Profile for Kgbowen > Reviews

Kgbowen (Oxfordshire, UK)

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stories of neurosurgery, 23 Jun. 2014
I didn't know what to expect with this book but I found, to my pleasure, a humane voice, drama and emotion in the raw and a sense of decency and humility. The stories are accessible and remarkable, and bring the hidden world of neuro-surgery into the open. Read it. You won't regret it.

A Slender Thread: Escaping Disaster in the Himalaya
A Slender Thread: Escaping Disaster in the Himalaya
by Stephen Venables

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooks you in, 22 Oct. 2013
I bought this book as a present for my son and just glanced at the first few pages. 24 hours later I had completed it, sucked in by Venables' engaging writing style and his honest account of a thrilling escape from the high mountains, made possible by a generous and very skilled team.

Sean Yates: It's All About the Bike: My Autobiography
Sean Yates: It's All About the Bike: My Autobiography
by Sean Yates

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for real cycling fans, 22 Oct. 2013
Enjoyed this trip through Yate's cycling history. The book brings out the way Yates' personality is reflected in the way he performs on the bike - tough, dogged and driven - a competition against himself as much as it was against fellow cyclists. There is nothing particularly revealing or dramatic about the book, yet it doesn't suffer for this. You are left feeling a twinge of sadness at the way his career ended, yet pleased that cycling has given him a life full of interest and achievement.

NLP Metaphorically
NLP Metaphorically
by Chris Rasey

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning without being taught, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: NLP Metaphorically (Paperback)
I knew nothing about NLP before picking up this book, yet here was a delightful, toe-dipping journey into NLP without having to take the orthodox A to B route. I enjoyed the pot pourri of styles and techniques. I appreciated the gentle humour, the charm of the language and the illuminating tales. And I can imagine that for those who use NLP techniques in their coaching or who are simply interested in its relevance and application to their own lives, here is a fund of accessible, informative and enjoyable material that will meet most needs.

Must You Go?: My Life with Harold Pinter
Must You Go?: My Life with Harold Pinter
by Lady Antonia Fraser

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing glimpse of another way of life, 19 Feb. 2010
I enjoyed this glimpse of Harold Pinter and Antonia Fraser's life together. It was at heart, a simple love story, told graciously and openly, yet discreetly and with dignity. While their story was intriguing in itself, as interesting was the life they led, the friends they had and the views they held. What was missing for me, was a little more about the impact of their love story on the people around them. How did Antonia's children take the breakup of her first marriage? What about the practicalities of access to the children after the break-up? Yet, the book doesn't claim to be an autobiography, so I guess there was a logic to these omissions. But, yes, I'm glad I read it and I enjoyed it.