Profile for Big Knickers > Reviews

Content by Big Knickers

Big Knickers "Emmy Loo" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Tomy Thomas & Friends Post Office Loader
Tomy Thomas & Friends Post Office Loader

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Entertainment!, 7 Dec. 2006
We love this toy. My husband enjoys putting it together and then, with the children (4 and 2), I sit in fascination watching it going round and round. Four little trains all doing their own job, a great example of team work. No it's not very hands on for the little ones (although there is a function where you can get the trains to repeat their job if it misses something) but it's great to see such young children being 'bunny in head lights' watching clever engineering. My husband recalls having the same thing when he was a child, although it was called 'Big Loader'. Definitely entertainment for all children of all ages. (I'm about to order one to be sent direct for my nephew's 3rd birthday)

VTech Discovery Tree
VTech Discovery Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun For A Growing Family, 1 Dec. 2006
This review is from: VTech Discovery Tree (Toy)
The tree is a nice size and quite sturdy, for the 3 years we've had it, it has been pulled and pushed over and still plays really well with barely a scratch. As they fall through the tree each coloured ball produces a different playing affect in the tree (different phrases, tunes, numbers or letters).

There's so much happening as the balls pass through.

We bought this for our 1 yr old son after visiting a friends house where he didn't want to leave it. That was 3 years ago, he still plays with it along with his 2 yr old sister and I have no doubt they will be playing with it when their 3 month old brother is old enough!!!

Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
by Rose Carrarini

5.0 out of 5 stars Very British Recipes With A Little Ooh La La, 28 Nov. 2006
I bought this book on a whim, knowing nothing about the restaurant but I wanted a recipe book of baking that was a little different. Moving a restaurant from London to Paris I guessed the recipes had to be pretty good and I wasn't disappointed.

The book takes you through a typical day in the restaurant beginning, of course, with Breakfast. These recipes include Fruit, Juices & Smoothies, Cereals, Eggs, Pancakes and Scones (6 different scone recipes).

For Lunch there are Soups, Salads, Pastry (inc 5 tart recipes), Risottos and Main Courses (as if the other lunch dishes aren't enough).

Then for Tea there are Tarts, Cakes, Biscuits & Cookies, Tray Bakes and Pudding. 54 Tea recipes in all.

The photographs of their 'local' suppliers, customers, staff and interiors of the restaurant are charming and very avocative but I'm just disappointed there aren't enough pictures of the actual food.

Too many recipes to recommend but needless to say I can't wait to try them as they certainly have a little chi chi about them

How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
How To Be A Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking
by Nigella Lawson

5.0 out of 5 stars Baking Has Never Been So Easy, 5 Nov. 2006
I love Nigella's style, because like me she's so slap dash in the kichen (no offence Nigella) and so honest "If it cracks wodge it back together" I think is one quote she uses, but the outcome is always delicious. I have owned the book since 2001, my husband bought it for me as I thought I couldn't bake even though I love cooking. This book has given me so much confidence in that area that it's the most worn book in my kitchen. My favourite recipe is the banana bread, which is ideal for using up over ripe bananas. I've taken to making it with 50% extra ingredience to make a good sized banana cake (a small loaf tin simply isn't enough). I have tried most of the recipes now and take them to my weekly mother and baby coffee mornings, usely coming home with an empty tin. The best praise you could ask for, hungry children and tired mothers can be the harshest critics! As the synopsis suggests being a Domestic Goddess is about "Ain't No Lovin' Like Something From The Oven" rather than being a self satisfied know it/do it all.

A Squash and A Squeeze
A Squash and A Squeeze
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love The Graffalo this book will not disappoint!, 4 Nov. 2006
This review is from: A Squash and A Squeeze (Paperback)
We bought this book because we love the rhyming prose and 'twist at the end of the tale' of The Gruffalo. It fulilled all our expectations and our 3yr old son and 1yr old daughter are delighted by it, as they are by the Gruffalo. Our son especially enjoys helping out saying the "My house is a squash and a squeeze" at the end of each 'verse'. I'm looking forward to our 2mth old son being old enough to appreciate it too!

Pastry Cook: The Complete Guide to the Art of Successful Pastry Making with Step-by-step Techniques and Over 135 Sweet and Savoury Recipes
by Catherine Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Facts, Practical Advice, and Recipes, 26 Oct. 2006
I wanted a book that gave me plenty of practical advice on 'how to' with pastry and what to do with it. The book begins with the history of pastry, leading on to how to make it with recipes for pastry that I never knew existed (I counted about 24). There are then 10 sections of recipes including small savoury pastries, sweet shortcrust & choux patries and classic decorated pies; so plenty of opportunity to try out what you've learnt. Each recipe not only has an illustration of the final dish but also some of the steps involved. I love baking and wanted something to stretch me further than Nigella and Mary Berry but didn't want to spend big bucks on a 'professional' book and fall at the first hurdle. For the money, this book will be invaluable in my kitchen for years to come.

British Regional Food: A cook's tour of the best produce in Britain and Ireland with traditional and original recipes: In Search of the Best British Food Today
by Mark Hix

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Waxing Lyrical But Not Enough Recipes, 26 Oct. 2006
This book has loads of really great information, if you are interested in the heritage of British Food, which I guess is the fashion right now what with farmer's markets and the like. But if you want a recipe book of good hearty British food (like me)you may be disappointed as there are only a couple of recipes for each region as the rest is text about the food. There's plenty of talk about local produce but not enough recipes to show what to do with it. Some of the recipes are classics like pork pies or bakewell tart, but others are just too 'down to earth' for my own taste like jugged hare, whole roast suckling pig or tripe. Don't get me wrong this is a great book, just not the recipe book I had hoped for.

Finger Food For Babies And Toddlers: Delicious nutritious food for little hands to hold
by Jennie Maizels

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to any parent with a 'fussy eater'., 2 Sept. 2004
My 20 month old son is very choosy about what he eats, but loves savoury and sweet biscuits and snacks (much to my horror). As well as the huge selection of recipes in this book, there are also recipes for biscuits, snacks and treats so at least I know he's not eating processed junk. Each recipe gives details of the 'nutritional value' in plain English. I'm writing this review today as I'm in Amazon to order a copy for a girlfriend having similar eating problems with her 13 month old girl.

VTech Sort and Soar Rocket
VTech Sort and Soar Rocket
Offered by Barikat

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 27 Oct. 2003
My 1yr old niece loves this rocket. Lots of colours, sounds, movement and lights. What's not to like as a 'little one'?

Sticklebricks Infant Builder Bag
Sticklebricks Infant Builder Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Sept. 2003
We were delighted with these sticklebricks. We bought them for our 8 month old son. They're lovely bright colours, nice big and chunky for him to handle, chew and study. The slightly smaller sticklebricks have been kept aside for when he's a little older. As well as being fun shapes individually, when we build them into some bizarre object he studies it for hours and then has great fun pulling them apart. They'll last as a toy for him for years, as he gets older he'll learn the colours and build things himself. A good old fashioned toy but still great fun!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3