Profile for kevinwuk@hotmail.com > Reviews

Schindler's Ark
Schindler's Ark
by Thomas Keneally

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful., 16 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Schindler's Ark (Paperback)
This is actually one of my favourite films. Unfortunately, I had seen the film before I read this book which I always feel detracts somewhat from the emotional impact I get from reading. However, on actually reading the book I was surprised to find that none of the initial emotional spark discovered on watching the film had gone. On the contrary, Keneally's writing seemed to further intensify the vividness of the stories and events portrayed in the film. I actually felt that I was there, eavesdropping on conversations. I could see all the events unfolding before my eyes.
I have actually visited both the concentration camps in Auschwitz and the description that Keneally gives of them in his novel is quite remarkably. He seems to be able to convey the general feeling of melancholy surrounding them as well as their chilling visual impact. This is a true story and the way Keneally is able to piece together the feelings and anecdotes of the survivor's into one hermetically sealed book is quite remarkable.
This book was the first that I read concerning the holocaust and since then it has given me a vivacious appetite to find out more, look deeper into the accounts of the survivors. I would recommend this book to everyone. Very powerful.