Profile for P. Asbury-millwood > Reviews

Content by P. Asbury-millwood

P. Asbury-millwood (Walsall, west midlands United Kingdom)

Oregon Scientific Meep Tablet
Oregon Scientific Meep Tablet
Offered by DylansToyStore
Price: 59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It took time and research but this tablet is fabulous, 6 Jan 2013
I purchased this tablet after reading the reviews on Amazon.com and made use of one of the reviewers there "Gen of North Coast Gardening" who has had her MEEPs from September. There is alot of advice for issues that have arisen posted and a gentleman from Oregon Scientific has also given pointers and ensured that some of the software problems are solved. I got this child's tablet in November and spent time downloading all the free apps that I thought my son would like, so we luckly avoided the Christmas server crash, which would have spoiled my good opinion of the product.

It's been a fantastic buy that has kept my ADHD son entertained since christmas and this is no mean feat. I'm always trawling for a new app for us to try and it feels really nice in your hand and if my son who gets frustrated very easily is happy with the start up of app speed so am I. My other son's NABI2 is faster but we're talking 5 to 10 seconds difference. The download speed is slow but not more noticible than my three year old computer.

The two real negatives (apart from the big xmas crash of servers)is that there seems to be a problem with the ebook reader and recentley when trying to download new apps they fail as the sd card is full. As the card has 16gb I do not believe this to be true and other customers have reported this fault. My son has his own kindle account set up which I send money certificates to and he reads on his MEEP using the kindle app but the sd card continues to be a problem.(Taking away one of the stars I had given it.)

If I wish to moan I would also say that most of the educational content is aimed at toddlers and really young children as my son is 11 it's a bit of a let down but to solve this we'll just look at the educational stuff on google play store.

Here's a little of the advice that I was able to use to my benefit gathered from other sites and my own experiences.

1. Reduce the brightness and sound to extend the battery life and be easier on you child's eyes.

2. Gentle single touches and waiting works better than a heavy touch

3. Do not touch the screen when it is black or starting up as it is working and extra infomation will delay the app/start up

4. Set up the parental portal before letting the children play and this only works in the Google Chrome or Apple Safari browser

5. Set your child's allowances ie time, coins, and access to websites

6. The MEEP coins won't appear on the MEEP until you allocate them. They still wont appear unless you've set your child's coin allowance to either approved or unlimited.

7. You're child can spend coins and download apps but they won't appear on the MEEP until you've approved them via the parent's portal.

8. Once you've set up an email account for your child (with no access to your credit card) you can start using google play store for apps but it won't let you download ebooks until a credit card is used. You will not need to open it via the MEEP as it is quicker to use a pc and just download them straight to the MEEP that way. (as recently the open google play store button on MEEP doesn't work via the parents portal)

9. Oregon MEEP have a facebook page that they will answer questions posted in their comments. From reading these comments this will be the cheaper option as people are left on hold for long amounts of time at the momment Jan 2013 but this will pass.

I hope this helps if you are having problems with your child's tablet. At the new bargin price it's a steal and I'm thinking of buying another just in case this meets with an unfortunate accident it's already had a few crashes but has survived unscathed.

**Just an update the on/off button developed a fault after 2 months of use. Amazon replaced it however I would have prefered it repaired by Oregon who were not really interested when I emailed them. So I've taken off a few stars as I now believe that this is a known and regular fault with this product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2013 12:27 AM GMT

Kurio 7 Android Tablet for Kids
Kurio 7 Android Tablet for Kids

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent family tablet, 30 Nov 2012
I purchased this tablet during the Black Fiday week of lightning deals and when it arrived the next day the packaging was of good quality and very appealing. The Kurio arrived fully charged although in the instructions they recommend that it should be charged for three hours prior to use.

After setting up and playing with the tablet, I found the tablet to be very easy to use for someone new to android and I was moving around the system in no time (this is from someone who abandened her latest smart phone because it was too hard to understand). During set up Amazon App store and Mobile apps were offered to download along side Kurio's own free app store. After setting up the childsafe profiles that I required, I switched off Kurio's interface and used the tablet as a normal tablet. This was my downfall as now I've decided that I need one too.It has 1gb ram and a fast processer although not as fast as a Nabi2 I really couldn't see the difference when playing the Angry Bird apps and moving around the programmes on the tablet.

All in all I'm glad I ignored the negative reviews this is going to make my son a happy little boy come Christmas morning. (If I don't keep it for myself that is.)

LANDISUN 692 RED PAISLEY TIE SET: TIE+HANKY+CUFFLINKS
LANDISUN 692 RED PAISLEY TIE SET: TIE+HANKY+CUFFLINKS

4.0 out of 5 stars A good well made tie., 8 Sep 2012
I really liked the vivid colours of the tie when it arrived. The embroidery and weave is head and shoulders above a printed tie. I purchased this as a birthday presant and hope that the gentleman with the new bespoke suit approves my contribution to his high brow look.

The Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking: Tools, Techniques, Projects, Picture Framing, Joinery, Home Maintenance, Furniture Repair
by Stephen Corbett

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good introduction to woodworking, 8 Sep 2012
I recieved the book yesterday and it really is a good read. There's infomation about choosing wood and a very detailed introduction to woodworking tools and laying out the ideal work shop. The author writes well and you can feel the joy of the topic flowing from the pages. The best point he makes is take your time good woodworking comes with time and can't be rushed.

The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures (Student Edition)
by Lisa Dougherty

4.0 out of 5 stars The essential resourse for student nurses., 21 Jun 2010
This book is an essential buy for the student nurse, I bought a lot of books over my first year and although some were good books this is the only book apart from an Anatomy and Physiology book, that I would say is definitely needed in the first year. Unlike the non-student version, it is smaller sized so that it can fit in an average bag, easy to carry to university and to whatever placement you are on. All correct evidence based procedures for the nurse are listed and many references to support your learning. Pictures and tables help students assimilate the information and the text explains the reasoning behind the procedures. Great introductions and summaries all work to provide background theory and practical insight. The Royal Marsden is THE essential learning resource for nurses and it will be used for the whole of your nursing course and your nursing career. Hope this helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2010 3:38 PM BST

Russell Hobbs 10008 Breadman Pro
Russell Hobbs 10008 Breadman Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Just loving it., 1 Jan 2006
Jan 2006:I have just bought this breadmaking machine and after baking one of the basic wholemeal recipes, I have to say that it is money well spent. The first batch was the best bread I have tasted in a long while. I was so impressed with both the easy to use instructions which are writen with great humour and recipies that are for those new to this breadmaking lark, that I immediately used it to bake a cake. I love it to bits. Although I am a bit worried about the whole longevity issue which some reviews have mentioned I will but my best foot forward and if it breaks down in the next two years I shall endeavour to slag it and Russell Hobbs off in great detail and style.

Sept 2012: Well it's 2012 now and I'd I can happily say that the bread maker is still in use and has not let me down yet 6 years later. The money really was well spent and I would certainly buy another bread maker if anything does happen to this one.