Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Imagination Quelf
Imagination Quelf

5.0 out of 5 stars Craziest game I have come across, 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Imagination Quelf (Toy)
If you are a bit crazy and enjoy doing crazy things that you just would not think to do otherwise, this is the game for you. This game is for ages 8+ and whilst I haven't found anything really inappropriate, this is probably better enjoyed by older people. Alcohol is not necessary to enjoy this game (I'm teetotal and managed just fine), though I've had many friends who have become visibly more relaxed after having a drink in them.

The idea is relatively simple - you have a playing piece, you roll a dice, you move onto a coloured square and you pick up a card corresponding to that colour. There are some 'calmer' ones, which allow you to answer general knowledge questions and think of as many things as you can relating to a particular subject (e.g. 'common excuses for not handing in your homework'). However, there are other cards that make you do crazy things. "Roolz" are basically rules you have to follow (which can be personal to you or a whole group thing) and can be as simple as avoiding to knock other players' pieces to having to talk with your thumbs in your mouth. Other cards invite you to do impressions, sing silly songs or do stunts such as doing an Irish jig whilst singing children's nursery rhymes whilst trying not to laugh. Incompleted tasks mean you have to take penalties (usually taking steps back on the board so it takes you longer to go round the board).

It's recommended you keep some paper, pens and some tissues to hand. Even if you don't need the tissues for a task, you may need them to wipe away tears of laughter. Also be prepared for the fact that some tasks involve water. Though the board is quite small and there's only about 30 squares, you may want to reserve a few hours to complete this game as you will probably spend a few minutes between each person's go just trying to stop laughing.

An absolutely fun game that I recommend to those who are up for something different and enjoy making fools out of themselves.

Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Offered by Cards Against Humanity, LLC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides many laughs amongst good friends, 28 Jun. 2015
This is such a great game to have with a group of adults during an evening. I would suggest setting aside a couple of hours, because you could in theory keep going on and on. The concept is so simple - someone picks a card on their turn with a sentence with one or more missing words/phrases, while everyone has cards in their hands with potential answers and whoever is deemed to have the funniest answer wins that round. But it really is interesting to see how people's minds work, even if you can be pragmatic about it and realise it is just a game. This is best played with people who are open-minded and not easily offended, as some of the card's answers can be deemed quite offensive. That said, even some of the supposed 'duds' can be really interesting if matched to a good question. This game also comes with expansion packs (purchased separately) so you are not really limited on the number of scenarios you can have.

This is light-hearted fun provided you don't take it seriously, though it can be something of a competition to see who has got the sickest mind. If my group of friends is anything to go by, it will probably be the shy one who normally acts all innocent and appalled at any other time...

American Pie (Ultimate Edition) [1999] [DVD]
American Pie (Ultimate Edition) [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Biggs
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud comedy, 23 Jun. 2015
This is a film that I can watch over and over again and find it as funny as I did the first time I saw it. Yes, it is a film about teenagers, but most of us can remember what we were like at their age. It's laugh out loud funny and the best character for me was Jimmy's dad - you can't beat an embarrassing dad. But it is, in its own way, heartwarming and the main characters, despite their intentions, come across as decent. If you don't mind sex-related humour, then this is highly recommended.

Witch Hunters Stolen Beauty (PC CD)
Witch Hunters Stolen Beauty (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good challenge without being frustrating, 20 Jun. 2015
I like these types of games - I have something of a collection of them now. Plenty of decent hidden object scenes and puzzles - challenging without being frustrating (just how I like them!) The story behind the mystery is a good one. The graphics are OK, although I didn't feel that the transitions between scenes was particularly smooth. If you are familiar with Big Fish Games' format when it comes to layout, finding the inventory etc, then everything is where you would expect it to be. You do not get a diary of notes though, and I felt this game could have done with one. There is a hint function if you require it. There is also a link to the strategy guide via the main menu, but you need to connect to the Internet to access it, so by the time you've read it, you might as well have looked round everywhere you've been and clicked on the hint function a few times. There is no map and there is a lot of going backwards and forwards, but to be fair, this is not unique to this particular game. The game is relatively straight forward but there are plenty of things to solve so the game still takes a fair amount of time. All in all, a decent addition to my hidden games collection and one I am likely to play again.

The Other Woman [DVD]
The Other Woman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth seeing, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Other Woman [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of those types of films I tend to take or leave, but this is one that I can see myself watching a fair few times. Carly (Cameron Diaz) is horrified to learn that her new boyfriend is married to Kate (Leslie Mann). The two woman form an unlikely friendship and also learn that they are both being cheated on with Amber (Kate Upton). They join forces to bring Kate's husband down. I thought that Diaz and Mann's characters went well together, but not so well with Upton's character, but I appreciate that the film was trying to show that it didn't really matter to Kate's husband as to the type of woman he dated. There are some cliches and it's also a bit predictable, although this does seem fairly original for a rom-com. But I did find it to be funny, light-hearted and easy to follow. I also love a film where people get their comeuppance. Debated as to whether to give this film three stars or four, eventually settling on four as I still found plenty to like about the film despite some misgivings. Worth a try if you want something for a quiet night in either on your own or with the girls.

Never Been Kissed [1999] [DVD]
Never Been Kissed [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable film which I can relate to, 16 Jun. 2015
This is one of those films that I wanted to see when it was first out all those years ago, as I would have been in the film's target audience back then. It only took me 15 years to get round to buying it and wondering why I had wanted to see this. I was not disappointed. Even though I am now well out of my teens (to put it politely), this is a film that I managed to enjoy and can see myself watching on many occasions. Drew Barrymore plays Josie, who is a young writer (in her mid-20s) looking to become a journalist. Her newspaper assign her undercover to act as a 17-year-old high school student to find out what high school students are into. Josie is reluctant as she only has painful memories of being in high school, having been the laughing stock. This is perhaps why this works as a film that is not exclusively for teenagers - many of us can relate to Josie's fears and hurt. Well, I know I do anyway. Barrymore is brilliant in this, and she is backed up by a great cast. It is a good rom-com where the romance is not overdone and though it is slightly predictable, it is very enjoyable and good for a night in.

Peter Kay Live - The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour [DVD] (2011)
Peter Kay Live - The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour [DVD] (2011)
Dvd ~ Peter Kay
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the missing lyrics section, 15 Jun. 2015
Like many other people, I am a bit annoyed that they cut out some of the best parts, like the misheard lyrics. In fact, that was the best part. I was aware of this before getting the DVD thanks to other reviewers, so I decided to buy the DVD some time down the line when it didn't cost as much. Given that I did see the tour live back in 2011, it is still nice to have something to show for it. It's still an OK show and I have watched it a couple of times. I am not sure if it's because I know there are missing parts, but some of it did not come across as funny on the small screen as it did live. I'm glad I have the DVD, as it goes nicely with my other Peter Kay DVDs, but not one of the comedy DVDs I get out on a regular basis

Peter Kay's Car Share - Series 1 [DVD]
Peter Kay's Car Share - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed during every episode, 15 Jun. 2015
This is a thoroughly enjoyable series, within the first few moments of the first episode I was laughing out loud. It is amazing how much humour can be found in an ordinary car commute between two people who know each other but perhaps not that well. John and Kayleigh work at the same supermarket and they are paired together when the supermarket makes workers car share to reduce issues with their car park at work. John is an assistant manager and is a happy singleton who likes the quiet and little hassle, whilst Kayleigh works on promotions and lives a somewhat chaotic lifestyle and makes John listen to Forever FM in the car, but they go well together. Every episode was enjoyable. Just shows that Peter Kay still has something about him.

Malice: Two Sisters (PC CD)
Malice: Two Sisters (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good while it lasted but perhaps a bit on the easy side, 6 Jun. 2015
I like hidden object games and decided to give this one a go. If you've played previous Black Lime Games, it has all the features you recognise. Not sure whether it is me getting used to the format or not, but this one seemed to be on the short side and, dare I say it, a bit easy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I did enjoy playing it while it lasted and there was a good balance between hidden object puzzles and other challenges. I liked the way you could combine objects from the inventory to make one object that would help with progress. There did seem to be a fair bit of going backwards and forwards between areas, but it was quite easy to work out what the objects that were collected were to be used for. If I remember rightly, this did not give an option of difficulty at the start of play, so those who like a strong challenge possibly won't get that from this game. But this is still a good addition to my hidden objects games collection and pleased I've played it.

Just one note on installing the game though - you will be asked to install a programme called 'OpenAl' as well as the main game. I wasn't familiar with this at first, but you do need to install it or else you won't get sound.

Driclor Solution Roll On Applicator 20ml
Driclor Solution Roll On Applicator 20ml
Offered by Medideals

5.0 out of 5 stars Given me my confidence back, 3 Jun. 2015
I am someone who had long suffered with heavy underarm sweating. Sweat pads would do the trick in keeping clothes dry but ultimately are expensive and don't really address the problem. I had tried other so-called maximum strength antiperspirants which would last for a while before losing their effect. I wasn't after a miracle cure for my sweating - I dance and exercise a fair bit so would expect it to happen sometimes but I wanted to walk into work without feeling like I had run a marathon. Having used this now for a few months, I can honestly say this has been a lifesaver.

The instructions are very clear about how to use the product and I recommend following this to a T. Especially the part about avoiding shaving shortly before applying; this product is very tingly (in a burning your skin kinda way) and this is made worse if applying to shaven skin as I found out the hard way. The set-up of the antiperspirant is a bit fiddly at first but once you've done one, then any subsequent roll-ons are easy to do. You apply last thing at night then use your normal deodorant after showering in the morning. This product says it can take two weeks to notice the improvements, but I noticed a major difference on Day 4 when I had dry sweat pads and dry underarms at 9pm. By the middle of the second week I had enough confidence to stop wearing my sweat pads during the day and now I feel free to wear all colours of clothing.

It is expensive, but it is specialist and I am very happy to pay it knowing that it works - the fact I am not spending a fortune on sweat pads offsets this cost anyway. I do wear sweat pads for dance classes simply because they make me feel fresher when getting up close and personal with people but it's great that Driclor means I can do this by choice rather than necessity. Besides we are talking once a week rather than a set of sweat pads a day (sometimes two if I was going out in the evening). It's great to feel like you're clean and that you no longer feel paranoid that there must be something wrong with your hygiene routine. You probably wouldn't want to do this for occasional sweating as it is something of a commitment, but for anyone who suffers day in / day out with sweating for no real reason, this is highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20