Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 838

Katie85 (Northamptonshire, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Emerge (A New Adult Romance, Evolve Series #1)
Emerge (A New Adult Romance, Evolve Series #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly impressive read, 14 Sep 2014
This is something of a coming-of-age story and a teenage romance and I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it.

Laney Walker is preparing to start college, away from her single dad and away from her two best friends Kaitlyn and Evan, the latter of which she has been friends with for over eight years and has only just discovered that she likes him in a romantic sense. Laney is a tomboy and relatively shy so when college commences, she ends her relationship with Evan as quickly as it starts although they agree to be friends. However, while Laney is away, she misses Evan but learns of some revelations involving him and also Kaitlyn, and also starts to settle in at college and make friends there. In particular, she finds herself attracted to Dane and she finds it difficult to be truthful to both Evan and Dane about what she wants. Although the love triangle element is a bit cliche, the story is told from the perspectives of Laney, Evan and Dane so you start to understand why Laney likes both of them and does not want to hurt either of them. I also saw something of the 18-19 year old me in Laney and maybe that was a reason why I liked this story so much despite it being the type of story I have, by and large, moved away from.

Without giving too much away, this ends on a cliffhanger which makes it clear that there is a second part and it makes me very tempted to download the rest of the series. I got this while it was free as I was not sure whether it would be my cup of tea but would be happy to pay for the rest of the series if I get the chance. I read this a couple of days as it was difficult to put down. I recommend this story.

Hanna [DVD]
Hanna [DVD]
Dvd ~ Saoirse Ronan
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to see and liked what I saw, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Hanna [DVD] (DVD)
This had been on my "want to see" list for some time, although I am not entirely sure why given that I am not a huge fan of action films. I finally decided to purchase the DVD and, by and large, enjoyed it and worked out why I wanted to see it. Although there is plenty of action, there is a lot of suspense and has an interesting back story. The fact that the film title is simply the lead character's name gives it an air of mystery.

I thought it did get off to a slowish start but once it got going, then it really got going. I thought the camera work did a great job in creating suspense and tension at the right times. I liked seeing Hanna try to adapt outside of her 'world' as it gave an idea of just how sheltered she had been and gave another side to her. I liked how there was a background story to this, so it was not all action. The cast were pretty good in this. Without giving too much away, I liked the fact that it all came full circle at the end.

An interesting film that I see myself watching from time to time. It is the sort of story that I like to read about and it was good to see something I would read on the small screen. For me, it was probably a good introduction into the action genre and appears to be original too.

Theme from Strictly Come Dancing
Theme from Strictly Come Dancing

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was after, 8 Sep 2014
Admittedly, this was something of an impulse buy. I am a big fan of the show and hearing the theme tune to Strictly always perks me up. I decided to buy it in a moment of madness just before the 2014 launch show, but I have since decided to download it onto my phone and use it as my ringtone for the time being. Can't say I haven't had my money's worth that way! It's put me in a good mood for the new Strictly season ahead.

From The Wreckage
From The Wreckage

4.0 out of 5 stars Turned out to be a good read, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: From The Wreckage (Kindle Edition)
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this story given that it is, essentially, a story about a teenage romance. I downloaded it as it was free and I liked the idea of a character trying to rebuild their life after everything they knew falls apart - it would have been different from stories I have read previously.

It turns out that, despite the fact the central characters are 17 and gearing up for their final year of high school, it is a story about life too and I am sure many of us can relate to a time when our 'normal' disappeared pretty quickly and have had to go about finding a new 'normal'. Jules' life may have turned upside down quite drastically but at the same time, it is quite believable how she starts questioning her relationships with people. Jules is an easy character to like, she seems quite mature even before the storm hits, and she is backed up by good friends and a decent family.

Although it ends at a good point, there is more mileage for a sequel and I am tempted to download books 2 and 3 to see its real conclusion. This is a relatively short read, about 200 pages, but it is a compelling read so it does not take long to read at all. All in all, a good book and would suit anyone who likes a good romance story.

The One You Trust: Emma Holden Trilogy: Book Three
The One You Trust: Emma Holden Trilogy: Book Three

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting conclusion to this series, 4 Sep 2014
I had been waiting for the final part of the Emma Holden trilogy to come out and I was not disappointed with the end product. In fact, it was extremely difficult to put it down and when I had to put it down, I could not wait until I got the chance to pick it up again and I had a couple of late nights as each chapter just seemed to end on a cliffhanger that made me want to read more then and there.

I read the first two books about 18 months ago and I had worried that I would have trouble picking up the story again. However, I am of the opinion that if a book or series is really good then you will remember the gist of it without the need to re-read (not unless you want to of course). I had remembered the gist but thankfully, even the small things all came flooding back and it helped that Pilkington's writing style meant that he refreshed the events of the second book very early on without detracting from the new developments. The characters were just as I remembered them - it all felt like I had "come home" such was the familiarity.

I won't go into the ins and outs of the story as I will probably end up giving spoilers without meaning to, but I will say that like its two predecessors it is unpredictable, full of mystery, gets your brain thinking and yet it is not so far-fetched given Emma's occupation as an actress. There's plenty going on without being confusing and has a good balance between action and character issues.

It is a suspense story in its truest sense with plenty of twists and turns and it leaves you wanting more. I am sorry that it is over, but equally it was a fitting end and there is a sense of closure at the end. If you are not familiar with the Emma Holden trilogy, I would suggest you read 'The One You Love' and 'The One You Fear' first as you will have a better understanding of the characters and the events that take place. This was thoroughly enjoyable and was just what I was looking for.

Misisipi
Misisipi

2.0 out of 5 stars I so wanted to like this but..., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Misisipi (Kindle Edition)
On the face of it, this book should have been "my thing". It came across in the product description as a dark thriller with strong lead characters I wanted to know more about - I love those types of stories. The synopsis in the product description was enticing - it was an easy decision to download this book onto my Kindle.

But it promised so much and yet was so difficult to like. The writing style was very disjointed, making it confusing to work out what was going on and even at times working out who was narrating or whether the story was being told in the past or present. There seemed to be some characters who appeared without explanation and seemed to disappear in a similar manner. I feel as if I did not particularly understand some of Julianna's or Scott's actions and for that reason, it became difficult to feel anything towards them, good or bad.

There were some elements of the story that I actually liked, during the (very few) parts I felt I had some sort of grip on the story. I liked the fact it was set around the time of Hurricane Katrina and I felt that came across well. I liked the fact the story was as dark as I had hoped for. But there were several times where I had to flick back to previous bits thinking "hang on a minute, how has this come into the story" or "wait, I don't understand why this is happening" and still not feeling particularly enlightened. I even came back to this product page to double-check the product description to get an idea of where the story was going. As a result, it took over a week to read this and I feel as if I finished the book for finishing's sake. I could not tell you how it ended, just that it was frankly all a bit too weird and it was a relief to finish.

I don't like giving low ratings to stories - it is someone's hard work after all. This book was not quite a one-star rating as I was able to find some positives but there were times where I did think about giving up. But there are plenty of dark mysteries on the market that are not confusing and give you great enjoyment from reading it if you are into this genre. But sorry, I just did not get this one at all.

Johnny English [DVD] [2003]
Johnny English [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Rowan Atkinson
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Still makes me laugh, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Johnny English [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I don't normally go for the James Bond/secret agent type films, but I caught it on TV one time and ended up laughing throughout. Yes, it's silly at times, but it is supposed to be a spoof and Johnny English is basically a Mr Bean who speaks. I ended up getting the DVD and have watched it several times since and it still cracks me up. Suitable for everyone to watch, which is a nice bonus. Have since purchased Johnny English: Reborn as a result.

Dirty Dancing(20th Anniversary Two-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] (1987)
Dirty Dancing(20th Anniversary Two-Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] (1987)
Dvd ~ Patrick Swayze
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 26 Aug 2014
Would it be too corny to say that this film gives me 'the time of my life?' Possibly, but it is such an amazing film that I watch over and over again. I bought the 20th anniversary edition back in 2007 and it is a movie I fell in love with the first time I watched it and still enjoy it now. It is not only a story about dance but a story about love too and some of the scenes show that dance can be just as powerful as a form of communication as words can be. It has also brought iconic moments (Baby being lifted by Johnny in the final dance particularly springs to mind), some iconic catchphrases ('Nobody puts Baby in the corner.") and some iconic songs. I was too young to watch this originally back in 1987 but it quickly became one of my favourite films once I did get to see it. Five stars without hesitation.

Sure Women Maximum Protection Clean Scent Cream Anti-Perspirant Deodorant - 45 ml
Offered by Pharmacy Place

4.0 out of 5 stars It's working, shame about the price, 26 Aug 2014
I previously reviewed 'Confidence' and ended up getting 'Clean Scent' one time when 'Confidence' was not available. A lot of what I wrote on 'Confidence' still stands - it works best at night but can be reapplied in the morning, it has a good scent that lasts throughout the day (and the scent here is as described - clean!) and it seems OK to shave whilst using this product. I have noticed less problems with deodorant stains since using 'Clean Scent'. The only snag is the price - it is expensive for not much deodorant. At the moment, I am getting the best out of it by applying daily (at night and in the morning) so I tend to use it quickly. But these types of deodorants don't come cheap and it costs pretty much the same anywhere. If that's the price I have to pay to stop sweating, then that's the price I have to pay.

Going the Distance [DVD] [2010]
Going the Distance [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Offered by A2Z Entertains

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best rom-com I've seen, 21 Aug 2014
This had the makings to be a good film, as it has an original storyline, I like the rom-com genre and I tend to like films that Drew Barrymore is in. But it was not what I had hoped for.

Erin is a student journalist from California and working as an intern in New York. During her time she meets Garrett, and rather than end their holiday fling when Erin has to return home, they decide to give a long-distance relationship a shot. The storyline is good (if slightly predictable) and there are some funny moments although I think some of the language was unnecessary (I'm not easily offended, just that context is everything and some of it was out of the blue and uncalled for). Erin and Garrett are decent characters but I did not think much of the support cast.

I have seen it a few times, it's bearable but average. A shame.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20