Profile for Miss S > Reviews

Miss S

Insanely Doomed: Why Apple Will Crash Without Steve Jobs
Insanely Doomed: Why Apple Will Crash Without Steve Jobs

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly balanced and worth the read., 21 Nov. 2012
Surprisingly balanced and worth the read.
I read this book out of curiosity because I was one of the very few people who didn't immediately love my iPhone as soon as I got it. I'm open to the possibility that Apple may decline without Jobs as Paul Turner points out so well in his book, however, he also makes some interesting points about companies who did survive the deaths of their creators. I think that people may jump to conclusions about this book as any negative feedback about Apple doesn't seem to go down well with the majority of the population but I don't think the author hammers his points so hard that you resent him for it. He writes in a way where he demonstrates his own opinion but also encourages you to form yours and I think it could go either way. Even though the book didn't convince me entirely it brought up many valid points about the future of Apple and remains a worthwhile read for tech junkies or even just a curious reader with little knowledge!

The Lunar Code
The Lunar Code

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent short read., 9 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Lunar Code (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy reading a short story as I feel that the plot moves along quickly rather than dragging out the storyline. However, if this was a longer book then perhaps the author could have developed the characters a little more as there appears to be a lot of depth to all of them. I did enjoy the character of Peter the detective right from the beginning as he seemed to want to uncover the secret because of his morals rather than trying to cover it up out of some warped loyalty to a cult. I was also surprised that Alicia the high-class hooker was part of the Freemasons and I liked the fact that Robert Foster didn't stick to gender or class stereotypes. The story was unpredictable and fascinating; the concept of there being a secret behind the moon landings was a brilliant and original one and I look forward to reading more by this author.

Parenting Without Tears: Living With Teenagers
Parenting Without Tears: Living With Teenagers

5.0 out of 5 stars A great step-by-step, realistic guide., 12 Sept. 2012
Before I read Parenting Without Tears I was wary that this may be a book with a lot of psychological analyses but it's more enjoyable and accessible than that. Anne Coates has done a good job of setting out her arguments in clear, straight-forward chapters that seem to cover everything that I could think of on how to deal with teens. I found that when I was reading this book I was putting myself in the role of the teen and thinking of the kinds of things I did when I was that age and found that Coates' advice was simple but effective; as a teenager I would have responded well to her suggestions. My parents are rather old-fashioned and wouldn't dream of picking up a book on parenting as this is quite a modern notion and they're more likely to do what feels natural, which incidentally, is the same as Coates suggesting to follow your gut instinct. I can understand people's hesitation to read this kind of book but when I read through it I realised that Coates doesn't overdo it with pretentious language or arrogance but she gives simple, easy-to-follow advice that many parents will already know but may just need reminding of; it's a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

The Vengeance Man
The Vengeance Man

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliantly written story that made me want more!, 2 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Vengeance Man (Kindle Edition)
I'd never really been into thrillers much until a friend recommended this to me. I've always been a bit of a chick-lit reader and stayed away from this genre because I'm not really a fan of the blood and guts kind of stories. However, John McRae's story was so well written and the protagonist's plans were so brilliantly executed that I was hooked from the beginning to the end! I normally like chick-lit because I thought I can relate to the characters and I didn't think a thriller like this would be my cup of tea but I actually found that I could understand the character's drive and need for vengeance. I really enjoyed the action sequences too and I think that I'm definitely going to be reading more of this genre, especially other books by this author!

Raffles: The Complete Innings
Raffles: The Complete Innings

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Just One For The Boys., 1 Sept. 2012
Although I'm a Holmes fan I was a little worried that this book might be one for the boys. Although there is a bit of cricket in a couple of the stories Raffles and Bunny are as appealing to women as men, indeed I have spent some time torn between who I prefer most. Each story can be read on its own for the most part, but when the stories are placed together it also reads like one novel. There are some laugh out loud moments, as well as just charming and sweet scenes and comments from Bunny that will make you smile. Stories get better as they go along as we have more of a knowledge and love for characters. My favourite in collection is Raffles Caught out, but to tell you why would ruin twist.

If I have a criticism it's that I'd like an introduction or more notes on some of the things and figures that are referenced in the stories (also the author's satire can be a little too biting or unfair sometimes).

The Benefactor
The Benefactor

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 2 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Benefactor (Kindle Edition)
This book was an easy read; it was easy to get into the story and very enjoyable. As much as I kept trying to guess, it wasn't enough, I just had to find out what happened next. Everything that happens in the book is shocking but exciting. There are plenty of jaw-dropping moments. The Benefactor is a very modern tale that features problems that plague every family such as teenagers and social networking and the internet. The story features an everyday family with everyday problems but then their problems become so out of the ordinary and appalling that it left me constantly hoping that things will work out for them. Despite the fact that the father had left the family, his redeeming feature is that he would do anything to make things better and save their lives even if it means sacrificing his own. Scott Griffin's book is touching, smart and so brilliant, it shocks you right to the end. Hope this won't be the author's last book.

Olympic Game: The Story of The Great Dorando and The Great Pretender
Olympic Game: The Story of The Great Dorando and The Great Pretender

5.0 out of 5 stars Curiouser and curiouser!, 1 Aug. 2012
At the 2008 Olympics, I can briefly recall my parents telling me about the incident years ago with the man who collapsed before the finish line and I could not understand why he was a hero. I wasn't really interested in the Olympics as, for me, they were being held in a faraway country with athletes about whom I knew very little, but since they are being held in Great Britain this year I have become more and more interested in these events and why they have been bringing people together. I was then recommended this book by a friend and I now understand why Dorando Pietri's story is so influential and why the games are so important today. What I like about this book is that Bryant tells us the whole story; it's not just about Dorando's determination to succeed but also about a desperate man's hunger to be part of something big and something that affects people the world over. The London 2012 Olympics really are an event not to be missed, just like this book!

Raffles: The Gentleman Thief
Raffles: The Gentleman Thief

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value. Great writing. Ok twist., 29 July 2012
Great value for 99p. I guessed the twist, but couldn't help but be impressed by the quality of the writing and dialogue in general. Raffles is super cool, Bunny endearing and witty within his own right. The author captures the cold but brilliant Holmes well too. Not sure if Holmes will feature in other stories though. A must for readers who enjoy a dry sense of humour. Will download Raffles: The Complete Innings.

Lords of the Olympics
Lords of the Olympics

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lesson from the Past, 28 July 2012
It was really encouraging to read about the way in which so many people both from Britain and abroad banded together to help fund our first Olympics. Bryant opens a door to the past to show us how the games we know today got started and how sport really did bring nations together. If only we could take a leaf out of their book and more people could be excited about this unique worldwide event rather than worrying about money and politics, we could all enjoy the games a little more. With his matter-of-fact writing style, Bryant encourages us to do exactly that. A must-read for anyone, whether in support of the Olympics or not; if you haven't already found it, this book gives us something to aspire to. We should look to the past for inspiration for the future.

Augustus: Son of Rome
Augustus: Son of Rome

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Readable., 24 July 2012
A literate and literary historical novel that puts character and history in the foreground. I learned a lot about the period and the two Caesars of Julius and Augustus. If you're looking for just action and adventure then would recommend Simon Scarrow, but this excellent book straddles genres. That said, the final battle (ambush) grips because we care so much about the characters involved.