Profile for Rockin' Eddy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Cruisin' In The 60's [3CD Box Set]
Cruisin' In The 60's [3CD Box Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars Cruisin' Back In Time!!!!, 18 Mar. 2016
Yes, we all remember Rock n' Roll Radio!!! A real treat for the songs outside the public domain and hard-to-find on CD in compilations: "California Sun," "Run Baby Run"...etc.

A lot of familiar tunes and artists, but I bought it for the other reasons. Highlights for me: "Lies" by the Knickerbockers who modeled themselves after the Beatles (or did the Beatles after them???), "The Boy From NY City" by the Ad-libs, one of my all-time fave doo-wop tune, for the class of '65 baby! Beware: "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash is NOT the original; don't know why but I guess because the original has a very dull "Gary U.S. Bonds" sound as if it were cut in a wardrobe. No problem for me, the dirtier the better.

Moving on, you get "Harlem Shuffle" by Bob (Bobby Day) & Earl, "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" produced by who else? Mr. Phil Spector. Wonderful tune by the Olympics "Dance By The Light Of The Moon." You get the very first successful songs (if you will) by the Beach Boys in "Surfin" and Marvin Gaye's first serious hit "Stubborn Kind Of Fellow."

All-time faves of my mine are as well here: Heart & Soul, Pretty Little Angel Eyes, The Wanderer, Sheila, Last Night...etc. I play these all on my radio show: find me - The Rockin' Eddy Oldies Radio Show.

Can we expect a Cruisin' In The '50s by Not Now? It would make the collection complete for a generation.

Good Rockin' Tonight: The Old Town Records Story 1952-1962 [3CD Box Set]
Good Rockin' Tonight: The Old Town Records Story 1952-1962 [3CD Box Set]

4.0 out of 5 stars It's SOOOOO FIIIIINE!!!!, 15 Oct. 2015
Another great comp by ONE DAY MUSIC. It's so fine (sorry for wearing out the Fiestas' tune); it's a great feature here for the class of '59, baby!

Lots of Doo-Wop and Fifties vocal groups. The big hits from the Old Town catalogue are here: "Let The Little Girl Dance" by Billy Bland, "There's A Moon Out Tonight" by the Capris and "We Belong Together" by Robert & Johnny; these were the chart toppers, but unfortunately there are some tunes missing on this comp (the reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5). We're missing 2 big hits from Old Town; "Dear One" by Larry Finnegan and "Remember Then" by the Earls, both Old Town releases within the public domain - why were they left out?

Other highlights for me were "My Faith" by the Fi-Tones, "It's True" by the Rogues and "Good News" by the Fiestas (their follow-up hit???). The title track is hard-to-find nowadays in its single edit version (good job ONE DAY) and there's a fine instrumental by Preston Brown "Walk On."

Again, could have been better with the 2 hits we're missing!

This Is The Night: The End Records Story 1957 - 1962
This Is The Night: The End Records Story 1957 - 1962

5.0 out of 5 stars End Records, I Love You So!!!!!!!!!!!!, 13 Oct. 2015
First of all, I have to highlight that the release of catalogues like so, which ONE DAY MUSIC does month after month (although I've noticed that they've come to a halt lately - don't know why!) gives all of us an in-depth look at material never even made the Top 40 or material that never found airplay. That fact alone just blows my mind away!

The End Records Story is another fine example of quality material produced back in the day; yes, there are B-sides which won't satisfy us, but that's just the nature of these releases and not everything was agreeable back then. You get the Flamingos and every tune is worth a listen. Their "I Only Have Eyes For You" is featured on American Graffiti and was a smash back in '59. Little Anthony and The Imperials' Top 10 single "Tears On My Pillow" is here and has been covered by so many artists later to come.

Ok, by now, I've mentioned the topnotch national tunes; with these comps I go for the rare and obscure tunes! We all know the Chantels' "Maybe" but I like "I Love You So" a whole lot more (goosebumps every time I hear it, Lord, have mercy!) Other tunes worth checking out are "Now That We've Broke Up" by the Dubs (you'll remember them back in '57 with "Could This Be Magic"), "If I Should Lose You" by the Dreamlovers and "Hey Little Cupid" by The Uniques. "Got A Job" by the Miracles (yes, Smokey Robinson) was an answer to the Silhouettes' "Get A Job."

If you're like me, tired of listening to the same Unchained Melody, I'm A Believer, Stand By Me type oldies, here are comps with fresh old but "new" tunes ready for your collection at home. ONE DAY, please keep 'em coming!

Get A Job: The Ember Records Story 1956-1962 [3CD Box Set]
Get A Job: The Ember Records Story 1956-1962 [3CD Box Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep Yep Yep Yep! Sha Na Na Na!, 26 Sept. 2015
Ok, you get 2 of the best '50s tunes of all-time (Get A Job & In the Still Of The Night), yes, but other very valuable material from the Ember catalogue. The Silhouettes' "Bing Bong" is worth checking out and The Five Satin's "To The Aisle" is super fine (just to show how simple life was back then - "first a boy and a girl meet each other....then they sit down to talk for a while"). They weren't at all one-hit wonders as we can see or what we thought back then.

Billy Myles' "The Joker (That's What They Call Me) was a huge hit for Ember, made the national charts around '57 - also shows how times have changed ("my friends say I've never seemed so gay").

Major artist from the label was Lee Allen - he could sure blow that sax! We all remember him with "Walkin' With Mr. Lee" but I've always liked more "Tic Toc" found on CD 3 here.

Dean & Jean are great with "We're Gonna Get Married" - I can't find this track on any record around. Well-known artists appear: Ernie K. Doe, the Edsels...etc. and "Puddle Jumper" by Davey Dee & The Mudcats stood out as a record I didn't know and liked.

Another one for the collection, at a reasonable price, go for it!

I'm Ready: The Modern Story [REISSUED] [Double CD]
I'm Ready: The Modern Story [REISSUED] [Double CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Meanwhile, back in the States!!!!!, 9 May 2015
The Modern Story concentrates on all the R&B that took America by storm in the Fifties. You wanna talk about the roots of Rock N' Roll? You can begin here and finally realize that it wasn't those artists, whom we think are the pioneers of popular music, that shaped the musical world we live in today.

The big names are here; John Lee Hooker, Etta James and Elmore James. Notable tunes include "Stranded In The Jungle" by the Cadets for the class of '56, baby! I especially liked "Don't Feel Sorry For Me" by Jimmy Beasely and you can't go wrong with "Hit Grit & Split" by Young Jessie (all the rockers in decades later to come, eat your heart out!).

What a tremendous way to end with Jesse Belvin's "Goodnight My Love." These, folks, are the artists that made all those yet to come who they were. You get a piece of musical history with these comps from ONE DAY MUSIC. I rest my case!!!!

Chills & Fever: The Dot Records Story
Chills & Fever: The Dot Records Story
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidential As A Baby's Cry!!!!, 1 May 2015
One of the most renowned American labels of all-time, Dot took the Rock N' Roll by storm. Unlike some other reviews I've read, you won't find a more complete compilation of Dot releases. Some other Dot compilations concentrate on only one genre, while ONE DAY brings it all, Doo-Wop, Rockabilly....etc.

The title track gets you going "Chills & Fever," way ahead of its time in 1961. You get the likes of Pat Boone, Tab Hunter, Jim Lowe, Dorsey Burnette, Dodie Stevens and Gale Storm. Dot offers great early Soul in Arthur Alexander and masterful Doo-Wop in the Del-Vikings (the very first interracial act). Rockabilly highlight in Sanford Clark's '56 "The Fool."

There is a track that has always been a favourite of mine; check out Sonny Knight "Confidential."

All In My Mind: The Wand Records Story 1961-1962 [Double CD]
All In My Mind: The Wand Records Story 1961-1962 [Double CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Soul at its best!!!, 30 April 2015
Same production of material as sister Scepter, Wand was responsible for launching early Soul and it was a launchpad of good things to come later in the decade, in terms of Soul, that is.

Look out, Ms. Aretha Franklin, here comes Maxine Brown with her precious "All In My Mind." Early Shirelles "Tonight's The Night" and "Mama Said" are early Girl Group staples. Chuck Jackson puts his 2 cents in with "I Don't Want To Cry" and Bobby Peterson's "Irresistible You" was later coverd by Bobby Darin.

Tammy Montgomery is Tammi Terrell, who later teamed up with Marvin Gaye. She's splendid with "Voice Of Experience." There's doo-wop in "Trickle Trickle" by the Videos. Vocal group Lee Andrews and the Hearts capture the mood with their fair share of hits. Shep and the Limelites' Daddy's Home was No.2 in 1961 and the original "Twist and Shout" was even bigger.

Douglas Jocko Henderson unveiled his radio jive on "A Little Bit Of Everything" - a record hard-to-find today. Gerry Granaham "No Chemise, Please" is a fun teen sound. All in all, a great variety of tunes released on Wand back in the early Sixties.

Werewolf: The Dolton Records Story 1959-1962 [Double CD]
Werewolf: The Dolton Records Story 1959-1962 [Double CD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Dum Dum Dum Do Da Dubby Du....., 30 April 2015
Dolton out of Seattle was mainly known for 2 artists back in the day - the Ventures and the Fleetwoods. Enough to please anybody on this comp, although it could have done more with more Ventures. "Perfidia" is very underrated. I feel it's just as good as "Walk, Don't Run."

Many buyers, like me, might be interested in owning a copy of "Midnight Sun" by the Five Whispers. Trust me, you won't find it anywhere but here. Another obscure tune not found anywhere is "Portrait of a Blonde" by Hank Levine. Radio relied on Mr. Levine for talkover beds and jingle spots.

Little Bill & The Bluenotes hit No. 66 on Billboard 1959 with "I Love An Angel" and it's featured here. Ok, sure, the Fleetwoods could be cheesy, but just like the Carpenters hit our soft spot, so did they. How can you not like their dum dum dum do da dubby du...

Don't Do It: The Smash Records Story 1961-1962 [Double CD]
Don't Do It: The Smash Records Story 1961-1962 [Double CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Smash hits from Smash!!!!, 30 April 2015
A subsidiary of Mercury, Smash launched hit records in the early 60's. Its biggest of them all, track 2 "Hey Baby" by Bruce Channel; his follow-ups are here but never made the same noise. Dickey Lee was a well-known name to Smash. He scored with "I Saw Linda Yesterday" in late 1962 and his "Patches," a story about a suicide was too much for mainstream Sixties radio, therefore it was banned from airplay.

Joe Dowell sings his own Presley's "Wooden Heart" (went to No. 2 in America's billboard chart in 1961). Joe Barry's "I'm A Fool To Care" is a fine tune, but I bet you never knew it was based on a song sung decades before (investigate!)

Rick and Keens, quite well-known, sing a nice cover version of "Peanuts," originally done by Little Joe and the Thrillers back in '57.

All in all, pretty good compilation for early Sixties fans or baby boomers!

Ding Dong: The Gee Records Story 1956-1962 [Double CD]
Ding Dong: The Gee Records Story 1956-1962 [Double CD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart & Soul!!!!, 30 April 2015
What a tremendous mix of doo-wop and R&B tunes out of the Gee catalogue, which comes out of New York City. You get the main hits by Frankie Lymon, the Regents singing the original "Barbara Anne" (later covered by the Beach Boys) and their follow-up "Runaround" hit No.15 in America's billboard charts. The Cleftones are included as well; their "Heart and Soul" has always been a favourite of mine along the years.

2 tracks that stand out for me that I was not familiar with are "Listen Baby" by the Mello Keys and "Lonesome Road" by the Johnny Green Combo. This last one is a raunchy sax instrumental whose rhythm and beat is highly influenced by the Bo Diddley sound.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3