Profile for Kev > Reviews

Content by Kev

Kev

A Shroud of Night and Tears (Beyond the Wall Book 3)
A Shroud of Night and Tears (Beyond the Wall Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better., 5 Dec. 2015
3 books (so far) in the Beyond The Wall series and they just keep getting better and better. I like the characters and the universe they live in and I'm really looking forward to seeing them develop. Compelling story-telling, at it's finest.

I'd encourage any fan of Science Fiction to give these books a read. I doubt very much they'd be disappointed.

More please, Lucas.

The Heretic (Beyond the Wall Book 1)
The Heretic (Beyond the Wall Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive debut., 13 Oct. 2015
"Like a leaf on the wind". That single phrase leapt off the page and I knew then, that Mr Bale and I would get along just fine. The Heretic may, or may not, take place in the Firefly universe but there'll be Browncoats out there who believe it does. Either way, the authors' love of Firefly is writ large and I'm OK with that.

The Heretic barrels along at a cracking pace, never letting up from the first page 'til the last. For a debut novel, it's an absolute stormer and I can't wait to dive into Part 2.

The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel (Culture series Book 10)
The Hydrogen Sonata: A Culture Novel (Culture series Book 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Last of The Culture novels., 23 July 2013
If you've never read any of The Culture novels, then don't start here. You'll be doing yourself a great dis-service. Go back to Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games or Use of Weapons. Only then (assuming you like them) will you truly enjoy the last novel from Iain M Banks.

Being a long-term fan, I approached The Hydrogen Sonata with a mixture of anticipation and trepidation; would it be everything I'd come to expect from one of my favourite authors or would it be a bit of a let-down? Being the last Culture novel, I wanted it to be good. I wanted another Excession and I wasn't disappointed.

It's all there; the grand, sweeping, space-opera of old. The heroes and villains are beautifully written and, of course, there's the ships. For many fans, the ships "are" The Culture, their Minds the driving force behind The Culture's continued existence. Hugely powerful and with all the personality traits of their human charges, they're just....well, you have to read the books. The ship to ship banter alone can justify the cover price. And their names. If there was a book of just Culture Ship Names, I'd buy it. In the meantime, there's wikipedia.

I finished The Hydrogen Sonata with a mixture of satisfaction and sadness; satisfied that it was everything I hoped it would be and sad that there wouldn't be any more. And it underlines what a great loss to the genre that Iain's untimely death was.