Profile for zenith > Reviews

zenith

Dowland: Lachrimae or Seven Teares 1604
Dowland: Lachrimae or Seven Teares 1604

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent performance, 29 Mar. 2014
The Lachrimae are the only instrumental pieces by Dowland. Downland is most known for his great songs and lute music, but these Lachrimae variations show the composer's great skill in writing for consort. Most (all?) of the pieces are consort versions of the composer's own well-known songs. They all stick to a Pavan, Galliard or Alman rhythm. The Jordi Savall recording is by far the best I know. The faster dances are very brilliant, but the Lachrimae show all different shades of sadness. I would recommend this CD to anyone. Even some of my not so classically oriented friends loved this CD. I guess the Lachrimae was a hit in the 1600s and it still is today.

Purcell: Fantasias for the Viols
Purcell: Fantasias for the Viols

5.0 out of 5 stars the best music of Purcell, 29 Mar. 2014
As a young man Purcell wrote these pieces, which were probably never performed during his lifetime. The music is still a 100% written in pre-baroque, viol consort style. Purcell follows examples such as Byrd and Jenkins. He follows in the footsteps of Matthew Locke, though Purcell writes his fantasias in a more conservative style I believe. There are many pieces in g-minor, Purcell's favorite key. I think these pieces are among the best consort music ever written. Jordi Savall plays exceptionally well. It is absolutely my favorite of all Hesperion CDs together with the Holborne and Elizabethan music. Please buy this amazing CD and you can enjoy it for the next 20 years on a daily basis (if you don't lose it like I have).

Richafort: Requiem in memoriam Josquin Desprez
Richafort: Requiem in memoriam Josquin Desprez

5.0 out of 5 stars best CD in my entire collection, 29 Mar. 2014
A long time ago I randomly came across this CD in a shop. I bought it and it turned out to be the best CD I've ever listened to. The music is written in the end of the polyphonic era. The requiem is the most complex polyphony you can imagine. Just 6 amazing melodies piled up almost randomly to form a monumental choir composition. The rendition is breath-taking. Van Nevel managed to make the choir sing every note perfectly in tune. There is no annoying vibrato. Vibrato always destroys my mood in English or French choirs performing old music. You can listen the requiem over and over again (which i did a lot) and never get bored by this honest and beautiful music.

Bach: Concerto in D and F minor, Partita No. 1 / Jazz Arrangments
Bach: Concerto in D and F minor, Partita No. 1 / Jazz Arrangments

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, clean and utterly enjoyable to listen to, 29 Mar. 2014
A long time ago I heard a recording of Grohovski and a few weeks ago I finally decided to buy his CD. I didn't even bother to listen to the first CD in this double-CD-box, and even now I haven't and I won't any time soon. I understand that Grohovski recorded that first CD, because it is important to show his 'opponents' that he can play Bach properly classical.

But then the second CD... It's so delightful to hear a very nice a rhythmic version of Bach's concertos and his first partita. The jazz trio clearly sounds more classical than most trios I know. Grohovski even chose to stick very much with the original notes, which he plays more or less all the time. He almost doesn't improvise. How then is this jazz? Well, I guess it's the awesome rhythmic clarity and the coulourful walking bass. The drums keep the pieces together and make the beat predictable and constant. Because of that, the mind is not kept busy with irregularities in the rhythm, so one can really focus on the nice melodies and harmonies.

Finally I have to say I managed to impress my friends with this CD. They are all fond of Bach on the harpsichord and with a baroque orchestra, but they all had to admit this rendition of Bach was amazing.

Only little bit I was not happy with on this CD is mr. Grohovski's slowing down on the end of each piece. Maybe it would have been better he'd just stick to the beat.