Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Carrie
Carrie
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the film but still a good read, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
I got the book some time after seeing the film (original version). I have had the book for many years now, but still go back to it from time to time, even though I prefer the film. Once I got used to the writing style, I could follow it quite comfortably, even though it makes for sad and grim reading. In many ways, I can relate to Carrie so well and it was good to see her character develop as the story progressed and her talent became more powerful and ultimately destructive. It is dark and original, although I think most of us know the story so I won't do a synopsis like I do for many other book reviews. One thing that I felt was a slight let-down was the ending, think that could have been dealt with slightly differently, but even 40+ years after its original release, this story is still haunting and powerful. Prior to reading this the first time, I had not been a person who was happy to read books that involved graphic descriptions of blood and terror and now I am OK with reading other horror stories and I now call the thriller genre my favourite type of story, so I suppose I have a lot to thank this book for despite some misgivings, for showing me that it is OK to step out of my perceived comfort zone.

Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman (PC CD)
Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging hidden objects game, 1 Mar. 2015
I like hidden object games and I typically enjoy the ones from Black Lime Games. This particular game has a good back story, good graphics and plenty of decent challenges - complex enough to keep you on your toes but nothing that is so frustrating that makes you wonder why you are still playing the game. There were a couple of points in the game where I did wonder where it was going and I felt I wasn't making much progress but I suppose it is no fun if it's too easy. One thing I noticed with this game that I haven't noticed with any of the other games I have played (albeit I have only played about 5 of these games) is that there is not much of hint function - it only exists for the actual hidden object challenges, so if you play these games and like a nudge in the right direction every now and then, then you will be disappointed, although it is more of an achievement to work it out on your own. Well, it felt like an achievement to me anyway. Overall, quite enjoyable but not my favourite hidden objects game from the series

Stranger Child
Stranger Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker from Rachel Abbott, 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Stranger Child (Kindle Edition)
I have read all three of Rachel Abbott's other books and I really like Abbott's style of building things up and making you think you know it and it turns out that you are so far wrong. I had high expectations for 'Stranger Child' and made sure I started reading this at a point where I could get comfortable (well, as comfortable as you can get for reading a crime thriller!) and read a large chunk in one go because I had a feeling I wouldn't want to put it down.

Emma Joseph lives with her husband David and their young son Ollie. David has had to deal with the death of his first wife Caroline six years earlier and his then six year old daughter Natasha (Tasha) had disappeared from the accident scene, never to be seen again. So when a stranger enters Emma's home, she has no idea of how her family's lives will be turned upside down. Once again, we meet DCI Tom Douglas who has been assigned to the Joseph family's case. Douglas feels like a old friend now and the story's sub-plot involves him trying to establish what became of his brother Jack. Though Abbott's books are intended as stand-alone stories, the previous books (especially 'Sleep Tight') will help you understand Douglas's back story and character more if you have not already read them.

Although I have come to expect the unexpected from Abbott's books, somehow I still ended up surprised and amazed with the twists and turns and revelations. I forgot that I should never discount a character as a suspect in Abbott's books because the least likeliest person to commit a crime and even the person mentioned the least during the story somehow end up playing the biggest parts at the end. The end of each chapter made me want to read more then and there so that "large chunk I wanted to read in one go" turned out to be about half the book, with the other half read in the next sitting.

Another cracking read and would recommend to anyone who loves a good gritty crime thriller.

Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper (PC CD)
Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me occupied, 23 Feb. 2015
Another decent hidden objects game from Black Lime Games - it has decent challenges, plenty of hidden objects games and a decent mystery. I like the fact that this game comes with a map so you know where you are and where you need to go to! It has some interesting features (once you have got far enough into the game to activate them) and comes with a hint function should you need it, although I wasn't as reliant on it as I thought I might be. There were a couple of time where I wasn't really sure what I was doing or where I was meant to be, but otherwise enjoyable and it was good that I felt that I wanted to return to the game when I had to stop.

Philips EcoClassic Halogen Light Bulb - Dimmable (42 W E27), Warm White
Philips EcoClassic Halogen Light Bulb - Dimmable (42 W E27), Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I need, 22 Feb. 2015
I use these light bulbs from Philips as I have a set of light fixtures fitted to my walls in my living room and bedroom that need a small bulb fitting in them. I have found these to last for several months at a time, although I consider myself to be energy-conscious and don't leave lights on in rooms when I don't need them. I have two fixtures in each room and these give enough light to cover the whole room sufficiently, but they are not so useful when one bulb has died and I haven't got round to replacing it. However the fixtures I have are mostly enclosed - the light is exposed from the top of the fixture so they may be brighter in a different type of fixture. Overall, they are good enough for what I use them for and they are worth a go to see how they work for you.

The Great Unknown: Houdini's Castle (PC CD)
The Great Unknown: Houdini's Castle (PC CD)
Offered by Zartek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and interesting, 16 Feb. 2015
I really enjoyed this game and it was one that if I had to stop, I would look forward to playing again.I am not sure if this game was easier than a previous 'Black Lime Game' I played or whether I am now just used to the format, but this seemed easier to get the hang of, not so difficult to navigate but still provided some good challenges.

This hidden object game works like the others in this brand of games in that there are several hidden object games and challenges within a mystery, you pick up useful objects on the way and you have to match them up to places in order to progress. It has an inventory and a notebook to help you keep track of things, plus a hint function and tutorial if you get stuck. If you get really stuck, there is a strategy guide available, although you have to stop the game and access this via the Internet, so that gives you a great incentive not to rely on it. That said, I found that I did not need it for this game, everything flowed OK and it had plenty of interesting challenges.

I think this took me two days in total to finish this, but it was good whilst it lasted and will probably try it on expert level next time around.

Gone Girl [DVD] [2014]
Gone Girl [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Ben Affleck

5.0 out of 5 stars A difficult story that does the book justice, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Gone Girl [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I remember reading the book about a year ago and thinking that the book had overall been interesting but a bit weird. Nevertheless, I was curious enough to buy the film and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it throughout.

The film does stay quite true to the book (perhaps because the book's author Gillian Flynn is also responsible for the screenplay). Nick Dunne arrives home on his fifth wedding anniversary to find that his wife Amy is nowhere to be seen and that there have been signs of a struggle. There is a big media frenzy and public perception is that Nick killed his wife. Amy has integrated herself into the local community and because she is the star of the books 'Amazing Amy', her loss has a real impact. The first part of the film is told in flashbacks, through Amy's diary, so you learn that things have not been great between the couple since they moved to Missouri. The story is well-acted and well-directed, though I especially enjoyed Rosamund Pike as Amy Elliott-Dunne. Given how Amy's character evolves and that sometimes it is easier for that type of character to be conveyed in writing, Pike does bring the character of Amy to life. I seem to remember that the ending in the book was slightly predictable but a bit weird and whilst that it is still somewhat true, I did feel it came across a bit better on screen.

The story is a dark thriller and some parts make for uncomfortable viewing (though to be fair, it is not intended to be comfortable viewing). There are a couple of scenes of violence (one particularly strong), quite a few cases of very strong language and some nudity. I know the film is meant for adults, but we all have different tastes and opinions of what we can accept in a film and what we have more difficulty in finding acceptable so I'm putting it out there. Plus there are several scenes of flash photography, just in case that is enough to trigger anything off in those who suffer from epilepsy or are very sensitive to light.

This is a long film, nearly two and a half hours long, so given that and the nature of the film, this is going to be one film that I will have to be 'in the mood' to see again. But given how much I enjoyed it, I will certainly be looking to watch it again.

NOW That's What I Call A Party
NOW That's What I Call A Party

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best CD Now have done..., 25 Dec. 2014
This has something about it that makes me think this is just a rehash of previous 'party' CDs but with tracks from the last couple of years added to it to 'update' it. I don't want to sound like I am knocking the CD in general, because the tracks they have picked are still decent (although there are quite a few artists with more than one track) and will get me up on a dancefloor. In time, the likes of 'Moves Like Jagger' and 'I Gotta Feeling' will become the party classics that CD 3 on this collection is dedicated to. For a party with friends with similar music tastes and a similar age to me, this would be ideal, however for a party with all sorts, it needs more of the music on CD 3. I like party tracks and I like the Now CDs, but I can't help but feel this could have been so much more.

NOW That's What I Call The 90s
NOW That's What I Call The 90s

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't find a bad track on here, 25 Dec. 2014
It is unusual for me to give a compilation CD a five star rating because music tastes can be so subjective and it is difficult to get it 'right'. However, this CD has a good balance between the dance tracks and the ballads, the big anthems of the 90s and the underrated tracks and also has a good mix of early 90s/ mid 90s / late 90s. There are 61 tracks spread across 3 CDs. I can't find one bad track on here, or at least one track where I think "no, that should not have been on here." If you collect Now CDs or 90s CDs, you are bound to find these tracks elsewhere but these songs are at least 15 years old, it would be amazing if you couldn't find them on any other CD collection. I think there is also one decade of music that you look back on more fondly than the others and for me that's the 90s so this is one CD I can see getting played quite a bit.

Outnumbered - Complete Series 1-5 [DVD]
Outnumbered - Complete Series 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Skinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV series, 12 Dec. 2014
I got into 'Outnumbered' during the latter series and when I watched repeats on the telly, I wondered why I didn't see it before. I now have the box set (series 1-5) and I watch this a fair bit. The Brockmans are easy to like and relate to and the kids are amazing. I like the fact that this show is part-unscripted as it gives it a bit more of a 'real' feeling. Enjoyable and recommended to anyone who likes 'Outnumbered' and does not have any of the previous DVDs or to anyone who likes TV comedy with a bit of a difference.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 1:33 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20