Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

What the Buddha Taught
What the Buddha Taught
by Walpola Rahula

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and profound, 24 Mar. 2013
This review is from: What the Buddha Taught (Paperback)
I have been interested in Buddhism for most of my life. Although I have always been familiar with the ideas behind Buddhism I have not attempted any serious study of Buddha's teachings. I bought this book believing it to be a simple introduction to this subject.

The book is a commendably clear and uncomplicated explanation of Buddha teachings. Buddhism is presented as offering a singular perspective on how we see ourselves and how we relate to the world around us.

Two ideas in the book have been life changing for me:

1. The concept that attachment leads to suffering. That non-attachment is the way to end suffering.

In other texts Buddha's teaching is presented as saying desire leads to suffering. The concept of leading a life without desire is difficult for me because my motivation in life is to follow my passions.

On the other had the concept of leading a life without attachment is much more useful to me. After pondering this it became clear that I had suffered in my life due to seeking attachment. On becoming aware of this I felt my need for attachment falling away. I became at peace with my life for the first time.

2. The concept of learning to observe my emotions with detachment.

I am aware that my emotional response to situations are predetermined through past experience and genetic programing. Acting according to raw emotion is rarely the best course of action in the long term. As I learn to observe my emotions with detachment I am no longer a slave to them.
_

Despite my admiration for Buddha and his remarkable wisdom and insight I would not call myself a Buddhist. There are aspects of Buddha's teachings which I feel are inapplicable to the world I find myself in. Nevertheless I am eternally grateful to him and the author of this remarkable book for sharing this knowledge with the world.

Sony Xperia Go Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black
Sony Xperia Go Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and stylish, 7 Sept. 2012
The xperia go is sleek and slim with a beautifully pared down minimalist vibe. I think it's best looking phone I've seen. The graphic interface is similarly beautifully pared down and super stylish. Sony has a good eye for simple and clean design and it really comes across in this phone.

It's great as a music player. I was able to easily load albums from itunes on my mac by connecting the phone via usb and dragging from itunes and dropping into the sounds folder on the phone. I listen on good quality sennheiser earbuds and the sound quality is on a par with my ipod nano.

The camera is decent, photos have good detail and warm colors, I love that you can tap on the screen to select the area to focus.

The browser is speedy and the text flows to fit the size of your screen as you zoom in and out. The screen resolution may not be as good as the iphone 4 but I found it more than good enough for browsing webpages and reading blogs. I'm not planning on watching Kurosawa movies on it.

I have not tested the water resistance of my phone but it will definitely come in handy for walking through rainstorms and camping by the beach.

I have been able to go 24 hours on 50% battery. I turn off GPS, bluetooth, wifi, backlight and turn the screen brightness to minimum. Minimum brightness is still perfectly readable unless you are in bright sunlight.

There are phones out there with better specs, but the xperia go is more than good enough for my needs, plus it is light in the pocket, waterproof and looks cool as hell.

G-Shock G-Lide Series Digital Watch With Moon Data & Tide Graph
G-Shock G-Lide Series Digital Watch With Moon Data & Tide Graph

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning watch, 7 Dec. 2011
So I was looking for new G-Shock having used a G-8000 for 6 years. I don't like having different watches for different occasions. I want one watch that will do the job whether I am in a business meeting in a suit or paddling out to sea in 6 foot waves. I like simple minimalist designs. My preference is for a digital watch with a rectangular black casing and monochrome inscriptions. I decided against negative displays as they are too difficult to read in low light.

I liked the classic DW5600E-1V and the newer GWM5600-1 but I was put off by the coloured inscriptions. Extensive browsing of the internet led me a choice of just two models that fit my criteria: the G-7800-1ER or the GLX5600-1. I wish G-Shock would do more models with minimalist styling but without a negative display.

Well I went with the GLX5600-1.

I must say I love it. It looks so much better that in the photos. The gloss finish is so shiny, the watch looks stunning. It's smaller and lighter than my old G8000, but that's probably a good thing for swimming and surfing. The tide and moon chart is great. All you need to do is to enter your longitude and the 'lunitidal interval' [use google to find the interval for your location] and you're good to go.

I have no doubt that the GLX5600-1 will be on my wrist 24/7 for the next few years. Like my old G-8000 it's so comfortable I never take it off. I can't wait to go surfing with it.

Watch was delivered in 2 days. Excellent service.

The Secret of Perfect Vision: How You Can Prevent and Reverse Nearsightedness
The Secret of Perfect Vision: How You Can Prevent and Reverse Nearsightedness
by David De Angelis

5.0 out of 5 stars It works but needs persistence, 12 Jun. 2011
I came across this book from a recommendation in a forum. I have been short sighted since I was in my teens and I have worn glasses or contacts most of my adult life. I was a bit skeptical but I thought I would by the book and give it a try.

The author goes into some depth about the anatomy of the eye and the theory behind his method. His method comes down to a series exercises that can be done in a few minutes combined with training your eyes to focus over longer distances while reading. He recommends using long sighted glasses to train the eyes.

Six months ago I stopped using my glasses and started following the methods daily. When I started I could just make out words on the computer screen with my left eye from say 18 inches away. I needed about 9 inches distance to read with my right eye. Today I can read words on the screen from over 3 feet away with my left eye and from about 1 1/2 feet away from my right eye. I do not yet have perfect vision but I continue to follow the method and continue to make small but gradual progress. I should say that I did not use the long sighted glasses as recommended but tried to train my eyes to read at the limit of their range.

As someone who lifts weights his methodology made intuitive sense to me and I felt from the outset that it could work. The muscles in the body can be trained to lift much more than a person's bodyweight. Why can't the muscles of the eye be similarly trained?

It seems amazing to me that this method works but the information is not out there. I guess it comes down to the fact that the method is so simple - the exercises and training can be grasped in a few minutes - that it is hard to make money out of it and thus no incentive to market it. I would recommend anyone reading this to buy the book. What have you got to lose? The alternatives in contact lenses or laser surgery carry small but significant risks of infection or permanent impairment as well as being much more expensive.

I am very grateful to the author for writing this book. My only regret is that I did not come across this information many years ago.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2011 12:46 PM BST

Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye: A Do-It-Yourself Mouth Care System for Healthy, Clean Gums and Teeth
by Ellie Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 28 Mar. 2011
In her excellent and readable book Dr Ellie sets out a dental health care routine using products readily available at chemists and healthfood stores. She sumarises current scientific knowledge on dental health and she bases her plan on her own experiences as a dentist for over 40 years and scientific research. In addition she advises on diet, foods that are bad for teeth and foods that protect teeth. Her methodology is backed by 28 pages of citations from research papers.

I do not believe there is another book available that can makes this information available to the lay person. The fact that other dentists and also the Surgeon General of the United States endorse this book should serve as a recommendation.

Dr Ellie makes it clear that dental decay is not inevitable, even in old age, and can be halted with the correct methods. I have started using Dr Ellie's routine and my teeth are already feeling cleaner and stronger. It is too early to tell for sure but I am confident that I have the knowledge to avoid any further cavities and to keep my teeth for the rest of my life.

There is a lot of confusion in the public mind over how to keep their teeth healthy. I am very grateful to Dr Ellie for making this information available to the public. I hope many people buy her book to raise public awareness of the issues she raises.

Varde
Varde
Offered by Disco100

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, mesmerizing work., 7 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Varde (Audio CD)
Awesome in its grandeur, mesmerizing in it's attention to detail. One of the most beautiful and moving albums I have heard in a long time.