Profile for Mara Kurtz > Reviews

Content by Mara Kurtz

Mara Kurtz "MK" (New York, NY USA)

Scorper: A Novel
Scorper: A Novel
by Rob Magnuson Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, 21 April 2015
This review is from: Scorper: A Novel (Hardcover)
As a graphic designer involved with typography, and especially the typeface Gill Sans, I couldn't wait to read this book.
But I was seriously disappointed. The story is a look at the world through the eyes of an American man with serious mental illness whose experience in a small English town was both absurd and boring. After suffering through the first half, I skipped to the end and was relieved to be finished.

What I Loved
What I Loved
by Siri Hustvedt

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Waste Your Time Or Money, 10 April 2014
This review is from: What I Loved (Paperback)
One of the worst books I've ever tried to read.
Never made it to the end because I didn't care about ANY of the characters.
Boring, wordy, filled with endless, meaningless details.
Do not bother!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2014 12:52 AM BST

Pack of 50 UNION JACK Flag Picks {Sandwich Flags}
Pack of 50 UNION JACK Flag Picks {Sandwich Flags}
Offered by Ed's Party Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Union Jacks, 4 Dec. 2013
These are the prettiest Union Jack toothpicks I've ever seen. Large, beautiful printing on stiff paper. Will definitely buy more in the future!

Letter From an Unknown Woman and Other Stories
Letter From an Unknown Woman and Other Stories
by Stefan Zweig

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Story, 14 Aug. 2013
Stefan Zweig is one of the best writers ever.
His work never disappoints. I love The Royal Game, Beware of Pity, and all the short stories.
Every sentence, every observation, every description is exceptional.
All of the stories are gripping, I always want to read them in one sitting.
Recommend highly.

Fair Stood the Wind for France (Penguin Modern Classics)
Fair Stood the Wind for France (Penguin Modern Classics)
by H E Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Memorable WW2 Love Story., 14 Aug. 2013
One of my favorite books. this Penguin edition was worth ordering from the Amazon UK site (I live in the US).
I've read and reread this book and recently recommended it to my book club. Everyone loved it.
A gripping, realistic, powerful story about a British pilot whose plane lands in a field Occupied France.
So many fascinating details and descriptions.

Brief Encounter [VHS] [1945]
Brief Encounter [VHS] [1945]
VHS
Offered by rdowns33

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Film Ever, 24 Sept. 2002
This absolutely delightful film seems to get better every time I see it.
The recent DVD version is especially enjoyable as you can see so many subtle details that were hidden in the shadows of video on a grainy tv monitor.
The acting is superb, the script tight and poignant with not a wasted moment. Every word and gesture have significance. The cinematography is spectacular with exquisite lighting throughout this black and white masterpiece. The very beautiful opening shot of the train tearing through Carnforth station, whistle shrieking, sets the tone perfectly.
Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard will break your heart, as will the soundtrack, with marvelous Eileen Joyce playing Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto.
This is the quintessential Brit film loved by all. David Lean and Noel Coward, a brilliant combination, working together brilliantly at the end of World War II.
"Brief Encounter" is an experience I to which I treat myself frequently. It is always a joy.