Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Outnumbered - Complete Series 1-5 [DVD]
Outnumbered - Complete Series 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Claire Skinner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV series, 12 Dec 2014
I got into 'Outnumbered' during the latter series and when I watched repeats on the telly, I wondered why I didn't see it before. I now have the box set (series 1-5) and I watch this a fair bit. The Brockmans are easy to like and relate to and the kids are amazing. I like the fact that this show is part-unscripted as it gives it a bit more of a 'real' feeling. Enjoyable and recommended to anyone who likes 'Outnumbered' and does not have any of the previous DVDs or to anyone who likes TV comedy with a bit of a difference.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 1:33 PM GMT

NOW That's What I Call Music! 89
NOW That's What I Call Music! 89

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to my huge Now collection, 12 Dec 2014
Well, the Now team have come up with a great chart CD just in time for Christmas yet again. I normally enjoy the Christmas ones and this is no different. There's plenty of recognisable tracks from the latter half of 2014 and this is getting a fair bit of airplay in my car at the moment. As usual, there are always tracks that I will play a lot more of than others and there are some that I didn't really know before now but will grow on me. I think there have been better Now CDs (most recently Now 88 and Now 86), but this certainly has enough on here to keep me going throughout the winter months. A great CD for anyone who collects Now CDs or for anyone who likes chart music.

Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1981]
Only Fools and Horses - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ David Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make comedy like this anymore..., 7 Dec 2014
I decided to treat myself as I love to see the repeats of Only Fools and Horses when they are on the telly and I decided to get the full set after having an evening of watching old comedies with friends and thinking 'they don't make shows like this anymore.' I am also someone who doesn't buy many TV box sets but I didn't exactly need my arm twisting to buy an Only Fools and Horses set.

In terms of presentation, they have really gone to town with this. There are 13 DVDs with two discs each (the cases seem to have been designed with 'The Complete Collection' in mind) and they are in a square box, so it looks great as a present for someone and it gives the option of keeping it all stored nicely.

As for the episodes themselves, I know there are some comments about the editing. This is something that is not hidden - the underside of the box (the side which lists the episodes) states that "for contractual reasons certain edits have been made." But to be honest, I am not someone who knows every episode line-for-line so it is not something that bothers me. I am also someone who was born after the first few series were originally aired and I have many friends of the same age who enjoy Only Fools and can only say good things about it.

I paid £30.00 for this and I think for what you get, this is good value. There will always be episodes that I will prefer to watch over some others, but it is great to be in a position to pick and choose, or even to watch them in sequence. I have already watched a fair bit of this collection, so it was money worth spending for so many hours of entertainment.

Meet The Fockers [DVD]
Meet The Fockers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars More fun with Greg Focker and co..., 4 Dec 2014
This review is from: Meet The Fockers [DVD] (DVD)
This is the sequel to 'Meet the Parents' and is full of funny moments and mishaps just like the first.

In 'Meet The Fockers', it is getting close to Greg and Pam's wedding, but the two sets of parents have yet to meet. The Fockers clash with the Byrnes as they are so different and they have to try and learn to cope with each other. Much of the humour comes from Greg being embarrassed by his family and also the introduction of the Byrnes' baby grandson has some interesting moments.

If I am honest, i prefer 'Meet The Parents' but this still has plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and is a film I am happy to watch now and again.

Dirty Dancing 2 - Havana Nights [DVD]
Dirty Dancing 2 - Havana Nights [DVD]
Dvd ~ Diego Luna
Offered by Jasuli

4.0 out of 5 stars Treat it as a different story from Dirty Dancing and it is enjoyable, 4 Dec 2014
I do enjoy this film - I don't go back to it again and again like I do the original Dirty Dancing but I do like to see every now and again.

The film is not a sequel, but rather a story that is loosely based on Dirty Dancing. This time, the story is set in 1950's Cuba during the conflict. Katey and her family have moved to Cuba. Her parents have a history of ballroom dancing and Katey has some interest. However, it is when she meets Javier and enters a dance contest that she finds that dance really comes alive. It is a decent film - the storyline and characters are different enough to stop drawing any comparisons plus I love dance films anyway as I always want to join in with the characters and that is a feeling I got from this film.

Patrick Swayze makes a cameo appearance and if he approved of this version, then who am I to argue?

Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Michael McIntyre Live 2009: Hello Wembley! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael McIntyre
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A laugh a minute, 30 Nov 2014
Even after getting this many years ago, I still manage to laugh throughout this DVD. I can get it out anytime I need cheering up knowing it will do the job. There is plenty of observational humour in this, which is what appeals to me. It is a laugh a minute. It is the strength of this DVD and his previous offering that convinced me to see 'Showtime' live and anyone who likes Micharel McIntyre will like this DVD. Highly recommended.

Michael McIntyre - Live & Laughing [DVD]
Michael McIntyre - Live & Laughing [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Mcintyre
Offered by Factory Shop Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem of a debut comedy DVD, 30 Nov 2014
I love to watch this over and over again. I remember a friend loaning me this DVD some years ago, saying "try it - you will find it funny." I don't often watch comedy shows and was initially reluctant to watch the DVD of someone who, at the time, I had barely heard of. Well, as soon as I had finished watching and the tears of laughter had finally subsided, I ordered a copy of it for myself. I think it was the fact that he could make everyday life seem so interesting and amusing is what got me and I couldn't stop laughing. Given how well he has done since and the fact I have seen his 'Showtime' tour live, I find it difficult to believe this was his first DVD.

The Big Bang Theory - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
The Big Bang Theory - Season 7 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki

5.0 out of 5 stars The bang is as big as ever.., 29 Nov 2014
This may be Season 7, but it is still as funny as ever and keeps going from strength to strength. The show and characters may have evolved but in many other ways it stays true to its roots, so the show stays fresh without losing anything. Every episode has laughs aplenty. There is more focus on the characters' relationships in this series but there are also episodes such as Sheldon questioning whether string theory is the right career path for him which reminds us of why this series is different from most of the other sit-coms out there. I have really come to care about the characters and I can't wait to find out what they get up to next and it has become easy to emphasise with them during the good and bad times. The characters all offer something different about them.

I rarely buy TV series on DVD, but The Big Bang Theory is one that I buy without hesitation and gets plenty of play. The beauty is that episodes are typically 20 minutes long so I can watch as much as I want (or get the chance to) at any time. I know that every time I play this, I will get a good laugh no matter which episode(s) I watch.

Philip's Street Atlas Northamptonshire (Philip's Street Atlases)
Philip's Street Atlas Northamptonshire (Philip's Street Atlases)
by VARIOUS

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing this as a local, 22 Nov 2014
I am of the opinion that, no matter how reliant you are with a sat-nav, you should have a street atlas of your local area. I have used other guides in my time, but the Philips guides work best for me as I travel quite a bit around the whole county and these are quite comprehensive. Most of the others are either Northampton/Wellingborough and Kettering/Corby so this saves me from buying more than one guide for the county. This is easy to use and the detail is quite clear (though some of the smaller roads can be a bit interesting to find and there is little-to-no overlap between pages). If I need to find somewhere in the county that I am not overly-familiar with, I use this book to help me find it. Suitable for keeping in and out the car. This has what I want from a street atlas.

Philip's Street Atlas Devon: Pocket Edition
Philip's Street Atlas Devon: Pocket Edition
by Philip's

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing this as a non-local, 22 Nov 2014
This gets a fair bit of use as I have family in Devon and end up doing a fair bit of travelling in the area when I am down there. This is easy to use, the colour codes are clear so you know what is what, and is quite comprehensive with listing everything such as industrial estates and schools. It's dug me out of a few holes in its time. My one gripe is that in the main pages, there is little-to-no overlap between pages so it can be interesting picking things up if you have to switch pages, but I have some other Philips guides and this seems typical of the guides in general.

I am reviewing this as a non-local but incidentally, I got a copy for my sister (who does live in Devon) just after she passed her driving test and I understand she found this to be something of a lifesaver when she was starting to find her way round.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20