Profile for R. Peacock > Reviews

Content by R. Peacock

R. Peacock "Bex" (Beaumaris, Anglesey)

Quilt Improv: Incredible quilts from everyday inspirations
Quilt Improv: Incredible quilts from everyday inspirations
by Lucie Summers
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous intro into the world of Quilting, 3 Sep 2013
I bought this book after inheriting a bag of old clothes and no idea what to do with them. Now my room is filled with neatly cut out rectangles of different fabrics in plastic boxes and my winter quilt is well on the way! The illustrations and photos are really lovely, and the step by step instructions are really easy to follow. I've not quite mastered anything beyond rectangular quilting but hopefully I'll get there. A really nice gift book for crafty folk looking for a new project.

The Apothecary
The Apothecary
by Maile Meloy
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, intelligent and lots of fun, 21 July 2013
This review is from: The Apothecary (Paperback)
A fantastic read, set in the early 50s with the Cold War creeping on apace. Janie is a 14 year old American girl who is forced to move to London because of her parent's supposed 'Communist' leanings. There she meets the unusual Benjamin Burrows and his father, the Apothecary, and mystery, potions, transmogrification and political intrigue ensues, not to mention attempting to save the world from Nuclear fallout. It's beautifully written, cleverly thought through, with the 'magic' well explained and as believable as possible throughout. This is also a lovely gift, as the paperback edition is packed with gorgeous full-page illustrations by Ian Schoenherr. Definitely one for magic or sci-fi fans, young or old.

How to Get to the North Pole: . . . and Other Iconic Adventures
How to Get to the North Pole: . . . and Other Iconic Adventures
by Ranulph Fiennes
Price: 8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start an adventure, 13 Aug 2012
I bought this book for my brother who has always fancied himself as a bit of a Sir Ranulph Fiennes, but didn't know where to start. This book seemed like a great present idea, and I was really impressed by how thorough it was. There were ideas for all types of expedition, from the North pole to mountains to the best way to cross a desert. Whether he actually goes on his trip is doubtful, but the book has certainly given him food for thought and I'd recommend it to anyone who was similarly eager to get off the grid and have an adventure!

Good Home Cooking: Make it, Don't Buy It! Real Food at Home - Mostly at Less Than a Pound a Head
by Diana Peacock

5.0 out of 5 stars I can personally vouch for the quality of this book, 13 Sep 2009
This book was written by my mother. And yes, it's obvious I'm going to give it five stars, because it's Mum and I want it to do well. Of course. But you need to know more than that. I have been eating my mother's food for twenty six and a bit years, twenty six years of chocolate cakes and apple pies and freshly baked bread, and bubbling hot steak and kidney pies with buttered mash, and wonderfully light & healthy pasta, and sherry trifles at Christmas and treacle toffee on Bonfire night, and...I could go on. It has been such a priviledge to eat this food because it is real and beautifully crafted and simple to make (trust me - I do it myself now) and I cannot but clean my plate every time. As a result, I am what Alexander McCall Smith termed 'traditionally built', but you know what... when the grub's this good, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mum, you're fab, and so's this book. So what are you waiting for?

By the way, page 237 is my favourite!