Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now
Profile for Apollo 11 > Reviews

The Oxford Illustrated History of World War Two
by Richard Overy

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never really been one for WW2 books - but this is a truly fantastic work.

Another book on WW2? Well, yes. But what a rich trove of editorial and (photographic, propaganda and art) archive this is. Written by multiple contributors, each handling a different, themed chapter, this has the depth and scope of a textbook but without the starchiness. The tone is hardly florid, but neither is it dry - there's little in the way of bias that I can tell (so far), and the benefit of distance (as is highlighted in the book's introduction) allows for greater perspective. Both on the beginnings but also the ends of the conflict.

In other words, the book doesn't just start on the eve of the war and end at the American nuclear attack of Japan - rather this book provides great insight into the build-up, not only in Germany but also Japan (offering insight on how the Japanese authorities appropriated aspects of Hitler's social policies), as well as a long-tail run-off, covering the Cold War, Korea, etc.

I particularly liked the way the story was carried forth using chapters on technological innovation, and the war's influence on art and creativity (interesting observation: the book neatly discusses how, for its repeat, the ideological/philosophical shock of WW2 was less than that of the first world war). There's also a chapter on the uses of propaganda, and its common-place use in everyday life during the Cold War, which I think best typifies the editorial scope of this book: showing how, like all impacts, WW2 reverberates still - to this day, in fact, for influencing aspects of life that we otherwise take for granted (such as technology or styles of political rhetoric).

The balance of this book is, I'd say, 75% text. But the remainder of illustrations is a very well researched mix of photos, yes, but also propaganda posters, artworks and maps and illustrations. Moreover, given the use of different writers for each chapter, the narrative flow is such that it maintains interest, especially through the use of themes, such as art or weaponry, to carry forth. (I'd also say that the fact this is mostly B&W might, on first inspection, seem dour. But stick with the book, and pretty soon it's wealth of information and editorial scope will draw you in.)

Highly recommended for anyone keen to learn about the WW2, be they at home or, especially, for studying. You won't need a degree to get much out of its text - but neither is it dumbed-down sensationalism.

Essential for any library, I'd say.

Summer at Tiffany's
Summer at Tiffany's
by Karen Swan

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, escapist read., 15 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Summer at Tiffany's (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How to define Karen Swan? Thinking woman's romance writer seems about right. With an eye for the little details that make life worth living, Swan's characters are far from cliches. Yes, her books are escapist, aspirational and nobody seems to work a boring job (for long); there's travel and sunshine, but the author writes expertly for women of all ages.

And sure, this is feelgood romance to warm the soul. But where Swan rises above the pack is in her energy for pace and evocation of place. Arguably Summer At Tiffany's surrounds Cassie with too many characters, who at times slow the narrative flow. But Swan's power to evoke place and personality are enough to maintain interest.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for an enjoyable, escapist read.

The Inner Enemies of Democracy
The Inner Enemies of Democracy
by Tzvetan Todorov

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant history of an idea., 15 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Superb. What I thought was going to be a book about the abuse of democracy in our age, ended up being a philosophical history book. That's the only way I can describe Todorov's brilliant undertaking - because if you're merely going on the front-cover, you could get this book seriously wrong.

From the conceptual birth of democracy, and its steady growth as (who knew?) an alternative to (and eventually the destroyer of) religion, this book maps the evolution of ideas that have formed democracy throughout history. Yes, the book reads like a thesis at times, but it's far from starchy and was pacey enough that it kept me reading, wanting to see where democracy went next.

As a work, the philosophical theme really opened my eyes (not least because I realised I was consuming some weighty observations about what drives us as human beings), and I would immediately recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the rise and declines of religion and (arguably) politics as world forces. To map democracy from its conception right up to today, is one heck of a study. But, honestly, the way Todorov tracks 'it' feels exciting. In a way, as a reader, I already knew the end (because we're living it today) but the thrill was in seeing how all the dots joined up.

Very, very (very) good.

skinChemists Bee Venom Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Bee Venom Moisturiser 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly taut skin., 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely stuff. I was pretty excited about giving this a try, and it certainly works. My skin feels firm, and the great thing is (aside from the fact you don't need to lavish this on), if I miss a day, my facial skin still looks improved.

This moisturiser comes in a lovely bottle (throw the box away, and get straight down to the container, it's a design dream in itself), and applies at the touch of a button. As I said, you won't need a lot - and the results are quickly noticeable. Using collagen, it's the same principle as under-eye serum, so there's noticeable tautness, which feels odd at first. But then again, that's what we're here for - tighter skill that defies the gravitational challenges of age.

Perfume-wise, while my friend tried it and couldn't detect a scent on herself within the hour, I can still smell mine. I'm not completely sold, as it reminds me of josticks - which at this price, I was surprised about. (It might smell exotic if you've never been into a head shop - but otherwise it shuttled me back to being a student.)

Overall though, this really does a great job - and once you've had it for a few days, you'll not what to be without.

Go on, treat yourself!

WD-40 400ml Specialist Motorbike Chain Lube
WD-40 400ml Specialist Motorbike Chain Lube
Offered by ONE SAFE SOURCE

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better..., 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It certainly does the job, but I would have liked (a) a straw with this, as getting it where needed on the chain was a challenge; and (b) a quicker drying time. This lube certainly does what it says on the tin (and it beats boiling your chain in grease!), but if you don't let this dry, it'll fling when you're out. Recommended, but I did expect better from WD40.

Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3
Sheba Tray Sauce Lover Mixed Selection, 85 g, Pack of 3

3.0 out of 5 stars It's in the ingredients..., 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Cats aren't the best barometers! They're fussy and particular, and I doubt any two are the same. I wasn't sure he'd like Sheba - after all, he's been eating another brand for several years without any complaints. But even putting a treat on the top - a sure-fire way to get him grazing -- didn't work.

Which is not to say there's anything wrong with Sheba; it was just my cat's preference. That said, I checked the ingredients, and it doesn't seem there's anything particularly special in Sheba: in fact, in a given flavour (tune or chicken, say), there's only 4% meat or fish - the rest is made up of derivatives. Which makes Sheba no different to Felix or Whiskas.

So, as they say - you pays your money, and makes your choice.

Mindfulness: Living Through Challenges and Enriching Your Life in This Moment
Mindfulness: Living Through Challenges and Enriching Your Life in This Moment
by Richard W. Sears

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide and tool to mindfulness, 27 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most 'self-help' books sell for being easily consumed. We want to get better, but either we're too busy to sit down and properly read up on the wheres and the whys - or too scared to peek inside. Either way, publishers trade on the myth of the easy-fix.

Sears' book falls into the other category. It's no flicker-book. I doubt card or book shops will stock it by the till - and it probably won't end up in people's bathrooms.

Which isn't to say this is a text-book. It could be; as it's well researched, insightful and expertly laid out. It's engaging and well written; humorous in all the right places - and for the author's voice, a great friend to go exploring with. But, I guess, what I'm trying to get across is that it's reassuringly thorough.

We're simple - and complicated -- creatures. Our intellects over-ride our bodies; we tell ourselves we're okay, that there's a pill for everything. That, even illness is temporary. But, really, we're just machines. And machines always, eventually, go wrong. If we overwork them, steam comes out, and bits break.

It's an easy idea to get our heads around - but, again, modern life and our egos get in the way, telling us to keep grinding away. Mindfulness, however, teaches us (as does meditation: the practice upon which 'mindfulness' is based, by way of a western re-brand) that there's energy to be found in little silences. That, if we become aware of and hunt out these little silences, we can draw upon them. Use them as anchor-points; as stepping stones, to get through the day.

To get to read a book like Sears' is to be given a great tour around the way we work on the inside. Our consciousness work on many levels (obviously, otherwise we wouldn't need books like this to reveal our true natures), and the chemicals our thoughts generate, via stress or sadness or anger, or exhaustion, impact on the way our cogs turn.

And once we understand this, becoming aware of silence is a revelation - because it is the realisation as to how crowded our lives really are. Music, television, computers, traffic; city streets - we never give our senses, or our brains, a moment to rest. And machines that never stop, inevitably, have a tendency to go wrong.

Obviously no book is ever going to cure us. We have to do that ourselves. But Sears' Mindfulness is one of the best 'self-help' books - the guides to better self awareness that I've come across.

As it is, I reckon this book would be excellent for anybody who feels like they need to do some work on themselves. Sure, you're going to need to set time aside to read it. But in doing so, you'll get to know more about yourself and - ironically - stop for long enough to enjoy the break.

It would be great as a learning tool for a therapist in-training, given how thorough it is.

Highly recommended.

Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this stuff!, 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My golly, the tube is goooood. Okay, sure - lip-balm is lip-balm. Or so I thought until I tried Carmex. Both the tube and pot are excellent, but the tube tops it, for the ability to really get a good gloss on.

Ultimately, though, the proof is in the product - and Carmex, unlike a great many balms, doesn't dry your lips out. The hint of fennel has a menthol effect. And once applied, lasts an age.

Price-wise, I'd say these are really competitive. But, for me, the tube wins.

HP Standard Sleeve for 15.6 inch - White
HP Standard Sleeve for 15.6 inch - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sleeve I've had..., 30 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first couple of carriers I had for my laptop were - in order -- a veritable briefcase, with a strap worthy of a bazooka; and then, a wetsuit-type sleeve so lightweight that had I dropped my computer, it would have done nothing to save the day.

This HP sleeve, however, is brilliantly placed between the two. From the outside, it's slick, with a leather-like appearance. And from within, there's fir lining, which gives it some padding. I'm not sure whether the white will stay, well, white for too long. But otherwise, it's a great sleeve. The side-pocket is plenty roomy, and not so tight on the sleeve, making storage of pens, etc, comfortable.

Excellent

Rexel A4 Budget 2 Ring Binder - Assorted Colour (Pack of 10)
Rexel A4 Budget 2 Ring Binder - Assorted Colour (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value folders..., 30 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thought these were excellent value. To get 10 at this price is fantastic, and a huge encouragement to get my filing in order.

Buying files can be off-putting - the thought of having to go out and spend a fortune on more than one ring binder, is enough to make anyone stuff everything into a single purchase. But at this price for 10, well, hello, organisation.

Okay, they're not super-sturdy, as if they're made out of MDF (they're plastic; flexible), but they're perfect for projects. And getting 10 - two in each colour: green, black, red, blue and yellow -- is great value.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20