Profile for L. White > Reviews

Content by L. White

L. White "would be chef" (Sheffield, England)

Easipet Puppy Cage for Dog, 91 x 60 x 66 cm, Black
Easipet Puppy Cage for Dog, 91 x 60 x 66 cm, Black
Offered by Far East Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - easy to erect and folds down in ..., 7 Oct. 2014
Excellent product - easy to erect and folds down in seconds. Plenty of room for my spaniel - who gets in it with no fuss - seems to like his den - and we do not argue about chewed up kitchens while I'm out anymore. \i am VERY pleased with it, and the service - it was delivered within 2 days.

Barbican's End: A Novel of Cornwall
Barbican's End: A Novel of Cornwall
by Denys Val Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great service, 1 Oct. 2012
I am collecting books by this author - which are mostly out of print now. So not only was it a very good secondhand copy - but I was thrilled to get a typed letter, signed by the author himself, tucked inside.

The Storm Lion of Penzance
The Storm Lion of Penzance
by Troon Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars penzance lover, 9 July 2012
As a regular visitor to the Penzance area, and knowing the very lions this book is supposedly about (and there are 2 of them - not one as the book describes) - I purchased for my little neice and nephew, who loved the "Mousehole Cat" book - which is very obviously the inspiration for this one.

Perhaps if I had not got the "Mousehole cat" to compare to - I would have liked this more. The story a bit thin, illustrations not great - nevertheless - OK - particularly for Cornwall lovers.

Kitchen Craft White Porcelain Double Egg Cup
Kitchen Craft White Porcelain Double Egg Cup
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

5.0 out of 5 stars double egg cup, 9 July 2012
Purchased as a gift for a friend who has been searching for one for ages.

Arrived promptly, well packed, very reasonable cost - friend delighted!

Laura's Star: The Movie [DVD] [2005]
Laura's Star: The Movie [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Piet De Rycker

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful DVD!, 11 April 2012
Purchased for my little neice - but greatly enjoyed by her auntie! Lovely story, music and charming, clever animation. A must for any child - I have since resolved to but it for 2 more little girls of my aquaintance.
Stunning, clever and charming!

Wycliffe - Series 1 [DVD] [1993]
Wycliffe - Series 1 [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Jack Shepherd

4.0 out of 5 stars Wycliffe, 11 April 2012
I love Cornwall, books, and crime dramas - so Wycliffe hits the spot. I had read a few books and seen some of the TV programmes. I particularly love the "wycliffe" theme tune - which did, I beleive, win an award.
The DVD was good - although of it's time in terms of sharpness of picture. This did not detract unduly from my enjoyment. The lead actors are all very good. I have since learned that Jack Shepherd (Wycliffe) refused to do any more because he supported Jimmy Yuill, who played his sidekick, as the production company would not insure and re - employ him following his collapse from meningitis on set - even though he made a full recovery. This put him well up in my estimation. A must for Wycliffe/Cornwall fans - and good value for money.

Blue Juice [DVD]
Blue Juice [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Pertwee

5.0 out of 5 stars life play list, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Blue Juice [DVD] (DVD)
I love this film and when I first saw it - fell in love with surfing and Sean Pertwee. It made me visit Mousehole - where it was filmed - but was disappointed only to find a car park where the Surf Shack was! Nevertheless - This film is what I put on when the longing gets too great for my beloved Cornwall. Peter Gunn is a treasure, too, and the scenery is great.I also think Catherine Z J is stunningly beautiful in this - before she got "Hollywoodised" and plastic.An unconciously funny moment is Steve Mackintosh "dad dancing" in the church hall! A classiic and a must for surf culture and Cornwall lovers.

Nella Last in the 1950s: Further diaries of Housewife, 49
Nella Last in the 1950s: Further diaries of Housewife, 49
by Patricia Malcolmson

5.0 out of 5 stars nella last in the 1950's, 3 Nov. 2011
I loved the first two of Nella's diaries - and this third one did not disappoint. What heights this woman could have reached if she had been released to fly! She was hampered by an unenlightened society, and held back by the demands of a neurotic self absorbed husband. She made the best of her lot, however, and found joy in small things and achevements. I wish I could have met her! I have a holiday home in Cumbria - not far from Barrow - and could not resist looking up the house. It was an eerie feeling - standing on the pavement she must have walked on a million times - and I longed to see if the laburnum tree and her lilac tree were still in the back garden!I visit Ulverston a lot, as I love it - and loved to hear how she shopped for material in the market - which knowing the little market hall well - I can visualise.Barrow should be proud of this daughter! Victoria Wood brought her character to life in the DVDso well. I could dip into all three books again and again - and hope for others.

James Martin - Desserts
James Martin - Desserts
by James Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Lesley, Sheffield, 19 April 2007
I bought this - based on the fact that I was given his "Winter" cookbook as a present - and from it made the best Christmas cake I have ever made! I am an avid "baker" and had tried many recipes - but will always use his from now on. This book did not disappoint - easy to follow, good hints and tips, and a variety of old and new recipes. I particularly like the fact that he wants to keep old recipes alive - and passes on his family recipes, and that he has no truck with tiny, "nouvelle cuisiney" portions which concentrate on looks rather than taste. Good, gutbusting stuff - not for the size zero brigade!

Easy British Food
Easy British Food
by James Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars James Martin's Easy British food, 6 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Easy British Food (Hardcover)
Bought as a first cookbook for a budding cook - we both found it a good book - both visually and informatively. It is unpretentious, and makes no apologies for shortcuts and use of brand foods.Also - nice photos of Whitby! A good no - nonsense book from a chef who appears to have his feet still on the ground, and who loves his craft.