Profile for Nicholas P. Pimlott > Reviews

Content by Nicholas P. Pi...

Nicholas P. Pimlott

Coleman Bedrock Tent for 2 Person
Coleman Bedrock Tent for 2 Person

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Feb. 2016
Had sex in it during a torrential storm in Budapest last August and wasn't disturbed at all.

SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)
SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)
Offered by Telemotion

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what a gamer needs, 4 Dec. 2011
I bought this with the Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black after using an old neoprene laptop case as a mousepad because I needed some good hardware! I was sort of skeptical because of the price, but the reviews set my mind at ease and I'm incredibly happy with it. It's such a simple, cheap mousepad that nothing can go wrong, it's really really smooth, a nice neoprene surface with a more textured side on the bottom which grips like hell! is rolled up nicely in it's case with a Steel Series sticker ;) - And before you start thinking that it won't unroll properly, it will. The size is great, perfect for gaming and general use, haven't found myself needing extra space or falling of the sides whilst gaming.

DO IT! There's really no reason why you should fork out ridiculous prices for mouse pads with horrible images on them when you can get something so simple and sexy as this

Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black
Sharkoon Fireglider Laser Mouse - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmm..., 4 Dec. 2011
So I ordered this mouse along with the SteelSeries Surface QcK (PC) after spending too long gaming with a crappy 3-button mouse with a neoprene laptop case as a mousepad. Honestly, I'm so happy with the upgrade!
I admit that at first I was reticent to buying it because it was so cheap in comparison to other good gaming mice I'd seen, but after a while of trawling through the reviews I decided to choose it over the pricier mice. It arrived swiftly and well packaged as I expected.
The actual packaging was a tad over the top, but I know that's often the case with mice. There's not much inside the actual packaging, which is quite nice. Instead of getting tons of manuals and things you'll never read or use it's just simply the mouse in the box, with a nice carry bag. Inside the bag there are spare mouse feet and a driver installation disk (BEWARE: The installation disk is miniDVD disk, which will only work with tray disk-drives).

As for the actual mouse, I'm astonished at the quality. The build is comprised of several panels of matte plastic, which feel incredibly sturdy together. Not once have i felt any sort of flex from the plastic, it's really quite strong. Along the thumb-side (left) of the mouse, there's a textured rubber panel for extra grip with your thumb. just above that are two extra buttons; these can be configured to, for example: forward and backward on an internet browser. The button closest has a dotted texture whilst the other is smooth, for easy (and eyes-free) establishment whilst you're gaming. The middle of the mouse holds 3 buttons; a scroll wheel, DPI adjust and an extra, much smaller button. These are very easy to locate without needing to look and are also very good quality. The scroll wheel has horizontal lines in it for grip and is really nice to use, it doesn't move around at all in ways which it shouldn't as well. The DPI (sensitivity) is measured by colour; an unlit button represents the lowest sensitivity, whilst a green and lighter green combo represents the highest sensitivity (which is ridiculously high). There's a really good range of sensitivities for any gamer, it's good for switching in-game and is easy to navigate. The extra button in the middle is a great little feature. It's designed to be used with your left finger and is set to triple any click by default (in game, this would result in, say, 3 shots from a gun instead of 1). It's great for assigning to a very necessary control that needs to be pulled off quickly. The actual left and right mouse buttons are huge and really nice to use. They have ridges on the sides to stop you from going off the edge and can be clicked from literally any space on the buttons. Every button is super responsive and has a really satisfying click to it, they're also all really good quality.

The mouse feet ensure really smooth movement and the whole thing fits my medium-large hand well without me feeling uncomfortable using it. The cable is a very nice length and of good quality. Also, having weights is great, I'm able to fine tune the weight of my mouse depending on what I'm playing and how I'll be playing it. There are 7 pieces with a thin rubber ring around each of them. They fit into a sort of "revolver cylinder" shaped thing very snugly and securely. They then fit into the base of the mouse and are secured with the base plate. The difference between having a full cylinder as opposed to not having one is substantial, this allows for some good fine tuning! The maximum added weight is 19.5 grams, that's about 2.8 grams per weight.

As for the actual gaming experience, you won't be let down. I've played a lot with this mouse since I've received it, and also, I've done a lot of basic day-to-day things with it. I've played some online FPS games; Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source and I've loved it! There's a massive difference having a smooth mouse with an awesome DPI and really sensitive buttons compared to a clunky old logitech from the 90s. I've been using all of the buttons to their full extent, assigning them to different controls to make my gaming more fluid. Also, being able to change the sensitivity throughout a game is really helpful, it's great for adjusting to different situations if needs be. I've also not had any sort of cramp with this mouse, it's really ergonomically designed to the extent that I actually haven't felt any pain after playing, even for really long periods of time. I think the longest I'd clocked with this mouse at once was about 3-4 hours, sure I needed to stretch after it but there was no pain in the long term! Also, I've been using it for daily browsing of the internet and normal consumer use, it's great in that field and is a joy to use. Even though there aren't any particularly fancy features it does it's job brilliantly

Overall I would really recommend this mouse, a great addition to my setup and will have so much use in it's time. I really can't see myself needing to upgrade until it breaks because it's such good quality and is so simple. I think 7 buttons is more than one would need for gaming (and especially general use).

So go on, get off the fence and buy this mouse already! You won't be disappointed

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by bnhlmt

5.0 out of 5 stars The first reviews are off to a good start, Best FPS since COD4, 28 Oct. 2011
I preordered Battlefield 3 and recieved it on the 27th. From seeing Amazon's American counterpart and how many fake 1Star reviews there are of Battlefield 3 I predict that there'll be a fair few on here, but ignore all of that. Truth is, Battlefield 3 is the most modern, stylish, technically advanced, beautiful, well made, visually stunning, emotional, enticing, captivating, balanced and downright erection-worthy FPS game I've ever played. I really can't communicate the beauty of this game, it's one of a kind. Saying that, you'll either love it or hate it. If you're more inclined to playing CoD, stick to CoD. If you want something more tactically challenging, go for BF3.

EDIT:
Here are the pros and cons (happy now?)

-Sound physics and dynamic lighting - PROS:
The "skit" sound as a sniper rifle pellets the floor around you as you run from cover to cover is not only absolutely terrifying, but you find yourself actually ducking away from the rounds in real life. Open map gunfire and overall audio is much broader compared to the same indoors, where the sound reverberates off the walls in such a realistic way. The audio really interacts with the environment you're in, whether you're in a narrow alleyway, a wide tunnel or right in the open air. As for the Dynamic lighting, they've really improved on the blocky shadows that I used to see in Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Now they look even more atmospheric and dingy. The sun is potentially blinding and can really impede your vision, a lot of people might find it annoying but it really adds to the game. The tactical flashlight is not only useful for blinding enemies and disorientating them, but can also be used to light up dark corridors. There are virtually no cons to these features, everything is bang on.

-Destruction 3.0 - PROS:
The interactive destruction an even more accurate. Bits of cover will be shot away from you with even more realism and the overall physics of the debris (the weight and way it falls etc) looks so much better. The horror as your precious cover gets torn away by a tank blast is so uncanny to how you would imagine it being, the adrenaline really gets pumping and is such an incredible experience. Also having the power to collapse the building that your enemies are hiding adds such a great dimension to the gameplay. you're given the option to carve your own way through the battlefield.

-Battlelog - PROS:
Battlelog is a really neat way to stay in touch with your friends on the battlefield, join platoons and organise times to play. The website itself is well designed, clean and fairly concise. It's a great resource for all Battlefield related news and the forums are great. It's exclusive to people who own Battlefield 3 so there's no trolling from random individuals. You can see all of your stats in an instant with all of the profiles you've registered with your EA account, whether it's your Ps3, Xbox or Origin(PC) profiles. You can also keep track of how your friends are progressing, and if they're out-performing you. It gives a similar layout to social networking sites, giving you the option to create a status which people can comment on or "hooah!" (BF3's answer to Liking on facebook). The forums are full of mature people and is a great place to share techniques, news and videos. It's also a great place to meet new like-minded players. Battlelog is handy because it's pretty much everything you need in one place.

CONS:
Now, there are a few cons to Battlelog, the first being that the whole website is designed around PC players. The homepage gives you the option to play Singleplayer, Co-op and Multiplayer, but if you haven't bought the game on PC you can't use those, rendering them pointless and irritating for console players. Also, having a feed of every single Ribbon, unlock and rank-up from each player makes it very cluttered. If DICE were to organise them into manageable categories for each type of unlock or reward it would be a lot better. Saying that, DICE react very well to feedback and I can see some improvements will probably happen in the future.

-Campaign - PROS:
Now I haven't completed the campaign so you might want to ignore this, but I'm just going to go from what I've seen regarding the gameplay, NOT THE STORY. The campaign offers some good perspectives on the way to play an fps, offering some interesting environments, situations and vehicles to play in. There are some threats in the campaign which will get you ducking almost as often as Multiplayer.

CONS:
Some of the moments I'd really anticipated turned out to be quite disappointing. The AI is intelligent enough not to run up to you and mow you down, without any care for it's own life (like in CoD) but is still quite stupid. The AI is pretty much limited to the "peeking out of cover to shoot" gamestyle, which can get quite monotonous after a while. Even if you're fighting in the coolest location for a gunfight, you're still slightly limited by the AI.

-Multiplayer - PROS:
Now this is where Battlefield really shines. Dice have really made some good improvements to the Multiplayer from earlier titles, making the maps even more vibrant with breathtaking backdrops. Tall, majestic mountains tower over you as you play. Burning oilfields cloud the sky with black smoke which can be seen for miles. Each weapon is pretty well balanced and performs best the way they're intended to play; you can't run around quickscoping, the recon class requires you to be stealthy, efficient and also give the team support from a distance. Engineers are most effective at close combat encounters, and are also encouraged to repair vehicles and neutralise other enemy transport with Anti-Tank mines, RPGs, laser guided missiles and so on. The Assault class is used for medium range encounters, providing support for the team and dishing out vital med-packs and reviving downed allies. The Support class uses a medium to long range LMG to suppress enemies and allow other team mates to achieve the objective. They also have Ammo packs to restore the ammunition of your team. Each class is rewarded for playing the way they should be played, which is a vital element to effective teamplay. Also in BF3, you won't get far by kills alone in Rush or Conquest. Both game types require teamwork and objective orientated gameplay to score you more points.
Rush requires the attackers to plant explosives on pairs of MCOM stations. Once a pair is taken out the attackers can move up to another set. The defenders need to stop them from destroying all of the MCOMs by bringing down their number of reenforcement tickets by killing them.
Conquest is a more long range game type. Two teams go head to head to secure as many sites on the map. If a team has the majority of flags in their possession the reenforcement tickets of the opposing team will slowly diminish. The goal is to bring the enemies reenforcement tickets to 0.
There are also Team Deathmatch, Squad Deathmatch and Squad Rush. The server browser is also a great way to specify exactly what kind of game you want to play, to the extent where you can search for a 20+ player match on operation: Firestorm, with the server located in Asia.

CONS:
The only real problems with the maps are certain areas which allow people to "camp", making it nearly impossible to get to the objective. This is incredibly frustrating seeing someone with an LMG lying down at the end of a long corridor mowing down anyone who comes through. I know this is more to do with the player, but giving someone the opportunity to camp will often cause them to camp. Also in Rush, pairs of MCOMs can be too close to each other. This gives any defender the chance to sit in between and kill anyone who tries to get to the MCOMS. One of the biggest and most reoccurring problems is the Matchmaking. I've had absolutely no success in joining a match through the "quick match" option, so I've had to resort to using the Server Browser. The problem with the server browser is that every single server has only 1 or 2 spaces. I'm guessing this is down to the lack of servers so far and I can imagine it'll be sorted out, but it's still quite frustrating because I can't play in a squad with my friends. Also, the amount of servers available seems to differ all the time; I came on yesterday to a few pages, returning in a few hours I found only two!

I know I haven't covered everything in this game but the stuff I haven't included doesn't really need mentioning because it works how it should. Battlefield is a unique game which deserves the 9+/10 reviews it's gotten so far.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2011 1:14 PM BST

The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln
Offered by MusicnMedia

2.0 out of 5 stars So very unfaithful to it's graphic novel counterpart, 26 Sept. 2011
I was apprehensive but ultimately pretty excited for this series.
I fell in love with the comics for it's original take at a fairly
exploited sub-genre, the ol' zombie tale. Each issue consistently
delivered with a brilliant plot, great character development and
inhumane, cruel twists. It managed to convey such a suitable
melancholic atmosphere to what we all recognise as a world that
we really wouldn't want to live in. There's always massive tension
throughout the whole thing and an unnerving sense of mortality
goes from page to page.

Maybe the same notions aren't transferrable to film, but series 1
was awful. It was surprising how the creator of the comic series
(robert kirkman) let the whole first season plummet into the
cesspit of hollywood inspired failures. Cheap actors, crumby
sub-plots and terribly unconvincing locations and scenarios.
The Walking Dead has just settled itself into a deep groove of
easy but superficial cinema. It's heartbreaking to see a series
with so much potential go to s***.

Sure, watch this for a bit of lighthearted fun, it's not the most
satisfying watch if you're into zombies though.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2011 4:49 PM GMT

Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit) - (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars My best investment yet, 22 July 2011
I'm an amateur film-maker and the 550d has been my best investment yet.
I've had lots of experience with DSLR cameras in the past so I was quite at home with the interface, manual controls cover the usual exposure features (ISO, shutter speed and aperture), there's full control of white balance with a "custom" feature which is very useful with fine tuning your colours. The 550d can record in PAL or NTSC with full 1080p HD, 720p and 540 SD quality with a variety of fps rates. There are two new features which I haven't seen before, which are Picture style and auto lighting optimiser, both are useful when calibrating a shot to your taste. The LP-E8 battery supplied is brilliant, I've never found myself needing to charge (although I've charged it when I have nothing better to do). I've used this camera every day since I bought it just under a week ago, I've made 6 short films and I've loved every second of using it. The kit lens supplied isn't the best quality but it does the job well, I have two other more expensive lenses (sigma 20-40mm and 70-200mm) from my previous DSLR. The internal flash is surprisingly good, set high to illuminate the whole of the photo's frame. The movie zoom function is SIGNIFICANTLY useful when finding a good focus length to film at. The internal mic isn't amazing, but a lot of the films I've made don't involve much recorded sound. I have an external mic (ZOOM H2) for recording sound, which I can hook up to my camera to record along to the video I film.

I've made this review because whilst convincing my parents to approve of my purchase, I found very few satisfying reviews which talked about the video function on the 550d, so I hope that any aspiring film-makers will see this and get peace of mind when buying.
Another thing to consider is that I rarely make reviews for products that I buy on amazon, partially because of the effort involved and partly because the product isn't outstanding. If I make a review of it, it has to be good! So go, buy this camera!