Profile for Soumitra D. BURMAN > Reviews

Content by Soumitra D. BURMAN

Soumitra D. BURMAN (Copenhagen)

Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
by Rick Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite the Journey, 23 Jun. 2010
The passion that Stein has for food is truly reflected in this book. The book is extremely well structured and it almost feels like you are part of the journey. Having lived and traveled extensively in Asia and being of Indian origin with a penchance to dabble in the kitchen, this is a must have book for the diversity and quality of the recipes presented from the far east - Bangladesh and Sri Lanka join the far east club!

I have tried a range of recipes especially those from the sub-continent and can say that the result is outstanding which gave me confidence to explore other regions in the book with good result. The range of ingredients in play is extensive but good Asian food normally requires the effort. If you are willing to perspire, the pay off is worthwhile. I have just ordered Stein's French Odyssey and and look forward to that journey.

India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy
India After Gandhi: The History of the World's Largest Democracy
by Ramachandra Guha

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye Opener, 3 May 2009
Growing up in the 70's in the political capital of India, a lot of questions about the Union of India remained unanswered. Most importantly how the idea of India was transformed into the union and what makes us tick as a nation given the diversity. This book is truly an eye opener and elements from ths book should be incorporated in the school history syllabi for the future generations to appreciate the journey we as a nation have travelled and to truly understand what we represent. Take my journey as an example: I went to a Catholic missionary boys school with all religions of the world represented in a class of 50 where religion as a subject only came up as part of curriculum. I felt prviliged to be exposed to this diversity resulting in an appreciation and tolerance which is sadly changing in todays India. I hope this book creates a discussion in what we as a nation truly stand for - great book and superb read.