Profile for Biblioholic > Reviews

Content by Biblioholic

Biblioholic "biblioholic" (Gloucestershire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
War on the Margins
War on the Margins
by Libby Cone
Price: 10.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiction vs thesis, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: War on the Margins (Hardcover)
I read this short novel/long novella at a single sitting. It concerns an intriguing corner of the Second World War that until recently was swept under the carpet of British history. I have an elderly friend who lived on Jersey at this time, and who will only say that it was too dreadful to describe.
This novel relies heavily on the author's research for her thesis, and the characters do develop as described by other reviewers, but I felt the empathy one could feel from a novelist's insight into the situation was over-shadowed by a desire to inform, hence the slabs of official documents reproduced. It was as if the author can't decide whether to write a history or fiction.
Overall I would recommend the book, but more as a description of the Nazi occupation of the Channel Isles than as a novel.

Home
Home
by Marilynne Robinson
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Home' is where the heart is, 14 Jun 2009
This review is from: Home (Paperback)
I finished reading 'Home' a few minutes ago, and it is truly a beautiful and moving novel about some of the fundamentals of every human life, home, family relationships and God. It is about how we define ourselves and relate to people we think we know well, or that we think we no longer know.

I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys novels of character rather than plot.

I read Gilead several years ago and although I enjoyed it at the time I now feel I need to re-read it in the light of 'Home'.

Surprised by Hope
Surprised by Hope
by Tom Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars New perspectives, 10 Jun 2009
This review is from: Surprised by Hope (Paperback)
This book brings into sharp focus the significance of the Resurrection of Christ for mankind, and is good reading for the Easter season (the importance of which is one reason Bishop Wright wrote the book). It re-examines our own attitude to death and life after death, then analyses the New Testament and the writings of the early Church fathers to compare with the 'popular' view in Christianity today.
The effect is like having a kaleidoscope turned before your eyes - the parts are familiar but with a slight shift in pattern or emphasis a whole new way of looking at the Resurrection event opens up.
I did not agree with the author on all points - he is very dismissive of Purgatory and the communion of saints - but on the whole it has given me a fresh perspective when I read or listen to the New Testament, and a more positive and hopeful attitude to the things of this life.

The Shack
The Shack
by Wm Paul Young
Price: 7.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Cod theology for Americans, 18 May 2009
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
This book was chosen for a reading group I belong to, and I was looking forward to reading it as I had heard something about it last year. At first it interested me: the back story of the little girl's abduction was well narrated.
However as soon as the protagonist reached the shack the whole thing dissolved into a maudlin allegory interspersed with dollops of indigestible theology.
It's a truism (and hopefully true) that God meets us in the darkest places of our lives, but the image of the shack is just plain clumsy. Being British, I found the folksiness hard to stomach; for instance calling God Papa, and then it emerging that God is perceived as a Black mama.
It just did not convince on any level.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2009 10:43 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3