Profile for Katie85 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I Let You Go
I Let You Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of surprises with this story, 25 July 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book - it is cleverly written, has plenty of shocking surprises, has a lead character who is stronger than she realises, and was a story that kept me up at night because I did not wish to put it down.

The synopsis in the product description does an excellent job of not giving much away and to be honest, anything I can add here is likely to be a spoiler. What I will say though is the story is effectively in two parts. In part one, you have the tragic accident in which Jenna Gray ends up moving from Bristol to Wales to try and restore her life back in order and the police investigation into the accident. The first big twist comes at the end of part one and there are only subtle hints as to what is about to happen. Part two takes on a darker tone as more of Jenna's back story is revealed.

Even during the tough times, Jenna is a character I warmed to, as if somehow I knew that all was not as it seemed, although I still was not expecting the outcome that actually happened. The story's sub-plot involves DI Ray Stevens, who is investigating the accident Jenna is involved in and is having trouble balancing his career and home life. The book covers many difficult issues and I thought they were done well. The story has a good flow to it and despite the number of twists, it is easy to follow what's going on.

An great read that kept me guessing and made me want to read more whenever I had the opportunity. Definitely one to keep on my Kindle to read again at some point.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent storyline spoilt by poor characters, 23 July 2015
I managed to read this book in one day. Under normal circumstances, this would mean that I thoroughly enjoyed it, give this five stars and scream that you must read this until I'm blue in the face. But it's amazing how much you can read whilst waiting all day for an electrician to show up. Sorry, I digress, but the truth is whilst I found it to be a decent read, it was not one of these books where I was thinking "I must continue with this because I really want to know what happened next" and I did not feel much empathy with the characters.

Rachel Watson commutes to London every day for work. Her train normally stops at a traffic light near her old home where she lived with her now ex-husband. Four doors down are a couple whom Rachel names Jason and Jess who are often out in their garden and are visible from the train. Rachel has an unhealthy obsession with this couple - who moved in after Rachel left the area - and when she learns something about 'Jess', Rachel ends up getting in over her head with trying to work out what happened. It is later established that Rachel is an alcoholic, has been continuing her daily commute in order to hide the fact she was fired from her job some months earlier and has been pestering her ex-husband and his new family.

Now, I have no problem with reading about 'damaged' characters. Lets face it, most lead characters in books of this genre are trying to hide or escape from something. Most of these characters you are able to feel sympathy for and want to give them a hug. There are others who are so twisted that they manage to be repulsive and fascinating in equal measure. Rachel is neither of these. She comes across as whiny, intrusive, obsessive, attention-seeking and has little inclination to seek change or help. It is really only at the end where the full background into her character is revealed and by then, I think it's too late. I did not feel much about the other main characters either way, and in some ways that is worse than having a low opinion of the lead character.

The storyline itself is decent, it has a comfortable pace to it. It is not complicated, but has enough twists and turns to keep you on your toes. I just feel that the characters bring an otherwise good story down. Yes, I was able to read this in one day, but I feel that was more because I had the opportunity to do so rather than liking the story so much. This book was recommended to me by a couple of friends and with this being my kind of thing, it was an easy decision to buy this. I'm glad I've read it, but it's not one I'm going to be raving about to other friends.

Love...Among The Stars: Book 4 in the Love...Series (Love Series)
Love...Among The Stars: Book 4 in the Love...Series (Love Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars As funny as the other Love... books, 21 July 2015
I've had this on my Kindle for a couple of months but decided to wait until I went on holiday so I could spend some quality time reading it. Once I start a Love... book I find it extremely hard to put down. In fact, I read most of it on the flight to my holiday destination. I love Jamie and Laura, they feel like old friends now and their daughter Poppy is now the sort of age where she has her own personality so that brings even more fun.

In Love Among The Stars, which takes place four years after Love Under Different Skies, Jamie and Laura are successful authors and are trying to balance their new career with all the attention it brings and dealing with other personal issues. Just like the other books, it is laugh-out-loud humour and I just could not stop myself from laughing even though I was in a public area (I almost feel sorry for the two teenaged lads who had to sit next to me on the flight). You really have to wonder how these things can happen to one family, although there's nothing so outrageous that makes it feel unbelievable. Come to think of it, that's probably why it works so well - the things Jamie and Laura get up to could easily happen to you and Jamie and Laura are likeable and easy to relate to.

If you have not read any of the Love... books before, it is highly recommended that you do before reading this one, as there are several references to the previous three books. It has been a while since I have read them myself, but I like them so much, that all the references to the other books came flooding back pretty much instantly.

Another great read from Nick Spalding and look forward to book 5 in due course.

Imagination Quelf
Imagination Quelf

5.0 out of 5 stars Craziest game I have come across, 30 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Imagination Quelf (Toy)
If you are a bit crazy and enjoy doing crazy things that you just would not think to do otherwise, this is the game for you. This game is for ages 8+ and whilst I haven't found anything really inappropriate, this is probably better enjoyed by older people. Alcohol is not necessary to enjoy this game (I'm teetotal and managed just fine), though I've had many friends who have become visibly more relaxed after having a drink in them.

The idea is relatively simple - you have a playing piece, you roll a dice, you move onto a coloured square and you pick up a card corresponding to that colour. There are some 'calmer' ones, which allow you to answer general knowledge questions and think of as many things as you can relating to a particular subject (e.g. 'common excuses for not handing in your homework'). However, there are other cards that make you do crazy things. "Roolz" are basically rules you have to follow (which can be personal to you or a whole group thing) and can be as simple as avoiding to knock other players' pieces to having to talk with your thumbs in your mouth. Other cards invite you to do impressions, sing silly songs or do stunts such as doing an Irish jig whilst singing children's nursery rhymes whilst trying not to laugh. Incompleted tasks mean you have to take penalties (usually taking steps back on the board so it takes you longer to go round the board).

It's recommended you keep some paper, pens and some tissues to hand. Even if you don't need the tissues for a task, you may need them to wipe away tears of laughter. Also be prepared for the fact that some tasks involve water. Though the board is quite small and there's only about 30 squares, you may want to reserve a few hours to complete this game as you will probably spend a few minutes between each person's go just trying to stop laughing.

An absolutely fun game that I recommend to those who are up for something different and enjoy making fools out of themselves.

Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Cards Against Humanity: UK edition
Offered by Cards Against Humanity, LLC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provides many laughs amongst good friends, 28 Jun. 2015
This is such a great game to have with a group of adults during an evening. I would suggest setting aside a couple of hours, because you could in theory keep going on and on. The concept is so simple - someone picks a card on their turn with a sentence with one or more missing words/phrases, while everyone has cards in their hands with potential answers and whoever is deemed to have the funniest answer wins that round. But it really is interesting to see how people's minds work, even if you can be pragmatic about it and realise it is just a game. This is best played with people who are open-minded and not easily offended, as some of the card's answers can be deemed quite offensive. That said, even some of the supposed 'duds' can be really interesting if matched to a good question. This game also comes with expansion packs (purchased separately) so you are not really limited on the number of scenarios you can have.

This is light-hearted fun provided you don't take it seriously, though it can be something of a competition to see who has got the sickest mind. If my group of friends is anything to go by, it will probably be the shy one who normally acts all innocent and appalled at any other time...

American Pie (Ultimate Edition) [1999] [DVD]
American Pie (Ultimate Edition) [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Biggs
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud comedy, 23 Jun. 2015
This is a film that I can watch over and over again and find it as funny as I did the first time I saw it. Yes, it is a film about teenagers, but most of us can remember what we were like at their age. It's laugh out loud funny and the best character for me was Jimmy's dad - you can't beat an embarrassing dad. But it is, in its own way, heartwarming and the main characters, despite their intentions, come across as decent. If you don't mind sex-related humour, then this is highly recommended.

Witch Hunters Stolen Beauty (PC CD)
Witch Hunters Stolen Beauty (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good challenge without being frustrating, 20 Jun. 2015
I like these types of games - I have something of a collection of them now. Plenty of decent hidden object scenes and puzzles - challenging without being frustrating (just how I like them!) The story behind the mystery is a good one. The graphics are OK, although I didn't feel that the transitions between scenes was particularly smooth. If you are familiar with Big Fish Games' format when it comes to layout, finding the inventory etc, then everything is where you would expect it to be. You do not get a diary of notes though, and I felt this game could have done with one. There is a hint function if you require it. There is also a link to the strategy guide via the main menu, but you need to connect to the Internet to access it, so by the time you've read it, you might as well have looked round everywhere you've been and clicked on the hint function a few times. There is no map and there is a lot of going backwards and forwards, but to be fair, this is not unique to this particular game. The game is relatively straight forward but there are plenty of things to solve so the game still takes a fair amount of time. All in all, a decent addition to my hidden games collection and one I am likely to play again.

The Other Woman [DVD]
The Other Woman [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cameron Diaz

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth seeing, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Other Woman [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of those types of films I tend to take or leave, but this is one that I can see myself watching a fair few times. Carly (Cameron Diaz) is horrified to learn that her new boyfriend is married to Kate (Leslie Mann). The two woman form an unlikely friendship and also learn that they are both being cheated on with Amber (Kate Upton). They join forces to bring Kate's husband down. I thought that Diaz and Mann's characters went well together, but not so well with Upton's character, but I appreciate that the film was trying to show that it didn't really matter to Kate's husband as to the type of woman he dated. There are some cliches and it's also a bit predictable, although this does seem fairly original for a rom-com. But I did find it to be funny, light-hearted and easy to follow. I also love a film where people get their comeuppance. Debated as to whether to give this film three stars or four, eventually settling on four as I still found plenty to like about the film despite some misgivings. Worth a try if you want something for a quiet night in either on your own or with the girls.

Never Been Kissed [1999] [DVD]
Never Been Kissed [1999] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Drew Barrymore
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable film which I can relate to, 16 Jun. 2015
This is one of those films that I wanted to see when it was first out all those years ago, as I would have been in the film's target audience back then. It only took me 15 years to get round to buying it and wondering why I had wanted to see this. I was not disappointed. Even though I am now well out of my teens (to put it politely), this is a film that I managed to enjoy and can see myself watching on many occasions. Drew Barrymore plays Josie, who is a young writer (in her mid-20s) looking to become a journalist. Her newspaper assign her undercover to act as a 17-year-old high school student to find out what high school students are into. Josie is reluctant as she only has painful memories of being in high school, having been the laughing stock. This is perhaps why this works as a film that is not exclusively for teenagers - many of us can relate to Josie's fears and hurt. Well, I know I do anyway. Barrymore is brilliant in this, and she is backed up by a great cast. It is a good rom-com where the romance is not overdone and though it is slightly predictable, it is very enjoyable and good for a night in.

Peter Kay Live - The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour [DVD] (2011)
Peter Kay Live - The Tour That Didn't Tour Tour [DVD] (2011)
Dvd ~ Peter Kay

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the missing lyrics section, 15 Jun. 2015
Like many other people, I am a bit annoyed that they cut out some of the best parts, like the misheard lyrics. In fact, that was the best part. I was aware of this before getting the DVD thanks to other reviewers, so I decided to buy the DVD some time down the line when it didn't cost as much. Given that I did see the tour live back in 2011, it is still nice to have something to show for it. It's still an OK show and I have watched it a couple of times. I am not sure if it's because I know there are missing parts, but some of it did not come across as funny on the small screen as it did live. I'm glad I have the DVD, as it goes nicely with my other Peter Kay DVDs, but not one of the comedy DVDs I get out on a regular basis

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20