Profile for Pete Abrams > Reviews

Content by Pete Abrams

Pete Abrams

Page: 1 | 2
Masterclass Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
Masterclass Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars It was great to go over some of the Total Spanish structure ..., 16 Oct. 2014
Michel Thomas had such a sensitive way of introducing and reinforcing "structure" (grammar). It was great to go over some of the Total Spanish structure at the beginning of this course and then to proceed in his inimitable painless way to some far more complex constructions, all the while enabling the listener to grow in confidence. I found Rose Lee-Haden's vocabulary tracks very challenging and struggled much of the time but realistically needed the shift in speed and vocabulary content. I would have no hesitation in recommending both Total Spanish and Perfect Spanish, the Michel Thomas way (Method).
I would make just one criticism. It must have been a disappointment to Michel that the final finish of the product was so poor. I had problems loading the end of some discs to my hard drive and the Review "Video" section was cramped, making it difficult to always pause before answering. Furthermore, for the first disc of the Vocabulary tracks several of the tracks that were printed in the booklet were not present on the disc. This didn't worry me unduly but it did say something about the production finish. In the printing of the booklet it would have been so easy to leave out those tracks not present on the discs, even if it meant re-printing.

Shostakovich: Piano Concertos Nos.1 & 2; Symphony No.9 (Virtuoso series)
Shostakovich: Piano Concertos Nos.1 & 2; Symphony No.9 (Virtuoso series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Most satisfactory, 21 May 2012
Initially looking for Shostakovich's beautiful 2nd piano concerto and in particular the second movement, of which this proved to be a fine recording, I was to learn so much more about the composer's amazing creative variety with examples from two extra compositions.

Albinoni Oboe Concertos + Concertos by Marcello & Vivaldi (Virtuoso series)
Albinoni Oboe Concertos + Concertos by Marcello & Vivaldi (Virtuoso series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 May 2012
The whole CD is a delight. Wonderful music on a beautiful instrument played by a great musician. It rates among my very best CDs. I am so glad to have found it browsing through Amazons selections, as a was looking for oboe concerti, especially by Albinoni.

Titanium Internet Security 2011, 1 User, 1 Year (PC)
Titanium Internet Security 2011, 1 User, 1 Year (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Trouble free security, 18 April 2012
While it seems a pity that there are those around who create the need for internet security, in all other respects I am very glad to have the Titanium Internet Security software on this computer. For the first time, after many years with more familiar names, I have a security system that keeps my computer completely free of viruses etc without the need, apparently, for building up more and more updates clogging up my hard drive and slowing down the computer. In the early stages with Titanium I had a lot of trouble, at different times, with computer crashes which I suspected to be the extra work load put on my relatively weak Celeron processor plus my operating system but from time to time I have re-installed the operating system and now have very little problem with the crashes; possibly no more than if the Titanium wasn't installed.

Dr. Martin Luther King - A Historical Perspective [DVD] [2005]
Dr. Martin Luther King - A Historical Perspective [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Tom Friedman
Offered by rsdvd

4.0 out of 5 stars A real hero, 18 April 2012
Anything about Dr. Martin Luther King has to be good in my opinion, and I did enjoy the CD. Needless to say any account about such a man has to be selective. Personally, I would have relished a greater amount of content about his theology, but I suppose such content is best found in his writings. I found no problem with the used CD or with the packaging or delivery.

Christoph Hartmann - Bella Napoli-OBOE CONCERTOS
Christoph Hartmann - Bella Napoli-OBOE CONCERTOS

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 18 April 2012
Having heard Hasse on Classic FM I simply chose any CD in which there was a composition by Hasse. I was pleasantly pleased and somewhat intrigued by the unusal selection of compostions by various composers. I was very pleased to have made the purchase and had no problem with the quality of the used CD, with the packing or with the delivery of the item.

The Pianist [2002] [DVD]
The Pianist [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrien Brody
Offered by MediaMine

1.0 out of 5 stars How can I rate it?, 18 April 2012
This review is from: The Pianist [2002] [DVD] (DVD)
My response to this review has to be brief and simple. I have not yet received "The Pianist", purchased on 9th March, over five weeks ago. I would hope there is a simple explanation but I guess that is all I can say.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2015 10:42 AM GMT

Canon PG510/ CL511 Ink Cartridges - Black/ Colour
Canon PG510/ CL511 Ink Cartridges - Black/ Colour

3.0 out of 5 stars expensive but necessary and effective, 7 Jan. 2012
The product, Canon PG10 and CL511 ink Twinpack, seems extremely expensive for such a small amount of liquid that is drunk up so quickly by my Canon printer. While the quality of print is, in my opinion, very satisfactory, I am considering buying a different brand printer for which the ink might last as long or longer than my previous printer.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Two Disc Theatrical Edition) [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars High art high praise, 28 May 2011
This has warmed my heart several times and will I'm sure do so again and again. It is a production of great art from a book of excellence. I could go on with superlatives but they have already been said many times over.

A War in Words
A War in Words
by Svetlana Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for a colleague at work since I had already my own copy, which I had been enjoying for its sense of authenticity., 28 May 2011
This review is from: A War in Words (Paperback)
I bought this for a colleague at work since I already owned a copy and had been enjoying the sense of authenticity of accounts.

Page: 1 | 2