Profile for Mathew Tinkler > Reviews

AS-Level Maths Complete Revision & Practice
AS-Level Maths Complete Revision & Practice
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 3 Jan. 2016
I'm using this with other books to refresh and relearn the mathematics of my youth (and a bit more besides, I never did A level maths). I think this book is nicely paced and has the things I want. It is a bit childish in some places and I'd imagine that, that is patronising to the age group it targets, but that's not my problem really.
It's much better priced than Waterstones and WHSmiths, so if you are looking around, buying it used here is the best option.

Algebra: A Complete Introduction: Teach Yourself
Algebra: A Complete Introduction: Teach Yourself
by Hugh Neill

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing and relearning algebra, 3 Jan. 2016
I bought this version of the book and also this version Teach Yourself Algebra New Edition (TYM) because they were both recommended and I was't sure of the difference (and as I got them used and cheap I didn't cry over buying both). To save time, rather than reviewing both I'll just say here that both are good. I'm refreshing my learning as I am currently converting to a Finance degree equivalent, and this is helping me recall and relearn the basics of algebra.
The only issue I have, as others have pointed out, is that the answers at the end are just the final value with no solution. So often you'll get questions that the examples are different to, you'll get it wrong, and upon checking the back of the book won't see where you went wrong. It's a slight issue for which I've deducted a star, but overall this is a really nice book.

Femfresh Intimate Hygiene Daily Intimate Wash, 250ml
Femfresh Intimate Hygiene Daily Intimate Wash, 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 3 Jan. 2016
Keeps your junk clean.

WOW Toys Stanley Street Sweeper
WOW Toys Stanley Street Sweeper

5.0 out of 5 stars Little boy loves it, 3 Jan. 2016
My little one loves it, and the dustbin lorry also made by WOW Toys. The plastics that it is made from are nice and solid, and it seems really well made. Glad I stumbled upon this line of toys.

Elementary Korean (Tuttle Language Library)
Elementary Korean (Tuttle Language Library)
by Ross King

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book., 3 Jan. 2016
I like this book. I bought it some time ago when the price was rather steep, but I don't regret it. I've heard it called Spartan and a bit dry in it's delivery but I find that, that is okay for my style of learning. Look at the Integrated Korean Books for a nice alternative.

Schaum's Outline of Chinese Grammar (Schaum's Outline Series)
Schaum's Outline of Chinese Grammar (Schaum's Outline Series)
by Claudia Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Schaum's guide., 3 Jan. 2016
I love Schaum's books generally speaking. This and the vocabulary book (which I also gave 5 stars) are really good for filling your basic vocabulary up with words and sentence structures. Of course, it's no alternative to a good teacher/friend/partner but it really helps.

Remington MB320C Barba Beard Trimmer
Remington MB320C Barba Beard Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel in love with it., 3 Jan. 2016
I am so glad that I did my research and bought this one!

I used to have a no frills beard trimmer my wife bought from Aldi or Lidl when it was on offer there. It did the job, but it would tug on my facial hair something fierce if I wasn't just going downwards. After that one broke recently I started doing research on peoples’ recommended beard trimmers - I cross referenced multiple websites' reviews and Youtube reviews to make sure I bought one that was reasonably priced and did a good job. In the end I had a choice between this one, this one Philips BT5262/13 Beard Trimmer Series 5000, this one BaByliss for Men Super Stubble, this one Philips Series 9000 Laser Guided Beard Trimmer BT9280/33 for Precise Symmetrical Beards, and this one Braun cruZer 6 Beard and Head 3-in-1 Trimmer and Clipper. In the end I opted for this one because it was consistently in all of the lists that I had researched and it's one of the best priced trimmers on Amazon. It's also (correct 03/01/16) the most highly reviewed and bestselling trimmer on Amazon.

Upon using it I can confirm that is rather good: it doesn't tug on longer hairs, it feels sturdy in hand and the shape is ergonomically nice, and it doesn't throw hair absolutely everywhere (when going downwards). As with every form of shaving, you'll need to do multiple passes in multiple directions. This sounds obvious but some reviewers have complained that it doesn't do it all in one pass. When you're going against the grain (upwards) it will throw hair around, just make sure you have a hoover nearby to clean up your mess.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! It is not waterproof so you need to use the brush that comes with it to keep it clean and clear of hair (which gets all inside it and everywhere on it - be fastidious). It also recommends that you don't leave it in direct sunlight or store it near a heat source as it will warp and break the comb (as another reviewer found out).

All in all, I love it and assuming it gives me a decent length of service, I can't see myself buying another any time soon.

De'Longhi Icona ECO310.R Pump Espresso Machine, Scarlet Red
De'Longhi Icona ECO310.R Pump Espresso Machine, Scarlet Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, 18 Dec. 2012
I need to start this review by saying that this is my first espresso machine and so my knowledge is limited.

Within a week of ordering this it was unceremoniously dumped in front of my door. Upon opening it the first thing I noticed was just how much plastic there was to this machine - it's predominantly plastic with just a few bits of stainless steel for good measure. The build quality of this machine is not great therefore, but for £119 you shouldn't expect too much. After setting it up you have to go through the espresso making process 5 times for some reason and then you are ready to go.

I have at this point only had the machine for two weeks and aside from the build quality and the machine being a bit loud when you make a drink, I don't have any complaints. At the moment I have only used Taylor's coffee with it (I'll get Monmouth coffee when I finish off this bag), and I am happy with the drinks I have made. I would recommend that with this machine you also buy 0.33L 330ml Stainless Steel Coffee Frothing Milk Jug Latte by Andrew James and Andrew James Milk Frothing Thermometer, High Quality Grade 304 Stainless Steel if you intend to make cappuccinos and lattes.

All in all; so far it's been cheap and cheerful. I'll probably update this review in 6 months as that's when all the other reviews say it goes down hill.

Official HTC Sensation Battery 1520mAh BA S560 [Wireless Phone Accessory]
Official HTC Sensation Battery 1520mAh BA S560 [Wireless Phone Accessory]
Offered by Glitzy Gizmos

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Sensation Battery, 18 Dec. 2012
I ordered this battery as a replacement for my wife's phone as that was not holding its charge. I ordered this on a Sunday afternoon and it arrived (with standard delivery!) on Tuesday morning. At first you need to give it a long charger (as is standard with batteries I believe) and after that it works perfectly. No complaints with the battery or the delivery at all. Recommended.

Andrew James High Quality Grade 202 Stainless Steel Jug 600ml
Andrew James High Quality Grade 202 Stainless Steel Jug 600ml
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 18 Dec. 2012
I recently bought my first espresso maker and so needed a nice milk jug for frothing milk for lattes and cappuccinos. I ordered the jug on a Sunday and it arrived on Tuesday (with standard delivery!) which was great. My wife opened the package and was so impressed with how nice and shiny it was that she sent me a picture.

There's not a great deal I can say about a milk jug, it does exactly what you would expect a jug to do, it looks good and is well made. I would recommended this to anyone and will definitely will buy things from Andrew James again.

Page: 1 | 2