Profile for confused > Reviews

The Dress Circle
The Dress Circle
by Laurie Graham

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful story, 27 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Dress Circle (Paperback)
I have just re-read this book. It reconfirmed my choice of it as one of my favourite books ever. It made me want to cry (again).

When Ba finds a receipt from a dress shop, and it's not hers, it is rather worse than she imagines.

The story of Bobs and Ba, Scouser and Mary, and how far we will go to accept the faults of our loved ones, in the face of prejudice and loss of reputation, is one of the most tender descriptions I have ever read of the strength of love.

It is also a timely reminder that other people have their own problems and we are not so interesting to others as we might think.

Sisterland
Sisterland
by Curtis Sittenfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sisterland (Hardcover)
I loved Prep and American Wife and now I love this book - I have only a few pages left to read, and I don't want to finish it!

Reminds me in some ways of one of my other favourite authors, Elinor Lipman.

The Small Hours
The Small Hours
by Susie Boyt

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Small Hours (Paperback)
I loved this book - I shall miss Harriet Mansfield now I have finished it - I could have read on and on about Harriet.

The thing that kept coming into my mind was the (wonderful) Miranda Harte as both herself and as her character in "Call the Midwife" - this is a compliment, by the way!

Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns
by Lauren Weisberger

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel to great book., 29 Jun. 2013
Don't listen to the naysayers. I loved "The Devil Wears Prada" all those years ago, and whilst not crazy about the intervening books, I loved this sequel, and I'm not even a big chick lit fan anymore.

One Day in May
One Day in May
by Catherine Alliott

3.0 out of 5 stars is it just me?, 3 April 2010
This review is from: One Day in May (Paperback)
Ok, maybe it's just me, but I was confused by this book - I was relly enjoying it until the last quarter, when the truth about Seffy comes out, and suddenly much of the earlier description of Letty discovering her and Dominic in his office, Hal sending her a letter saying "You Whore" and the engaging story of Hattie's adoption of Seffy in Croatia appears not to have been true. Now this works if the early part of the book was in the form of Hattie telling someone else the story and lying about it, but doesn't work if it is Hattie telling us, the readers, her story. I am prepared to be wrong about this if someone can explain it to me!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2011 11:02 AM BST