Profile for Stevelegh > Reviews

Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel
Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel
by Max Blumenthal

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable and factually reliable., 12 Dec 2013
Firstly, this book is factually correct. Even its honest critics have conceded this. The only people claiming otherwise are propagandists.

Very good book if the Israel / Palestine conflict interests you and if it doesn't, you should read it and get interested.

The great thing about this book is that the short chapters deal with one subject at a time. Much of the reason the I/P conflict is ignored is due to the apparent complexities of the subject. I believe this is purposely made so by those parties who want to turn people off of the subject so that the Israeli occupation and disappearing of the Palestinians from their homeland continues. Blumenthal handles this extremely well by the use of short chapters dealing with single issues without allowing himself to become sidetracked.

The other great thing about this book is that the structure makes it instantly 'dippable'. For anyone who's read on this subject, one came become acutely bored by some commentators and historians. This is not the fault of the authors, more the subject. Again Blumenthal's style means you can pick it up and absorb small doses. Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2014 6:59 PM GMT

Battle Studies
Battle Studies

2.0 out of 5 stars I actually feel cheated..........., 16 Nov 2009
This review is from: Battle Studies (Audio CD)
I love John Mayer. Actually, more than that, I think he's possibly one of the best singer songwriters and musicians around. His guitar playing stands up there with Clapton, SRV and Hendrix and the best thing is he's not really known in the UK, so I don't have to worry about all the 'bubblegum pop' references to his earlier work that turns a lot of Americans off. Guilt free cool guitar led music. Wonderful!

Mayer works with Pino Palladino and Steve Jordan too! How cool is that? (if you don't know who they are, Wiki them)

Mayer has capitalised on promotion of this album with social media such as Twitter and Facebook, and has posted some interesting videos on YouTube which seemed to suggest something..... well, different.

I didn't expect a ton of guitar based stuff as in Try! (his live album with the trio from 2005), but I did expect some great pop stuff and some more amazing guitar. There isn't any of anything really.

Crossroads is the obvious 'reference' track and at least one review here claimed it was disappointing. In many respects, it's the best track on a poor album. Somewhat a backhanded compliment though as it isn't very good at all. I thought the multitracked vocals were an interesting spin, but it was a bad redux of the famous live Winterland version by Cream. Had Mayer performed a note perfect reading of those two solos, I would have thought it 10 times better, but he just rambles on. A lot.

Not what I expected from Mayer, Jordan or Palladino. Like many, I have the wherewithal to fileshare, but opt not to as I feel I'm giving something back to the artist. I do feel that I should have waited to hear it first. I wouldn't have bought it. I won't return it Amazon as I've used it added it to my iTunes, but there really is nothing here I want to listen to. I feel I should have had a listen, even if it meant being naughty and downloading it illegally.

I imagine the next album will be a live compilation of the best performances from the upcoming Battle Studies tour as is Mayer's habit of putting out a live version of tracks from his last or upcoming album. That's fine as he does some interesting spins on his own material as well as some covers. He did a version of California Dreamin' on the Conan O'Brien show, which was a mash up with Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower. (I was expecting that to make this album), but I just can't see people wanting to go see this album being performed live, no matter how it's played.

Go back to the drawing board and come up with something good please.........

Rocket Number 9
Rocket Number 9

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting.....I like it!, 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: Rocket Number 9 (Audio CD)
As a harmonica player wanting some new inspiration, I've been going around YouTube recently, and found that there's a wealth of professional players offering tips and hints on how to play this deceptively difficult instrument.

There is a motivation behind this for the artists: Harmonica players aren't given the same kudos and accolades that some other 'masters' of their instrument are given. Think Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Eric Clapton etc. Being proficient in a few instruments aside from the harp, I realise that a lot of these more 'respected' artists do not need to work as hard with their instruments in regard to practice, maintenance, and the general oddness in note layout you see on the harmonica. In other words, if you want to be a rich, famous and lazy musician, don't pick up the harp.

This in mind, these guys are very interested to push their music out there and to engage their audiences, which is something quite contrary to other artists at the top of their game. Jason Ricci's motivation is very simple, he gives away lessons, advice and opinions in the hope that you will be inspired to see him live, buy an album or attend one of his seminars, which I think is a far more 'back to basics' and positive method of marketing than getting a deal and letting the record company throw money at airplay and promotion.

Being one who has benefitted immensely from Mr Ricci and others, I felt to buy this album as not only did I want to show my support, I wanted a further insight to Jason Ricci's style and what made him tick musically. On first listen, the one thing I didn't consider was the quality and musicianship of his bandmates, which I should have expected as they are playing with a virtuoso, but I like the fact that they are given a chance to shine and offer as much to the music itself as Jason.

Now, I'm not going to offer a track by track analysis as I've listened to it once and as a harp player, my opinions would be completely biased by whatever lick I was impressed with. Overall, a fine quality album with plenty of diversity. Being based in the UK, this is something we're not used to as we're all kind of 'one track' as far as musical tastes go, especially when listening to one album. The record companies see that and as a result, artists are generally 'pidgeonholed' into one style.

I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into this album from a technical point of view, but also for the opportunity to expose my tastes and my playing to new areas, which is something I don't do enough.

I giving this album a 4 as nothing on it make me want to skip to the next track although a 5 would be unfair as I'm not totally familiar with it yet. I may repost with a 5 later, maybe I'll repost and give it a lower score, but I doubt it. I usually buy 1 of 2 albums a year I can say this about.

Before anyone says it, yes this review is far less about the album and far more about Jason Ricci and New Blood. I think it's fair to say that so little music these days is sold on it's quality or on the talent of a particular artist but more on the persona or public image that the artist projects, so I can't feel guilty about my bias.

This review was written on the basis that I like what this artist is doing with his music, it's educational (for me at least) and it helps to expose me to different genres of music, I wouldn't ordinarily listen to. I like the artist too, don't get me wrong. He has the time to engage his public and that makes it all the more familiar and makes me want to support him.

Those points inspired me to buy this album and I'm glad I did.