Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 885

Katie85 (Northamptonshire, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
IVSO Slim-Book Stand Cover Case for Acer Iconia A1-830 7.9-Inch Tablet - with Card Holder, Hand Strap and Stylus Loop (Black)
Offered by Gambolex

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet, 20 Oct 2014
Purchased this case as it said it was suitable for my new Acer Iconia A1-830 7.9 inch tablet and that has proved to be the case. It is a snug fit (if anything a bit too snug!) and the design of the case is such that it lines up with the camera, charger point, on/off switch etc are still visible and easy to get to. It also works as a stand, which I have found to be useful. The cover sticks nicely to the case (think it must be magnetic as there are no clips) when the tablet is not in use. It has good protection from all sides and this is just what I was after.

Fat Chance
Fat Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Fat Chance (Kindle Edition)
I love Nick Spalding's books and downloaded this without hesitation once it was released. I must admit it was slightly refreshing to read about some new characters from Spalding, but pleased that Zoe and Greg Milton are likeable and easy to relate to.

The story follows Zoe and Greg trying to lose weight for a radio competition as they have gained pounds over the years and have had struggles with their weights. They have been asked to keep diaries, so it is written in diary format from both Zoe's and Greg's perspectives - a format which worked well in the 'Love...' series and is a format I am fond of as I feel you get to understand the characters a bit better. It has plenty of funny moments but also plenty of moments where you can feel sympathetic towards them. It is very easy to pick up the story and not wish to put it down.

It is a heartwarming read, but speaking as someone who is trying to lose some weight (albeit not to the extent Zoe and Greg are trying to lose weight) it is inspiring and educational. Enjoyed every page and I highly recommend this to anyone who likes Nick Spalding's works or to anyone who wants something light and funny.

Shopaholic to the Stars
Shopaholic to the Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Very mixed feelings..., 30 Sep 2014
I labelled my review of 'Mini Shopaholic' a little while back as 'mixed feelings'. This is probably best described as 'very mixed feelings' - the truth is this is going to be one of the most difficult stories I have chosen to review. It was not bad as such, just that it seems so far away from the previous Shopaholics that I still love so much and because of the lofty expectations that the series (especially the first few books) has created, I came away feeling disappointed and empty.

My reading tastes have changed a fair bit between reading the previous Shopaholics many years ago and to reading this one. Nevertheless, when I found out about the seventh book in the series, I was like Becky and a new bag or pair of shoes - I had to have it. But once I had it, it turns out that it will probably be one of those books I will read once or twice unlike the earlier ones.

This book follows pretty much straight on from Mini Shopaholic, with Becky going to Hollywood to follow Luke's work. There was a fair bit going on in the story and it is easy to read a fair bit in one go. I was able to read this without getting bored or thinking 'when will this end?' But much of what made the Shopaholic series good and funny before is not there this time round. The scraps that Becky gets herself in now are not funny or endearing anymore. Before, Becky was a character who was a bit misguided - her heart was in the right place but her head was focused on shopping or fashion. Now she comes across as quite selfish with little regard for her husband, family and friends until near the end - being in Hollywood and trying to be famous would have magnified her bad traits but still...

What annoyed me most about this book - at the risk of spoiling things - is that unlike the previous books, this does not work as a stand-alone story. There is a cliffhanger and the ending did not make much sense before then. I came away thinking 'so was that it for this book then?' Although I had comfortably read this book in a few days and enjoyed the general storyline, I didn't like the direction that Becky's character appears to have been taken in and the fact there is no closure.

When the standards are so high and those expectations are not met, it is easy to criticise, even though I feel bad for doing so because the Shopaholic series has up until now been one of my favourite series. It gets a three star rating because the general idea behind the story was good and it was easy to follow, but it doesn't seem like the Shopaholic series that I first started reading about. Glad I have read it so I know what became of Becky, but will be reading the first books if I want a pick-me-up or a good laugh. A real shame knowing that it could have been so good.

Stealing Jenny
Stealing Jenny

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this in two days, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: Stealing Jenny (Kindle Edition)
This has all the right ingredients for a decent read - a good storyline, easy to follow, characters who can be related to on some level and a story with some surprises along the way. The synopsis in the product description does a good job of summarising the story without going overboard - it is a short read so anything I could add there is likely to be a spoiler. Despite the fact it is a short read (just over 200 pages), it gives a good background story to the characters and why Jenny wants so many children and why Denise desperately wants just one child. The only thing I felt with the characters is that they were a bit one-sided - Jenny and her husband Tom are a bit too nice whilst Denise is portrayed as all bad. But it is a compelling read that makes you want to carry on reading and find out what happens. I managed this in two days and enjoyed it. I have read some better stories from this genre but it makes for a good story if you want something easy and quick or as an introduction to the thriller/mystery genre. I got it when it was free as I was looking for something quick on this occasion and I got what I wanted. I like this type of story so would most likely have paid for it as well.

Emerge (A New Adult Romance, Evolve Series #1)
Emerge (A New Adult Romance, Evolve Series #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly impressive read, 14 Sep 2014
This is something of a coming-of-age story and a teenage romance and I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

Laney Walker is preparing to start college, away from her single dad and away from her two best friends Kaitlyn and Evan, the latter of which she has been friends with for over eight years and has only just discovered that she likes him in a romantic sense. Laney is a tomboy and relatively shy so when college commences, she ends her relationship with Evan as quickly as it starts although they agree to be friends. However, while Laney is away, she misses Evan but learns of some revelations involving him and also Kaitlyn, and also starts to settle in at college and make friends there. In particular, she finds herself attracted to Dane and she finds it difficult to be truthful to both Evan and Dane about what she wants. Although the love triangle element is a bit cliche, the story is told from the perspectives of Laney, Evan and Dane so you start to understand why Laney likes both of them and does not want to hurt either of them. I also saw something of the 18-19 year old me in Laney and maybe that was a reason why I liked this story so much despite it being the type of story I have, by and large, moved away from.

Without giving too much away, this ends on a cliffhanger which makes it clear that there is a second part and it makes me very tempted to download the rest of the series. I got this while it was free as I was not sure whether it would be my cup of tea but would be happy to pay for the rest of the series if I get the chance. I read this a couple of days as it was difficult to put down. I recommend this story.

Hanna [DVD]
Hanna [DVD]
Dvd ~ Saoirse Ronan

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to see and liked what I saw, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Hanna [DVD] (DVD)
This had been on my "want to see" list for some time, although I am not entirely sure why given that I am not a huge fan of action films. I finally decided to purchase the DVD and, by and large, enjoyed it and worked out why I wanted to see it. Although there is plenty of action, there is a lot of suspense and has an interesting back story. The fact that the film title is simply the lead character's name gives it an air of mystery.

I thought it did get off to a slowish start but once it got going, then it really got going. I thought the camera work did a great job in creating suspense and tension at the right times. I liked seeing Hanna try to adapt outside of her 'world' as it gave an idea of just how sheltered she had been and gave another side to her. I liked how there was a background story to this, so it was not all action. The cast were pretty good in this. Without giving too much away, I liked the fact that it all came full circle at the end.

An interesting film that I see myself watching from time to time. It is the sort of story that I like to read about and it was good to see something I would read on the small screen. For me, it was probably a good introduction into the action genre and appears to be original too.

Theme from Strictly Come Dancing
Theme from Strictly Come Dancing

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after, 8 Sep 2014
Admittedly, this was something of an impulse buy. I am a big fan of the show and hearing the theme tune to Strictly always perks me up. I decided to buy it in a moment of madness just before the 2014 launch show, but I have since decided to download it onto my phone and use it as my ringtone for the time being. Can't say I haven't had my money's worth that way! It's put me in a good mood for the new Strictly season ahead.

From The Wreckage
From The Wreckage

4.0 out of 5 stars Turned out to be a good read, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: From The Wreckage (Kindle Edition)
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this story given that it is, essentially, a story about a teenage romance. I downloaded it as it was free and I liked the idea of a character trying to rebuild their life after everything they knew falls apart - it would have been different from stories I have read previously.

It turns out that, despite the fact the central characters are 17 and gearing up for their final year of high school, it is a story about life too and I am sure many of us can relate to a time when our 'normal' disappeared pretty quickly and have had to go about finding a new 'normal'. Jules' life may have turned upside down quite drastically but at the same time, it is quite believable how she starts questioning her relationships with people. Jules is an easy character to like, she seems quite mature even before the storm hits, and she is backed up by good friends and a decent family.

Although it ends at a good point, there is more mileage for a sequel and I am tempted to download books 2 and 3 to see its real conclusion. This is a relatively short read, about 200 pages, but it is a compelling read so it does not take long to read at all. All in all, a good book and would suit anyone who likes a good romance story.

The One You Trust: Emma Holden Trilogy: Book Three
The One You Trust: Emma Holden Trilogy: Book Three

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting conclusion to this series, 4 Sep 2014
I had been waiting for the final part of the Emma Holden trilogy to come out and I was not disappointed with the end product. In fact, it was extremely difficult to put it down and when I had to put it down, I could not wait until I got the chance to pick it up again and I had a couple of late nights as each chapter just seemed to end on a cliffhanger that made me want to read more then and there.

I read the first two books about 18 months ago and I had worried that I would have trouble picking up the story again. However, I am of the opinion that if a book or series is really good then you will remember the gist of it without the need to re-read (not unless you want to of course). I had remembered the gist but thankfully, even the small things all came flooding back and it helped that Pilkington's writing style meant that he refreshed the events of the second book very early on without detracting from the new developments. The characters were just as I remembered them - it all felt like I had "come home" such was the familiarity.

I won't go into the ins and outs of the story as I will probably end up giving spoilers without meaning to, but I will say that like its two predecessors it is unpredictable, full of mystery, gets your brain thinking and yet it is not so far-fetched given Emma's occupation as an actress. There's plenty going on without being confusing and has a good balance between action and character issues.

It is a suspense story in its truest sense with plenty of twists and turns and it leaves you wanting more. I am sorry that it is over, but equally it was a fitting end and there is a sense of closure at the end. If you are not familiar with the Emma Holden trilogy, I would suggest you read 'The One You Love' and 'The One You Fear' first as you will have a better understanding of the characters and the events that take place. This was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what I was looking for.

Misisipi
Misisipi

2.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this but..., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Misisipi (Kindle Edition)
On the face of it, this book should have been "my thing". It came across in the product description as a dark thriller with strong lead characters I wanted to know more about - I love those types of stories. The synopsis in the product description was enticing - it was an easy decision to download this book onto my Kindle.

But it promised so much and yet was so difficult to like. The writing style was very disjointed, making it confusing to work out what was going on and even at times working out who was narrating or whether the story was being told in the past or present. There seemed to be some characters who appeared without explanation and seemed to disappear in a similar manner. I feel as if I did not particularly understand some of Julianna's or Scott's actions and for that reason, it became difficult to feel anything towards them, good or bad.

There were some elements of the story that I actually liked, during the (very few) parts I felt I had some sort of grip on the story. I liked the fact it was set around the time of Hurricane Katrina and I felt that came across well. I liked the fact the story was as dark as I had hoped for. But there were several times where I had to flick back to previous bits thinking "hang on a minute, how has this come into the story" or "wait, I don't understand why this is happening" and still not feeling particularly enlightened. I even came back to this product page to double-check the product description to get an idea of where the story was going. As a result, it took over a week to read this and I feel as if I finished the book for finishing's sake. I could not tell you how it ended, just that it was frankly all a bit too weird and it was a relief to finish.

I don't like giving low ratings to stories - it is someone's hard work after all. This book was not quite a one-star rating as I was able to find some positives but there were times where I did think about giving up. But there are plenty of dark mysteries on the market that are not confusing and give you great enjoyment from reading it if you are into this genre. But sorry, I just did not get this one at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20