Profile for Iolis > Reviews

Iolis

Honeyball & Bowers' Textbook on Employment Law
Honeyball & Bowers' Textbook on Employment Law
by Simon Honeyball

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Textbook for undergraduate and post-graduate students, 6 Sept. 2014
I found this, and the previous edition of Honeyball extremely useful tools both as an undergraduate LLB and postgraduate LLM student in employment law. The strong point of this work is that it has depth. I particularly like the way in which the authors summarise the main arguments of other academic writers and their copious cross referencing to academic articles and journals in the main body of the text allowing for further research. Each chapter contains a list of suggested reading. The authors have sought to maximise the space available by dispensing with footnotes, and referring to the case law by name and date only requiring the individual to access the case reference from the index which can be a tedious exercise. The language is clear, uncluttered and easy to read.

Among Friends: The Scots Guards 1956-1993: Scots Guards 1956-93
Among Friends: The Scots Guards 1956-1993: Scots Guards 1956-93

4.0 out of 5 stars A NOSTALGIC READ FOR THOSE WHO SERVED, 18 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book. It brought back memories of a childhood as an Army Brat moving from posting to posting with my father serving in Left Flank of the 2nd Battalion moving from posting to posting throughout his 22 years with the Battalion from Hubbelrath to Munster and reading names the author recalls who were the parents of childhood friends I have never seen since. The book is easy to read, it is more than just a dry account from the Regimental Diary of of both Battalions covering Field Troop Exercises and Public Duties, it is also an account, through the eyes of both Battalions of the role of the British Army during the small wars and emergency tours soldiers undertook during the drawdown from Empire and the Cold War, of restructuring and reorganisations as successive defence cuts began to whittle away the numerical strength of the Battalions of Infantry. The book has humour in its pages and warmth in its recollections.

Employment Law (CLP Legal Practice Guides)
Employment Law (CLP Legal Practice Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars A VERY USEFUL TOOL, 31 May 2014
I purchased this product in its current and previous edition, both as LLB and then LLM student. The authors have gone out of their way to elucidate with great clarity the main areas of law within the chapters. It is an easy book to read and to navigate and I would personally recommend it to any student.

DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac
DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac

1.0 out of 5 stars AN EXPENSIVE WASTE OF MONEY, 28 May 2014
This review is from: DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac (DVD-ROM)
The product does not perform as advertised.

The 4.4 version will not boot from your mac hard-drive running Mavericks. Neither will it boot from external hard-drives. Neither will emails to Alsoft support elicit any response.

You may as well take the money from your wallet and set fire to it.

I suspect that it worked quite well for previous editions of Mac Operating systems and received rave reviews from specialist magazines and users as a result. However, the manufacturer seems to have failed to adapt the product as the operating system it was designed for has evolved thus rendering the product useless for current versions of the OX10 operating system.

The lack of any response by Alsoft to legitimate inquiry or to provide a system update for the product is disappointing in the extreme.

I feel badly let down by both the product and the manufacturer.

Adobe Captivate 7: Beyond the Essentials
Adobe Captivate 7: Beyond the Essentials

3.0 out of 5 stars Now Obsolete, 24 May 2014
Bought the book just in time for the release of Captivate Version 8. Jettisoned the book in favour of a free upgrade from Adobe.

Sick as a Parrot!

Adobe Acrobat XI Classroom in a Book
Adobe Acrobat XI Classroom in a Book

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hugely Useful Learning Tool, 18 May 2014
I do not usually bother writing reviews at all but I thought this product deserved it. I thought I would take maximum advantage of my student discount before the window closed leaving me to pay 'silly money' for the Acrobat system. I chose this book purely at random. I downloaded the Kindle version of the book and reduced down'' both Acrobat and the 'e'book to accommodate the computer screen (27" Mac). This allowed me to simply 'click' on the book's links to download the learning packages and access other sites. Those with more than one computer might like to work on one and read from another. The book is well laid-out. Being rather older than most, I do not consider myself 'techno nerd', but I found the book very easy and straightforward to read and to follow. It allowed me to navigate into areas and to perform functions I never even knew existed and to create a variety of forms from 'scratch'. I would recommend this book for those who, like me, start as Adobe novices. I feel that I have received a good return for my money and would congratulate the author on producing an excellent piece of work.

Elements of Land Law
Elements of Land Law
by Kevin Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Elments of Land Law, 18 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Elements of Land Law (Paperback)
There are texts that will help you through an examination and there are texts that will, in addition, allow you the privilege of actually understanding and appreciating the complex interlocking elements which together, form the basis of English Land Law that will remain with you long after you leave the examination hall. This work acomplishes both. Although this edition is slightly wider than the previous four editions and does not sit easily on the shelf with them, one should not be put off by its size. It has, in common with previous editions, an extremely comprehensive index. Moreover, each section is cross-referenced allowing the reader to navigate easily throughout the book. It contains copious footnotes allowing the reader the opportunity of further research. Since land law overlaps with Equity and Trusts, and indeed, Family Law, it contains one of the best expositions I have yet read in any text on the subject proprietary estoppel and the informal acquisition of a beneficial interest in land, both areas of which cuts across the other subjects on the LL:B syllabus. For me, Gray has been a companion since the first edition. I would only hope that a work of this quality and value is not 'hijacked' by the major legal publishers, 'morphed' into a so-called 'practioner's manual' and priced well beyond the affordability range of the student market.