Profile for Mr. C. F. Kay > Reviews

Content by Mr. C. F. Kay

Mr. C. F. Kay "Barrel-rider" (cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Collection 5 (Gladiator Boy)
Collection 5 (Gladiator Boy)
by David Grimstone

5.0 out of 5 stars The first two books are just as good as the rest but the last book is a ..., 14 Dec. 2014
The first two books are just as good as the rest but the last book is a bit suprising and well slightly disaointing

Collection 4 (Gladiator Boy)
Collection 4 (Gladiator Boy)
by David Grimstone

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 14 Dec. 2014
probably the best in the series. One of the best bits in the collection is the battle. Akina is able to slaughter 2 of the ninjas by herself and the it took three boys to take one down. It is just as good maybe better than the rest and just as violent.

Games Workshop: The Hobbit Bolg
Games Workshop: The Hobbit Bolg
Offered by BuySend

1.0 out of 5 stars ridiculous price, fiddly to put together and paint, very brittle., 10 Dec. 2014
Ridiculous price for one figure but my son wanted it.

These finecast figures from games workshop are very fiddly to assemble and paint. To be honest there is far to much detail to paint and a lot of it is so small that it is indistinct. Unless you are a really good painter you are likely to end up getting very frustrated.

The figures are very brittle and I broke some bits of the club just cutting it off the sprue, and again it was so fiddly I was not able to glue them back on.

I have bought a few other figures from the range and have had the same problem with all of them, including bits breaking off.

I have contacted GW on many occasions concerning these problems, but they don't want to know.
It is a shame that they have exclusive rights to making the figures, I want the figures but not THESE figures. Catch 22 ?

As Told in the Great Hall: The Wargamer's Guide to Dark Age Britain
As Told in the Great Hall: The Wargamer's Guide to Dark Age Britain
by Martin Hackett

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the period, rules not good., 10 Dec. 2014
A good introduction to the period. I had some knowledge of the period and most of it seemed familiar, although I had not heard of the idea that the picts originated from the sycthians.

What I liked about the book was the way the author concentrated on the battles and tried to explain the reasons and tactics used in the battles. The maps for the battles are pretty roughly drawn but adequate.
I will use the book as an easy reminder when I want to set up a game from the period.

The rules are a let down, as a long time wargamer I found them out of date. The author makes reference to WRG 6th edition and I had to check to see if the book was published 20 years ago.
I only read the rules and did not play them, but they did look like hard work, an army consists of 150 figures grouped into units with a few special figures. There does seem like a lot of paper work building the army and recording during the game. Archers get 12 arrows so you have to write down how many times they fire.

I would recommend the osprey rules Dux Bellorum for this period.

How to Betray a Dragon's Hero: Book 11 (How To Train Your Dragon)
How to Betray a Dragon's Hero: Book 11 (How To Train Your Dragon)
by Cressida Cowell

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 Dec. 2014
good, very funny but spoilt by the end

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD] [2014]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

1.0 out of 5 stars Science fiction dumbed down for the masses., 17 Nov. 2014
Doctor who used to be a science fiction adventure series, I do not know what it is anymore, a "rom/com" with an alien thrown in ?

Each week I have been bored by the endless bickering between the Doctor and Clara (or Perky as I call her) and Pinky and Perky's awkward romance, it feels more like Bridget Jones than Doctor who.

The story where the Doctor becomes Caretaker had no science fiction at all, you can not count the reject from "Robot Wars" .

Some of the stories were quite good, but they were all spoiled by weak endings and the eternal bickering. The 2D aliens were good but the ending was so bad, The doctor zaps his screwdriver and solves the problem and the Doctor and pinky argue again.

Listen was also good but had a weak ending that left me wondering what the whole point of the story was.

The trip to the moon started quite well then fell apart when the moon became an egg, and then hatched and laid an identical egg.

The mummy on the orient express and the bank job were the best constructed stories, but still too much silly bickering.

The robin hood story was very silly, sword fighting with spoons. If you find that funny you really have no sense no humour. Rik Mayell did the whole "flashheart" robin hood character on Black adder

The best characters were Missy and disruptive influence, which brings me to the last story.

The first part was really good, then it absolutely fell apart. Typical of recent seasons the aliens stood around and did nothing, really nothing. The idea that it would be possible to recreate cybermen from dead bodies in graves was silly.

The possible afterlife is not something that should not be taken to lightly, and I think it was handled badly. I never thought that the nethersphere was "where we go when we die" when I was watching and was waiting for an explanation at the end of the story, but it never came.
Perhaps I missed it ? but then a lot of casual watchers would have missed it to. So now according to Doctor who mythology when we die we go to a spaceship ?

Is the "Brig" a cyberman now ?

When we last met the Master David Tennant was desperate to keep him alive, Peter Capaldi did not seem to care less.

Recent series have had a theme running through them, I thought that this theme was Pinky and Perky love story, but apparently it was "am I a good man?" Rather a pointless theme.

Well you can tell I am pretty fed up with this last series, I have every Doctor who story on DVD (and VHS) and this is the first time I have not bought the box set.

Is Peter a good Doctor, I do not really know, He reminds me of William Hartnell. I hope he gets a fair shot at it, but that seems unlikely under the current management.

Is Moffet the right man for the job ? He actually wrote some brilliant stories for T Davies, but now he seems to have lost it.
My son tells me he is writing for the general public and not Who fans, but if he does not want to right Science fiction then go off and right something else. I would rather have nothing than this.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2015 10:37 AM GMT

Hordes Of The Things Version 2.1
Hordes Of The Things Version 2.1
by Phil Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of rules, easy to pick up and play, and great fun., 13 Jun. 2014
These rules are based on the very popular ancients rules DBA. If you have not tried DBA stop reading this a go and buy a set.
Hordes has a simple system of single or groups of figures on rectangular bases, you need about 12 to 18 bases for an army.
Each base has to classified under a selection of about 20 different troop types, ranging from spears or shooters to heroes or dragons.
If your base is classified as a behemoth ( giant creature) then it can be a giant, a troll, a dwarf tank, an iron hamster wheel powered by a giant hamster, anything you want it still counts as a behemoth. There are no additional factors for any bows or extra armour.
Each troop type has 3 factors, a speed and two fighting scores (one for infantry and another or cavalry ) and you add a 6 sided dice to the fighting score.
So it is pretty straight forward to learn and you are unlikely to come across any rule lawyers with this set.
The games are great fun, heroes speed around killing everything until they run into another hero or a magician. Dragons burst onto the battle then slink off, and those hordes keep coming back.
The only issue I have with the rule writers is the introduction, I would agree that you can research a fantasy army from literature or myths, but it is also great fun to make up an army out of any odd figures you have left over. I am a great fan of buying second hand unwanted figures and putting a force together with them, I feel it is fulfilling their wargames destiny.

The Faith & Patience
The Faith & Patience

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, and a great live band., 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Faith & Patience (Audio CD)
Saw them in Cornwall as a support act and was really blown away by them.
Great energy, great stage presence, great singer, great players, and great songs.
Bought the EP after the gig and played it over and over again, now I have got the album and have got it blasting out (but not annoying the neighbours).
I could listen to the singer all day long, and all the songs are......, well great.
I would not like to say who they sound like as it might put you off, but I get the whiff of Big country (that must age me).
Just listen and buy it.

Doctor Who : Complete BBC Series 4 [2008] [DVD]
Doctor Who : Complete BBC Series 4 [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by Atronica

5.0 out of 5 stars best tennant series, 1 Feb. 2014
marks out of ten for episodes

1.voyage of damned 6/1o
the hoasts not too scairy and vllans only in it for 5 scecs

2.partnes in crime 7/10
the adiposese are cute and miss foster has a sonic pen

3.fires of pompei 5/10
the pirovilles only kill one person and are beaten up easily

4.planet of ood 7/10
the brain is silly but the ood are suprisingly scairy

5.sontaron strategem/poison sky 6/10
the sontarons could just shoot unit to peices and tennant kindly stops sonta ha from winding us up

6.doctors daughter 4/10
jenny is ok but the hath arent. martha should have been written out

7.the unicorn and wasp 8/10
set out like a murder mystery.brilliant

8.silence in libary/forest of dead 8/10
vashta nerda is scary "hey who turned out the lights"is suprisingly funny

9.midnight 9/10
pretty good but no monster

10.turn left 7//1o
donnas amazing but the time beatles trash

11.stolen earth/jouneys end 5/10
meant to be a finarlly but not the double doctor and german daleks are too mad.at least davros is in it

Doctor Who - The Curse of Fenric [1989] [DVD] [1963]
Doctor Who - The Curse of Fenric [1989] [DVD] [1963]
Dvd ~ Sylvester McCoy

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 22 Jan. 2014
one of the best sylvester mcoy episodes.The hamevors are bassicly blue,mutated vampires.The evacuated girls are very creepy,the anctent one carrys a gas gun and fenrics only in one seen and thwarted easily.but it is very good.I highly recomend it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4