Profile for Kiwi Cadre > Reviews

Content by Kiwi Cadre

Kiwi Cadre "kiwi_cadre" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
What Ho, Automaton! (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries Book 1)
What Ho, Automaton! (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Funny, 4 Mar 2014
Very like Wodehouse, "Jeeves and Wooster" etc. Dry humour as our hapless but well intentioned hero tries to deal with relationships in a genteel English society context, with steam powered robots included.

Will look for other work by Chris Dolley.

Neewer Tape to PC USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Capture Adapter Audio Music Player
Offered by Global_omouk

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play and works well, 4 Mar 2014
Cheap, easy to use, easy to set up, works well.

We had a largish tape collection (books, kids stories, etc.) and when our last tape player died I bought this to put the collection ont the computer.

It worked well (I used audacity for managing the audio stream, a free download from sourceforge). put the tapes on and recorded them, then saved out of audacity. Minimal fiddling to get the sound levels right then just a matter of having them playing in background while I worked, changing tapes as needed.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting to put their tapes onto the computer.

Mercury 749.939 230VAC 50Hz 1.18m Soldering Set
Mercury 749.939 230VAC 50Hz 1.18m Soldering Set
Offered by EnergyMonitorWorld

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a hobbyist, 4 Mar 2014
I bought this to fix several small cheap electronic devices that had failed due to the cheap wiring they use.

My usage is quite low so I wanted a cheap solution, and this worked out really well for me. The support base is a bit flimsy and easy to knock over, but otherwise I got a working soldering iron, solder, stand and fireproof "wiping" pad that worked.

I would recommend it to anyone like myself who had a few odd tasks to do that needed a soldering iron.

Apologia
Apologia

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and interesting story, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Apologia (Kindle Edition)
For a first novel this is truly excellent. I enjoyed the slightly dispassionate and understated narration that made me laugh out loud several times with the dry humour contained in it. The descriptions of the ancient egyptian setting and attitudes was interesting (not an area I am well versed in) and the portrayal of a different culture in a non-judgemental "this is what it is" way made it seem very real.

The main character is a person I think I would like, but find very frustrating. A little obsessive and asocial (so basically a tech-head like myself) but not cruel or malicious. The thing I liked the most was the portrayal of the religion and culture and the description of the investigation into "real" magic by the character.

This would have been 5 stars if there had been a description of the different events from other major characters, but that is a reflection on what I like to see in a pseudo-historical novel (I like Harry Turtledove, David Weber, David Brin, etc.) and love the politics and thinking behind the actions undertaken by the various parties being revealed.

I eagerly await the next book being released on Kindle and will buy it immediately.

Iron Sky [DVD]
Iron Sky [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julia Dietze
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Rollicking silly good fun, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Iron Sky [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because the premise sounded so funny, and because it was a Finnish production and I was curious. The story is ludicrous, but the realisation of the world is very well done and it pokes fun at all sorts of institutions as giant spaceships and black clad Nazis cross the screen. It was actually much better than I thought it would be which is why I give it 5 stars.

David Attenborough's First Life [DVD]
David Attenborough's First Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Finish at the beginning, 29 Dec 2012
I love David Attenborough's work, and this investigation into what we know about the earliest stages of life is an excellent addition to his documentaries. I learned much and love the fact he goes into some of the reason's that scientists think the way they do instead of just presenting the opinions and the gorgeous graphics.

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and true to Tin Tin, 29 Dec 2012
Fun story, the characters from the books well realised, gorgeous to watch with hugely fun action sequences. I hope they do a sequel.

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully balanced and gripping, 23 May 2012
This book is the best fantasy I have read in a long time. The writing is understated and appropriate, the characters interesting, the world beautifully revealed. Read this in 2 days, would have been one day but had work and family to worry about as well.

As soon as I submit this review I am buying the next book.

1634: The Bavarian Crisis (Ring of Fire)
1634: The Bavarian Crisis (Ring of Fire)
by Eric Flint
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars You have to read the earlier books, 2 Feb 2012
I enjoy the whole concept behind the ring of fire series. This book has some thoughts on education mixed in with the complicated world of Hapsburg politics.

I do not think this is a good stand-alone book since so much of the understanding and engagement necessary is built in the earlier books, but if you have read and enjoyed the earlier books this will continue the look at 17th Century European life through a slightly jingoistic and simplistic lens.

'Allo 'Allo! - Series 3 & 4 [1986] [DVD] [1982]
'Allo 'Allo! - Series 3 & 4 [1986] [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Gorden Kaye

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple humour with fun characters, 9 Sep 2011
This series is a great example of what the British do best in TV humour (in my opinion). It gently pokes fun at themselves and all those around us in a way that my 8 and 18 year old sons and my wife find funny as well as I do. The double entendre's flow fast but never in a nasty way and the pace and silliness keep my youngest enjoying the series as the mild adult references go straight over his head.
Loads of fun.