Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

We Need To Talk About Kevin
We Need To Talk About Kevin

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Dec 2012
It's not often that I give a review five stars, but this book absolutely deserves it.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is written in the veiw point of Eva Khatchadourian, Kevin's mother, via a series of letters to her absent husband. The letters are frank, heartwrenching, thought provoking, and at times, taboo -- as Eva in no uncertain terms declares her hatred of her son, Kevin. But, do not be alarmed, you will not end up hating Eva.

Essentially, We Need To Talk About Kevin is a book about nature versus nurture -- are you born evil, or is it the way you are raised that turns a person evil -- and this is what Eva struggles with. Did her dislike of her son drive him to committing such a horrendous crime or was he pre-programmed to do such a thing?

I started this book thinking that a child isn't born evil, and now I am not so sure. I don't think it is all down to nature, but I do think nature may play a part in it.

What I also loved about this book was here was a woman admitting that she didn't have those maternal feelings, that urge to have a baby, and be a mum. Society drums into us that women must have that maternal urge to reproduce because if you don't then there must be something wrong with you. Not once did I ever think there was something wrong with Eva for not wanting a child.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is one of those books that you cannot put down. I read it in two days. It will pull at your heartstrings. It will have you questioning your beliefs. It will have you in tears. Most of all, it'll have you thinking about it long after you have read the last word...

Beautiful: A beautiful girl. An evil man. One inspiring true story of courage
Beautiful: A beautiful girl. An evil man. One inspiring true story of courage

5.0 out of 5 stars One word -- AMAZING, 6 Sep 2012
It's been a while since I have read such a beautifully written, truly inspirational and soul changing book. Beautiful by Katie Piper will have you thinking about how society views others, how you view yourself, how life is truly short and that you do not need to wait for "something to happen" before making a change in your life. Beautiful will teach you that no matter what life throws at you and how hopeless you may feel you WILL and CAN get through anything.

This book had me in tears -- and I am not normally one for crying while reading. All the while I was reading it (which I did in one sitting, I just could not put it down), I kept thinking to myself, "If Katie can get through this, then I can get through..."

Katie Piper is a true inspiration. She was beautiful before the attack and now she is absolutely stunning. Katie Piper will inspire you to change your life (if it needs changing!). She'll help you to realise that no matter how bad things may seem, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Most importantly she'll teach you that we not only need to be accepting of others, but we need to be accepting of ourselves.

Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it...

Ben Ainslie: Close to the Wind: Autobiography of Britain's Greatest Olympic Sailor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 11 Aug 2012
Ben Ainslie is a recent discovery to me (thanks to the Olympics) and I was intrigued to read about the man who has won 4 Olympic Gold medals. I wanted to learn about what makes him tick. How he gets his mind into "winning" mode, etc. I'm going to be honest, it didn't quite deliver. Aside from the questionable grammar, it's been written in a very haphazard sort of way, and by that I mean, it jumps around a lot without going into too much detail. I would have loved it if Ben had gone into a little more detail.

However, upon saying that, I still found it an enjoyable read. I'm not into sailing so do not be put off reading this book if you're not a sailor.

The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression

4.0 out of 5 stars A great tool in a writer's toolbox!, 15 July 2012
This book has been in constant use since I purchased it -- and I will not be afraid to admit it, I didn't think I would get that much use out of it. I am glad to have been proven wrong. This book forces you away from using cliches and gets you thinking aboout how to show emotion in your writing and adds deep POV to your writing. My critique partner has even recently commented that she has noticed my writer has become deeper and I owe that to this book.

Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)
Dragonfly In Amber: (Outlander 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story I Keep Returning To..., 15 July 2012
I have read this book (and the entire series) so many times I have lost count. I absolutely love the Jamie and Claire story and I love Diana Gabaldon -- I think she is a master story teller. No matter how many times I read the books I always find out new things I may have missed on previous reads, and it is only then that I realise what an intricate story DG has written. If you're not sure about reading this book then my advice is to READ IT. You will not be disappointed.

Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades Darker

1.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Shades of Rubbish, 23 Jun 2012
I was intrigued by the fuss this trilogy has been getting so I succumbed and bought the first book -- which I enjoyed. It wasn't brilliantly written, but it was OK, it occupied a rainy Sunday. So I bought the next one in the series. What can I say about the second book? Nothing good, unfortunately.

It was badly written. The characters are stunted and two dimensional -- I cannot stand Christian and his controlling ways, and Ana? Oh please! What woman would put up with such a guy who practically stalks you! I found I was skipping paragraphs (even pages at one point). There was spelling and grammar mistakes. Too many tags "he said/she said" there was no emotional punch to the story. The "plot", and I use that term loosly, is practically non-existant. The entire story/characters is contrived. And don't get me started on "he ran his hands through his hair" or "she chewed her lower lip".

I'm not sure why Fifty Shades is a trilogy -- I cannot see how a third book has come from this. The story should have started and ended with the first book -- unfortunately whatever redeeming qualities the first book has has now been destroyed by the 2nd appalling installment.

If you've already read the first book and now contemplating reading the 2nd one, please don't. You're going to be so dissappointed (if I wasn't reading it on my Kindle I would have thrown the thing across the room!).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 9:07 PM BST

Her Last Letter
Her Last Letter

1.0 out of 5 stars It had promise to be a great story but it did not deliver, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Her Last Letter (Kindle Edition)
I was wondering how this book managed to get published until I realised it is a Kindle Direct (self published).

The story had so much potential and would have lived up to the "blurb" on the "back cover" if only the author managed to get a grip on the plot, sub plots, point of view, emotional depth, characterisation, dialogue and so forth. The characters were two dimensional and had absolutely no emotional depth to them -- for example; there is a scene where she comes face to face with her sister's killer and it was, "OK, ho hum" -- there was abslutely no reaction. The plot was contrived and unbelievable.

If the author had concentrated on developing the main plot line and perhaps one or two subplots, developed her characters, develop good natural dialogue and added emotional punch then this story would have been a great read. As is it, it screams "first draft" version with everything being all over the place.