Profile for N. Grace > Reviews

Content by N. Grace

N. Grace "Nick Grace" (Birmingham UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the idle person, 23 Jan 2010
This item is perfect for the person wishing to gain the callouses for playing musical instruments on your fingers without all the hassle of practcing every day.

I have found them great because of my ilness, because I have been unable to keep up my practicing, and these have allowed me to keep the callouses ready for when I am recovered enough to start playing again.

H & L Russel Long Hanging Vacuum Bags, Set of 2, 145 x 70 cm (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality bags that do what they say, 23 Jan 2010
Once again, what more can I say about this item? They are excellent quality and do what they claim to do (so good that I have ordered more of them).

They arrive in a cadboard box, and once you have unpacked them, they are really easy to use for any items that you want to vacuum pack away, yet keep hanging up in the wardrobe.

WE1182A Adaptor 2.5mm stereo plug to 3.5mm stereo socket
WE1182A Adaptor 2.5mm stereo plug to 3.5mm stereo socket
Offered by UKDJ - DFB Sound & Light Warehouse Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 23 Jan 2010
What can I really say about this item? It does exactly what it is meant to do and appears to work well.

It was delivered quickly and everything was sorted out quickly and well.

The item works great and is value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little camera bag, 23 Jan 2010
I bought this camera bag to go with a digital camera that I had bought. It is an excellent, tiny, bag that is great for keping the camera in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always good to have a few spares, 23 Jan 2010
When buying a camcorder of this type, it is always a very good idea to carry around a couple of ready-charged spare batteries, in case you are just getting to a good part of what you are watching and your battery starts to die.

To me, this simply seemed like a sensible idea to have these spare batteries around when using the camcomcorder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for my needs, 23 Jan 2010
When this item was first attempted to be delivered, they only sent one delivery man to deliver it, expecting me and any friends that I had to help them to unload it. Unfortunately for them, I am a cripple (in a wheelchair) and a hermit (closest friend that could have helped was over 200 miles away). He seemed MOST disgruntled that I would / could not help him to deliver the item, so he had to take it away again, telling me to expect a phonecall from the company.

A couple of days later, 2 delivery men arrived and carried the item into my flat (even through that deep snow that we had), and I have to admit that I could see why the delivery man that was on his own refused to even attempt to deliver it on his own, as it weighs close to 200kgs in its packaging. However, all they could really do was to leave it just inside my doorway, as the rest of my flat was slightly blocked up with a food delivery that had arrived an hour or so beforehand and that I hadn't had a chance to put away properly yet.

When my cleaner arrived, just like most women, she INSISTED on opening the box and putting the treadmill up (instead of doing the cleaning work that I was meant to be paying her for, but I learned, years ago, never to try and interfere with a woman that has her mind set on opening up a "present" - even if it's not for her!). Although I say this in what may sound like a complaining way, I am incredibly grateful to her in doing so, as, as a cripple, I seriously doubt that I would have been able to do so alone.

I bought this product because I have been in a wheelchair, unable to walk properly, since 2007, due to nerve damage in my abdomen. The doctors could not do anything for this condition, as it's not something that can be fixed, so I am just meant to "live with it". So I bought this item to go along with my rowing machine and exercise bike and other exercise weights, to allow me to gain as much fitness that I can while still remaining a cripple. (To be honest, I had been inactive for so long that my legs were no longer strong enough to use the other exercise equipment properly, so they were just sitting there, seeming like statues, in my flat). But this treadmill, set on its minimal settings has allowed me to use my legs more than they have been used in years now. It allows me to stumble, fall (there is a "deadman's switch, which cuts power to the treadmill if you DO fall), or lean heavily on the arm bars to either side to help me stay upright. I know, in all honestly, that if I were in a professional gym, using their treadmill, they would have thrown me out after a few minutes, but I know that I HAVE to go through these bad periods on the treadmill if I am ever going to even stand a chance to use my legs again. Having the treadmill at home, in the privacy of my own home, allows me to fall over, without some "helpful person" calling an ambulance for me, and allows me to crawl on it, at snail's pace, for a while, or to stop and take pain relief before starting again. None of which I would be allowed to do if I were using a public treadmill.

This treadmill has been an absolute Godsend to me, allowing me to start to learn to walk again (although I have to more than a slight amount of embarrassment when I realised that I (the person who was always bragging about the fact that I had walked more than the circumference of the Earth at the equator - 1.7 times to be precise) was now becoming completely exhausted after walking less than 10 feet on the treadmill :( ). Without this piece of equipment, I had no chance of getting the exercise for my legs that I need in order to allow me make use of the other exercise equipment. However painful and exhausting using this treadmill maybe at present, I know that I need it, if I am ever to have anyhope of building up my legs enough so that I can then move on to the rowing machine, which then will allow me build up enough strength to use the exercise bike and then the other exercise equipment that I have to help to build up my strength and stamina again (my eventualy hope is to finally manage to use the brand new, expensive, all terrain, mountain bike that I bought (brand new) just a week before my body completely packed up on me and has only travelled a total of ONE MILE up until now!).

In my life, whenever I have been annoyed, frustrated, wanting to think about things, etc, I have always "gone for a walk", but being stuck in a wheelchair means that I have been unable to do that, and so my anger, frustration, etc, have built up all this time. Finally buying this treadmill has finally allowed me be able to, at least, get SOME of my frustration and anger out (I admit that the most common time that I use the treadmill is at about 2 - 3am when I can't sleep).

I was VERY lucky in managing to buy this item during a half-price sale, which allowed me to buy an extremely good quality treadmill for such a reasonable price (for which I believe that I was incredibly lucky).

One slight problem about the item is that there is meant to be a CD that comes with the treadmill, to allow you to take the data on your USBs and record and track your prgoress on your computer. I did not have this CD in my delivery, so I emailed them, asking where I could download the software, if possible, and they instantly emailed me back saying that they will be sending me a replacement CD in the post immediately.

I am really looking forward to this treadmill taking me all the way from not being able to walk at all, all the way up to using it as most other people would use it, and maybe jog or even run on it at some future point (probably WAY in the future for me!).

This really IS a wonderful quality treadmill and I would greatly recommend it to anyone that can possibly afford it.

The Jerle Shannara Trilogy (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara)
The Jerle Shannara Trilogy (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara)
by Terry Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another great trilogy from a great series of books!, 27 Dec 2009
I actually meant to order the Sword Of Shannara Omnibus originally and actually ordered The Heritage of Shannara Omnibus by mistake. I remembered reading the Shannara series when I was a child, and wanted to buy the original series (Sword of Shannara, etc) but messed up and ordered the Heritage by mistake. However, it was one of the best mistakes that I ever made, although a damn expensive one (as I'll explain in a moment), as it let me know about the sequels to the orginal series that weren't around when I first read the Shannara series.

The reason why I said that it's turned out to be an expensive mistake to make is that I have become addicted to the Shannara series again, forcing me (completely against my own will - ok maybe not, but I am sticking to my excuse here to explain why I've spent much more money than I orignal meant to) to buy the entire Shannara series, along with the Word and the Void series too (as, once you have read through most of the series, you begin to realise that the two series, although apparantly completely unrelated to begin with, are related after all - I won't say anymore, as I don't want to ruin the plot for anyone or to ruin the wonderful suprise of finding the link for yourself). Where I originally thought I was just buying a series of three books that were a great read when I was a kid, I have now ended up buying the entire series of 21 books in the Shannara and The Word and The Void series.

To give you an example of how good these books are (and I hope that I don't get into trouble for saying this, in case it is taken as an accusation of some kind when it is really just meant as a compliment about how good the books are), I am a disabled person, and require regular medication of morphine to control my pain. These books are SO good that I have not only lost several nights' sleep in trying to keep reading them, but I have even missed taking my medication of Morphine, and even not noticed the pain while reading them.

As I previously said, I started out just wanted to reread a great series of books from my childhood (the Sword of Shannara, the Elfstones of Shannara and the Wishsong of Shannara), ordered the Heritage by mistake and discovered a great sequel series in this omnibus edition that I hadn't been aware of (also much cheaper than buying them individually). This then led me on to discovering that there was a prequel to the Sword of Shannara series called "First King of Shannara", and then onto this "Voyage of Jerle Shannara" series and on to the rest of the Shannara books.

A further problem that I have discovered, apart from now becoming addicted to reading the entire Shannara and The Word and The Void series, is that people keep listening to how much I rave about how good these books are, and so they "borrow" my books, and I never see them again, so have to buy another copy to replace the "borrowed" copies. It seems to be becoming like a flu pandemic actually, with me as patient zero... I have infected a few friends with recommending the book to them and loaning them a copy (which I never get back), but those people then end up buying the rest of the series too, and then they rave about how good they are to other of their friends and "loan" them a copy (also never to be seen again), who, in turn, become infected themselves with the "Shannara bug" and continue the pandemic - buying the series themselves, recommending them to other friends, who then end up buying the series themselves, and so on...

The Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara is meant to continue directly on from the Heritage of Shannara series.

Whether read in order with the rest of the series, or read on it's own, it's still an amazing series to read. One of the greatest fantasy series ever written and, as I said earlier, extremely addictive and expensive as you end up becoming so addicted that you have to buy all the other Shannara books (plus you don't half annoy your postman with having them all delivered!).

Any fan of fanstasy fiction that doesn't enjoy the Shannara books is either mad, ill, or complstely lacking in imagination. I really cannot see why anyone could possibly find any fault in any of these books. They are not only worth the price of buying them individually, but with these omnibus editions, you can save yourself an absolute fortune (because, let's face it, you are going to end up buying them all one way or another anyway, so you may as well take advantage of the savings while you can).

Anyway, despite all my other waffle, the long and short of it is - buy this book! You'll regret it if you don't!

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy
by Terry Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely wonderful series!, 27 Dec 2009
I actually meant to order this book originally and actually ordered The Heritage of Shannara Omnibus by mistake. I remembered reading the Shannara series when I was a child, and wanted to buy the original series (Sword of Shannara, etc) but messed up and ordered the Heritage by mistake. However, it was one of the best mistakes that I ever made, although a damn expensive one (as I'll explain in a moment), as it let me know about the sequels to the orginal series that weren't around when I first read the Shannara series.

As I previously said, I started out just wanted to reread a great series of books from my childhood (the Sword of Shannara, the Elfstones of Shannara and the Wishsong of Shannara), ordered the Heritage by mistake and discovered a great sequel series in this omnibus edition that I hadn't been aware of (also much cheaper than buying them individually). This then led me on to discovering that there was a prequel to the Sword of Shannara series called "First King of Shannara", and then onto the "Voyage of Jerle Shannara" series and on to the rest of the Shannara books.

The Heritage Of Shannara is meant to continue directly on from the Sword of Shannara series, with the Druid Allanon once again disrupting the lives of the descendents of the Ohmsford family and leading them off to save the world again in another series of riveting and wonderful adventures against evil within the Four Lands.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2011 7:20 PM BST

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice belt, 21 Oct 2009
Not really quite sure what I can say other than the fact that it's a nice belt. It looks nice and it holds my trousers up (that's about all I really look for in a belt tbh).

I ended up buying three of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality guitar strap, 21 Oct 2009
I bought this strap because, like many guitarists, I am just too lazy to be bothered to hold up the guitar properly all the time. It's just nice to be able to wonder around with the guitar slung around you, ready for use when you need it, yet leaving both hands free.

I chose this particular strap because I had just bought a black accoustic guitar and a simple black strap seemed to match it (I'm not really one for the straps being flashier than the guitar).

It's strong, doesn't chafe and is great value for money.

Even if you are into strong designs on your guitar straps, it still doesn't hurt to have a simple "little black number" amongst your straps, just in case you need one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3