Profile for finsalscollons > Reviews

Content by finsalscollons

finsalscollons (Spain)

English Grammar In Use with Answers and CD ROM: A Self-study Reference and Practice Book for Intermediate Students of English
by Raymond Murphy

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous. It can make you waste years of your life., 3 Mar. 2007
I've been studying English for the most part of my life and I've always be frustrated with English grammar. I thought that English grammar had no clear-cut rules and, therefore, was difficult to explain and understand. I was wrong.

The problem wasn't English grammar. The problem is this book (that I've been using all my life). This book has confuse explanations and Raymond Murphy knows English but he doesn't know which are the rules and how to explain them.

Of course, English grammar is hard (because there are so many rules) but it is easy to understand IF you read the RIGHT book. I recommend you Swan's Basic English Usage. If you want to know how to use English, please buy it. You won't be disappointed.

But don't buy "English Grammar in Use". I have wasted whole years of my life because of this book. If you don't want to do that, please skip this book. It deserves -10 stars.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2009 11:22 PM BST

Basic English Usage
Basic English Usage
by Michael Swan

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on English grammar and usage, 3 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Basic English Usage (Paperback)

Of course, English grammar is hard (because there are so many rules) but it is easy to understand IF you read this book. After finding this book, the others English grammar books (like English grammar in use) seem bad and you have the impression that their authors don't understand well English grammar.