Profile for Kenneth Vermeirsch > Reviews

Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass
Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass
by Merlin Blencowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge-packed., 28 Dec 2009
This book is just what is says. Not for the beginner, it delves right into the essence. It contains piles of valuable knowledge which does not come easily from other literature. The material is treated very much in-depth, revealing many aspects of seemingly simple building blocks which would normally take a lot of experience to figure out oneself. It is very practically-oriented but contains all the math needed for the reader to completely design a circuit on his own.

On the down side, I would have liked to see more information on overall tube preamp 'architecture', i.e. different arrangements of the discussed building blocks and their interplay. This is briefly touched upon in the chapter on coupling and in some other places, but I would have loved to see this in its separate chapter with the same level of detail as displayed by the rest of the book.

The book could do with another round of proofreading since some typos and grammatical errors remain. Finally I initially found the book to be a little pricey, though I suspect this is not unusual in a low-volume niche such as this, and after reading I feel it's definitely worth the money.

I give the book the maximum star rating because I am impressed by the sheer quality and depth of the information it contains. As far as I know this level is unique in the field of guitar (pre)amp design.