Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 936

Katie85 (Northamptonshire, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philip's Street Atlas Northamptonshire (Philip's Street Atlases)
Philip's Street Atlas Northamptonshire (Philip's Street Atlases)
by VARIOUS

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing this as a local, 22 Nov 2014
I am of the opinion that, no matter how reliant you are with a sat-nav, you should have a street atlas of your local area. I have used other guides in my time, but the Philips guides work best for me as I travel quite a bit around the whole county and these are quite comprehensive. Most of the others are either Northampton/Wellingborough and Kettering/Corby so this saves me from buying more than one guide for the county. This is easy to use and the detail is quite clear (though some of the smaller roads can be a bit interesting to find and there is little-to-no overlap between pages). If I need to find somewhere in the county that I am not overly-familiar with, I use this book to help me find it. Suitable for keeping in and out the car. This has what I want from a street atlas.

Philip's Street Atlas Devon: Pocket Edition
Philip's Street Atlas Devon: Pocket Edition
by Philip's

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing this as a non-local, 22 Nov 2014
This gets a fair bit of use as I have family in Devon and end up doing a fair bit of travelling in the area when I am down there. This is easy to use, the colour codes are clear so you know what is what, and is quite comprehensive with listing everything such as industrial estates and schools. It's dug me out of a few holes in its time. My one gripe is that in the main pages, there is little-to-no overlap between pages so it can be interesting picking things up if you have to switch pages, but I have some other Philips guides and this seems typical of the guides in general.

I am reviewing this as a non-local but incidentally, I got a copy for my sister (who does live in Devon) just after she passed her driving test and I understand she found this to be something of a lifesaver when she was starting to find her way round.

The Love Punch [DVD]
The Love Punch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for a night in, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Love Punch [DVD] (DVD)
This has a very good cast and the storyline shows promise at first glance. Richard (Pierce Brosnan) and Kate (Emma Thompson) are divorced although they are still tied together financially. So when a new boss uses their nest-egg/pension fund to invest in expensive jewellery, they come together to get back what is theirs. The film takes them and their friends (played by Celia Imrie and Timothy Spall) abroad and they get up to all sorts of mayhem. It's a rom-com so it has some cliches typical of the genre and it has some slapstick moments, although these are not over-the-top. The storyline, it turns out, is not the strongest and is at times a bit unrealistic although the cast make this work. I am not in the right demographic to feel complete empathy with Richard and Kate although they are decent characters. Overall, it is a good film for a quiet night in, perhaps not one I see myself watching over and over or getting out to watch with a group of friends, but certainly good enough to watch when I want something light and uncomplicated.

Wedding Crashers - Uncorked [DVD]
Wedding Crashers - Uncorked [DVD]
Dvd ~ Owen Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and original, 14 Nov 2014
This is so funny and so easy to watch time and time again when I am in the mood for something that makes me laugh. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn crash weddings and set about crashing the biggest wedding of all. They do it to pick up girls but it becomes complicated when Wilson falls for a bridesmaid who is off limits and Vaughn finds himself getting involved with the sister who becomes too attached. It's funny yet really sweet as well in parts so you can see that the main characters have more than one side to them. There are a few standard rom-com cliches, but the storyline is different enough so you don't worry about how things will turn out. Wilson and Vaughn work well together and there is a great support cast, in particular Rachel McAdams and Isla Fisher. Highly enjoyable and recommended.

Monster In Law [DVD]
Monster In Law [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lopez

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and light-hearted film, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Monster In Law [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film when it came out at the cinema back in 2005 and liking it enough to buy the DVD some time later. I really like this film - it is funny with some sweet moments, is well-acted and has a believable storyline and I am sure some people out there can relate to well. Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda come to blows as Fonda learns that her precious son is going to marry Lopez and she cannot bear to let him go. The two central characters are both strong women so it makes for some big confrontations and funny moments as they try to get one-up on each other. There is a good support cast too. It is very enjoyable and a film I still watch and still get enjoyment out of.

Aico EI141RC Mains Ionisation Smoke Alarm with 9V Battery Back-up
Aico EI141RC Mains Ionisation Smoke Alarm with 9V Battery Back-up
Offered by MCD Electrical - Established 1993

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement smoke alarm, 14 Nov 2014
Purchased this hard-wired smoke alarm as a like-for-like replacement for one that was near the end of its life and showing the signs of old age. It comes as a whole unit - mounting plate, detector, back-up battery. It comes with instructions with how to install the whole set-up and to replace the detector. It is straight forward to replace and to test it to check it works - I personally did not replace this myself as it turns out I am not tall enough to reach my ceiling unless I fancied an accident with a step-ladder but I did witness my friend set it up for me and it took him about two minutes once he had read and understood the instructions. However, if you are in doubt about setting this yourself, do get a electrician in to look at it for you - it is never too expensive to ensure your home is protected in the event of a fire. Would I have purchased this particular make and model if I did not already have the fixings in place for this? Difficult to say, but a smoke alarm is a must for your home at the end of the day. It's good to have some peace of mind for the next 10 or so years (and some quiet from the new battery!)

50 First Dates [DVD] [2004]
50 First Dates [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Adam Sandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable and heartwarming, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: 50 First Dates [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
The general plot of this film is someone trying to make someone else fall in love with him every day and I have to say that I do find something to love in this film every time I see it. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore work well together in this and they are backed up by a great support cast. Henry first meets Lucy at a cafe and is surprised by how well they get on, considering that Henry is not after a relationship. But the next day, Lucy rebuffs him. It emerges that Lucy has severe short-term memory loss - she cannot remember anything that happened the day before, not helped by the fact that her protective father and brother have lived in a time warp by reliving the same day over and over again for Lucy's benefit. Henry sets about doing the seemingly-impossible - by trying to get involved in Lucy's life in the hope that she will eventually 'remember' him and have a relationship with Lucy. It is engaging, funny and tugs at a few heartstrings along the way. A great film to watch on a quiet night in.

Life As We Know It [DVD] [2010]
Life As We Know It [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Katherine Heigl

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and original, 12 Nov 2014
This is what I would call an original take on the rom-com genre - it is a funny and heartwarming story that is great to watch. Holly and Messer are brought together by their mutual friends and are the godparents to their friends' daughter Sophie. They have nothing else in common and when tragic circumstances mean that they become responsible for Sophie, they have to learn to get on as well as adjusting to their new lifestyle. There are some typical rom-com cliches along the way but the plot is different enough and the characters make this enjoyable. Worth seeing.

The Mysterious case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (PC DVD)
The Mysterious case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (PC DVD)
Offered by Unique_Item_Bazaar

3.0 out of 5 stars Passed the time away, 12 Nov 2014
Well, I wanted something to pass the time away, and this did the job. That said, it is one of the easiest games I have played. It is a hidden objects game, and it has 'bonus' challenges, although these vary from mixing colours, rearranging a puzzle to matching objects. The games can be interesting and can keep you interested for a sustained period. There is a hint function, although you find you don't really need it. However, you don't really feel you are solving a mystery - you are basically told to find this or do that. You don't really get to think much for yourself. At the risk of spoiling things, if you know the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, you sort of know how it will pan out anyway. I purchased this for about £2, which as an impulse buy and for something to do quickly, was worth paying for, but ultimately it is one of those games where once you've solved the mystery, that's it really. Might suit a younger person or someone who wants a gentle breakthrough into the hidden object games genre.

Uncle Buck [DVD]
Uncle Buck [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Candy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great John Candy film, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Uncle Buck [DVD] (DVD)
A film that I can watch over and over again and enjoy it every time. John Candy is brilliant as the title character, who has been asked to babysit his brother's three children whilst he and his wife visit her father who has been taken ill with a heart attack. Buck Russell is seen as a last choice as he leaves a bachelor lifestyle and has no idea how to run a home. Along the way, Buck is presented with many challenges - things that seem normal tasks to us seem to catch Buck off-guard but the way he deals with things is great. The children themselves present their own set of challenges. Miles and Maizy take to their crazy uncle quickly but are a handful, whilst 15-year-old Tia sees Buck as a source of embarrassment.

It is funny, but also heartwarming as you see Buck go on a journey discovering the joys of families and the other characters learn to accept Buck. I first saw this when I was about 12/13, I think I first saw a version on TV that was slightly edited to make it a bit more suitable for family viewing (the DVD itself is a 12 certificate) but it is a DVD I got for myself some time down the line. A great film.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20