good taste!, 11 Nov 2014
This review is from: Cannibal [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay, it's a well worn road, but don't let that put you off Cannibal. Visually, it's gorgeous; and de la Torre is brilliant in the lead, as a tailor with a taste for human flesh. We're not in Hollywood anymore, Toto, so pace-wise, this is slower than your average mainstream flick. But if you're after a foreign language movie about a cannibal tailor, I'm guessing that's not going to be a problem.

Story-wise, this is smart. Something of a love triangle - a former victim's sister comes looking for her, and love blossoms. There's more to it than that, but if I said too much more, there'd be no point in you watching this. After Hannibal (the TV series), I thought the genre was pretty much tied up; but Cannibal proved me wrong. Just as sumptuous to look at, and no less of a punch in the violence stakes, Cannibal is grisly but only in moderate bursts.

Highly recommended.

Case Logic CRIE2136K Rotating Slim Folio Cover for iPad Air - Black
Case Logic CRIE2136K Rotating Slim Folio Cover for iPad Air - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Seriously overpriced, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sorry, doesn't get my vote. For the price, I was expecting a much better quality product than this - and my overriding feeling about this is, it's tacky.

Overall: the design function has this like a standard book-style cover. The material - which is non-slip rubber -- is fine. But the catch is plastic... and who in their right mind decided it would look great in pale yellow? Straight out of the packet, it looks faded. However, colour would be fine if it wasn't clumsy to open - and each time I prised it open, I was convinced something was going to break.

However, inside, this case is a bit of a hybrid. Your iPad clamps into a plastic frame; and because the frame is beveled, it can rotate - and, like foldout-style covers, enables your iPad to be stood up. Cleverly, this can be done in either landscape or portrait. But less appealing is the way its all a bit trial and error, and... well, a bit tacky, to be honest. Getting your iPad to stand up in either format requires some messing around; and when it's there, it doesn't look half as good as the standard, foldable covers.

Having spent £400 on an iPad, putting this cover around it, with its plastic frames and sticky dull yellow plastic catches and clunky swiveling actions, felt like it was a downgrade.

Seriously overpriced, and a bit bargain-bin to be honest.

Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (9 ft / 2.7m)
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 A to B Cable (9 ft / 2.7m)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 11 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now that's how you do leads. Personally, I rate the Amazon Basics range; I've a few items on my desk (mouse and pad included), and they're very good quality, minimalist in design, and have weathered extremely well. But in terms of this product - perfect. The connectors are gold-plated, and therefore great for conducting signal - and at 9ft, as opposed to the usual six, using them around the desk area is soooo much easier.

Excellent value.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Spidey movie yet, 28 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (DVD)
Ignore the lack of hoopla around this, admittedly hasty, reboot - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is arguably the best Spidey so far. As someone who grew up reading Spider-Man comics in the Seventies, this is pretty darn close to the strip. Okay, the tendency for comic book movies is to overload them with too many villains; however, I reckon this got it just about right.

Highly recommended.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Feels cheap, 7 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For me, this Pinzon Basics Shower Curtain seems more like a rubber sheet. In other words, cheap. Out of the packet, it's brilliant white, and to the touch is exactly the same as swimming cap material. I suspect it would show dirt quickly - certainly wouldn't stand for a run through the washing machine. And wet, I suspect it would stick unpleasantly to wet walls and/or people.

Didn't like it at all.

Scandinavian Baking: Loving Baking at Home
Scandinavian Baking: Loving Baking at Home
by Trine Hahnemann

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential - and gorgeous!, 26 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has got to be a contender for most gorgeous cookbook of the year. Yes, it's beautifully put together, from its feel to photos, paper quality and layout - but, oh my golly, this book made me want to move into a flat above a Scandinavian bakers.

Front-loaded with cakes and pastries, before moving onto breads and savouries, if you're thinking 'what do I need a book on Scandinavian baking for?', I'd beg you to think again, because Scandi baking is just British baking nudged left-field. The flavours are bold (spelt orange cake? yes please!) but the concoctions are quite basic and seasonally inspired - and yet there's something deeply appealing about how they pimp them for the table. (Autumn apple and hazelnut layer cake? Go on, then...)

Section-wise, first there's 'cream cakes and layer cakes', which kicks off with a one-two of Walnut Macaroon Layer Cake followed by some chocolate covered choux pastries (called, solely for their shape, 'potato cakes') that had me hooked. Yes, there's plenty of cream and choux in here; but that's only because they're so gosh-darn gorgeous. (Raspberry eclairs? How could you not?)

Inevitably there's a section called 'danish pastries' - but here you begin to see the similarities between our two national tastes. Spiced or cinnamon buns are the kind of simple pleasures that make stopping for tea or coffee something beyond - and throw in some redcurrants, maybe a honey glaze or, as the book shifts across into breads, get with some rye or sprinkles of poppy seeds, and everyday foods suddenly transcend.

The latter sections cover bread, then dips into festive treats. (Almond cookies? Yum... Little spiced apple pies, which are like mince pies, but done with apple and, well, spices... Can I have another?) And if (like me) you've toyed with idea of getting into baking bread, but worried (like me) that it might be a complicated affair, then I promise you, these Scandinavian breads (rye rolls...or spelt and anise crispbreads) will have you abandon all fear.

I can't recall a time when I've read every word of a cookbook so slavishly - or felt my heart beat quite so ecstatically, as I flicked through the pages. Moreover (and to me, this is the sign of a good and valuable cookbook) never have I been so motivated to get off the couch and into the kitchen. Quadrille are, to me, the dons of the cookbook world, and design-wise they can't be beat. But this, for packed flavours, has to be one of their best. (And no, I don't work for them - I'm just a book junkie, and can't say no to a beautifully made tome.)

Whether you're a doer, a trier or simply a Bake-off fan with pending aspirations, this book is essential.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20