Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days / Failure to Launch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kate Hudson
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Two great films, 19 May 2015
If you are into the rom-com genre, then this DVD set offers two great films in one set. Both films star Matthew McConaughey, and he is alongside Kate Hudson in "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and Sarah Jessica Parker in "Failure To Launch". A friend of mine bought me this as a gift, but I had not seen either film beforehand.

In "How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days", Andie is writing an article detailing how women manage to scare men away from relationships in just 10 days and is experimenting on poor Ben, who himself has been set up on a challenge to make a woman fall in love with him in 7 days. They can't both win, so it's a battle of wits. In "Failure To Launch" Tripp still lives at home much to his parents' horror and arrange an expert in Paula, who normally gets men to leave the nest by trying to transfer their attachments from their parents onto her. However Tripp is a challenge and Paula find herself falling for Tripp for real.

Both films are very funny and light-hearted whilst being somewhat original. They also have moments which made me close to weeping for them. I liked the main characters in both films and willed them to resolve their issues. I must admit I have a slight preference for "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days" as I prefer the storyline and is full of outrageous moments, but they are both great to stick on if I want to watch something that I know will cheer me up on a quiet night in by myself or as something to watch with girlfriends.

Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival Collector's Edition (PC DVD)
Mystery Case Files: Fate's Carnival Collector's Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenge and a half..., 10 May 2015
I love these types of games and decided to give this one a try. I understand this is sort of a sequel to 'Madame Fate' which I haven't played previously but I managed to get by without the back story.

In terms of a challenge and how long it takes to complete the game, you definitely get your money's worth. Lots of areas to explore within the carnival, lots of mini puzzles and items you need to work out where they need to go. If you take a look at a walk-through of the game, you will see it's split into 14 chapters, previous games under the Big Fish Games logo tend to be under 10 chapters, so there is a lot of game time with this. At times, some of the puzzles were a bit frustrating, but I suppose that it is part of the enjoyment - no fun if it's too easy. Also, you are given a cat to help you, this adds a new dimension as you don't sometimes realise that it's the cat you need to help you get an item rather than something in the inventory. There is a decent map, which highlights areas of interests and acts as a great transporter between areas. You can also collect other items such as pound notes and morphing objects, which provide a different sort of challenge.

This game has been rated as a 12, and in my opinion it is not suited to younger children anyway. There were a few moments that made me jump out of my seat and I'm not easily frightened, especially by a game. Plus with the general level of the challenges, a child could get easily frustrated.

Overall, it took me a while to get into it and like it, but once I did, it was difficult to stop playing. If you like these sorts of games, this will provide a great but fun challenge. Anyone new to the genre might find it better to try something else a go first (there's plenty of games out there) before moving on to this one. I do like the Big Fish Games and will be looking for my next fix in the near future.

Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven Collector's Edition (PC CD)
Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven Collector's Edition (PC CD)
Offered by filmrollen

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough game but good fun, 4 April 2015
I like hidden object games and have played many such games from Big Fish Games in the past. If you are familiar with these games, you will recognise the general layout as the inventory, hint option etc are where you would expect them to be. I liked the fact the game was split into three different stories (four if you include the bonus game) so that kept it interesting and intriguing. I felt there were not as many actual hidden object games as usual, but there are plenty of variety to the puzzles and the way certain objects matched up to others caught me by surprise at times. One thing I noticed though is that I noticed that the strategy guide was readily available, which should give some idea of the difficulty of the game - I have only noticed this in one other game I have played and that was also a toughie. I certainly did not rely on the strategy guide but it certainly dug me out of a few holes. In any case, you can't progress from one story to the next without having collected and used everything. If I felt I was making progress it was easy to carry on but equally when it got difficult it was easy to stop, go away for a bit and then come back with a clearer head. I did want to go back to it, which is a good sign. Overall, this is one of the more difficult games in the series but enjoyable, so if you like a challenge, go ahead!

Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne Novels Book 1)
Sleepyhead (Tom Thorne Novels Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story that kept me up at night (in a good way), 24 Mar. 2015
I got this book for free as part of an Amazon promotion, but this is the type of book I read and enjoy anyway. The product description does an excellent job of explaining the story without spoiling it. Storyline seems original enough and DI Tom Thorne was a character I eventually warmed to. It had plenty of twists and turns and had good tension in the right places. Given how the story was panning out, I was expecting a predictable ending and I was pleasantly surprised that it was anything but predictable. The ending particularly was gripping and once I got to near the end I just had to carry on reading to the end even though it gave me a late night. A dark but easy to follow crime story and I will be looking into more of the author's works at some point.

Love, Rosie [DVD]
Love, Rosie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lily Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to learn to appreciate the differences, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Love, Rosie [DVD] (DVD)
'Where Rainbows End' is one of my favourite books and I was curious to see how it would be turned into a film. It is a story about a boy and girl being friends all their lives and raises the question about whether boys and girls can just be friends. I knew there would be some significant changes because a 90 minute film is not going to be able to cover the many decades of drama/missed opportunities/funny moments that the book covers. In the end, aside from a bit at the start where Rosie and Alex are shown being introduced to each other at age 5, the film covers the age range of 18-30 and manages to squeeze in most of the major events from the book.

However, it still manages to devote time to incidents that were not in the book and the context in which some of the characters appeared (such as Rosie's best friend Ruby) were very different to the book, so that threw me a bit. There were some moments that made me chuckle and then there were some that I think I was meant to find funny but somehow didn't. One thing I did really like though was Lily Collins and Sam Claflin as Rosie and Alex respectively - I have not watched anything either of them have been in previously so had no preconceptions about them and I felt they brought two of my favourite characters from a story to life.

Part of me feels that this film could have been longer to cover more of the book, but I know it is intended as a light rom-com that is meant to be easy to watch at any time, so maybe it wouldn't work if it was much longer. However, despite some of my misgivings, it is a light heartwarming film that I can see growing on me and I can see myself watching it again if I want to read the book but feeling a bit lazy. Now that I know what I am expecting, it should be easier to accept and appreciate the differences.

Hidden Expedition (8): Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition (PC CD)
Hidden Expedition (8): Smithsonian Castle Collector's Edition (PC CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars My type of game, 16 Mar. 2015
I like these types of games and I found this one to be really interesting. It is produced by Big Fish Games, so if you have previously played similar games from Big Fish Games (such as those packaged as Black Lime Games) you will spot many similarities with how the screen is laid out and how to access the inventory etc.The mystery itself is relatively easy - if you pick up an object you can work out where it needs to go quite easily or work out what you are looking for, but it does take some time to solve it and the hidden object games and puzzles provide a challenge without being frustrating.

Special features to this game include collecting objects other than the main ones needed to complete the game (such as 'morphing' objects)., working towards achievements (such as 'complete a hidden objects game without making a mistake'), a hint function if you get really stuck and a map to help you navigate your way around. There is not a lot of moving backwards and forwards compared to other similar games - once you are completely finished in an area, you can't go back to it, so no need to search right back to the beginning looking for red herrings . However, once you have completed the game, there are some interesting extras, including playing the puzzles and hidden objects games you saw previously 'for fun' and a bonus game (an extension of the main game). If you do decide to collect achievements or special objects along the way, do not panic if you haven't done everything by the end of the main game because some of these can be done in the bonus game. The game also comes with different levels for all sorts of abilities or for those who enjoy a challenge.

Fantastic game that I see myself playing again.

Shattered Minds: Encore (PC CD)
Shattered Minds: Encore (PC CD)
Offered by Zartek UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but perhaps a bit too easy, 9 Mar. 2015
I like to play hidden object games and enjoyed this one like I have done the other ones from Black Lime Games. However, I felt this one was perhaps a bit too easy - I probably could have played this in under a couple of hours flat if I just played this and not stopped partway through. The graphics are good, the back story is decent. The hidden object games themselves, collecting objects and finding your way round is quite simple compared to most of these games. There is a map (hidden with the diary) so you can find your way round although the map is split into four sections and after you enter a new section, most of where you have been becomes obsolete. There is a hint function if you need it, but I think I only really used it to help find some of the objects in the hidden objects games (I don't have the best eyesight!). There are some decent challenges that you are faced with in order to progress or enter a new area, these can be complex and slightly time-consuming, but there wasn't much variety in these challenges - a lot of it is rotating and moving objects. The game was enjoyable and I felt I could go a large chunk in one go and feel I was making progress and I can see myself playing this on a move advanced level next time, but it is the easiest game of the series I have played so far.

Written in the Stars
Written in the Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A real 'What If...?' story, 7 Mar. 2015
This is the second book I have read from Ali Harris (after 'The First Last Kiss') and this is another beautiful read with a lead character who is stronger than she realises and comes across as so real.

It is April 2013 and Bea Bishop is preparing to marry Adam Hudson, whom she has been with for seven years but has never been able to commit until now. On walking down the aisle, Bea sees her first love Kieran at her wedding, the shock causes her to trip and in that moment, Bea is in two parallel universes - one in which she goes ahead with her marriage to Adam and one in which she abandons the wedding and ends her relationship with Adam. Both versions of Bea's life have their ups and downs, although one thing that is prominent throughout is that Bea has unresolved issues and feels unworthy of Adam's love and attention. She has a passion for gardening and in both versions you can see how much joy it gives her to tend to and design gardens and realising that she needs to do a gardening related job in order to be happy. I liked the other characters in the book too, but especially Adam and Bea's mother Loni, who are both her rocks even if Bea doesn't always see it.

I thought it was very brave of the author to tackle the issue of depression. This is something that is highlighted in the life of Runaway-Bride-Bea. I don't want to go into too many details as I will likely spoil things but speaking as someone who has suffered with depression since my teens, I related so well to the feelings of helplessness and incapable of making sound decisions, feeling unworthy and undeserving of other people's affections, feeling that trying to resolve the past will somehow make the future better but perhaps importantly, that feeling of trying to do things that make you happy and to try and stay that way. I should point out that I read this book during a good spell, but I could feel Bea's pain so well and I could see how she decides to do the things she does and how her actions seemed strange to those on the outside. The important thing is that the issue is done sensitively and doesn't make judgements.

This is a story that really makes you think 'what if...?' The story reconciles one year on, and there is something that feels right about the ending that has been picked. 'Written in the Stars' if you like. Like 'The First Last Kiss' this is a book that teaches you about life as well as love and is a beautiful if somewhat challenging read. Highly recommended.

Carrie
Carrie
by Stephen King

4.0 out of 5 stars Prefer the film but still a good read, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Carrie (Paperback)
I got the book some time after seeing the film (original version). I have had the book for many years now, but still go back to it from time to time, even though I prefer the film. Once I got used to the writing style, I could follow it quite comfortably, even though it makes for sad and grim reading. In many ways, I can relate to Carrie so well and it was good to see her character develop as the story progressed and her talent became more powerful and ultimately destructive. It is dark and original, although I think most of us know the story so I won't do a synopsis like I do for many other book reviews. One thing that I felt was a slight let-down was the ending, think that could have been dealt with slightly differently, but even 40+ years after its original release, this story is still haunting and powerful. Prior to reading this the first time, I had not been a person who was happy to read books that involved graphic descriptions of blood and terror and now I am OK with reading other horror stories and I now call the thriller genre my favourite type of story, so I suppose I have a lot to thank this book for despite some misgivings, for showing me that it is OK to step out of my perceived comfort zone.

Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman (PC CD)
Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging hidden objects game, 1 Mar. 2015
I like hidden object games and I typically enjoy the ones from Black Lime Games. This particular game has a good back story, good graphics and plenty of decent challenges - complex enough to keep you on your toes but nothing that is so frustrating that makes you wonder why you are still playing the game. There were a couple of points in the game where I did wonder where it was going and I felt I wasn't making much progress but I suppose it is no fun if it's too easy. One thing I noticed with this game that I haven't noticed with any of the other games I have played (albeit I have only played about 5 of these games) is that there is not much of hint function - it only exists for the actual hidden object challenges, so if you play these games and like a nudge in the right direction every now and then, then you will be disappointed, although it is more of an achievement to work it out on your own. Well, it felt like an achievement to me anyway. Overall, quite enjoyable but not my favourite hidden objects game from the series

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20