Profile for M. Dexter > Reviews

Content by M. Dexter

M. Dexter (Sheffield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Gaggia Descaler Decalcifier (250ml) Bottle for Espresso Coffee Machines
Gaggia Descaler Decalcifier (250ml) Bottle for Espresso Coffee Machines
Offered by Remote Central

4.0 out of 5 stars No more scale. What else to say?, 17 Aug 2011
Worked like a charm. Bit pricey, but my Gaggia machine now works flawlessly. The instructions are good, and it doesn't take too long.

LEGO Technic 8293: Power Functions Motor Set
LEGO Technic 8293: Power Functions Motor Set

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not what it *is*, but what it lets you *do* that's important., 17 Aug 2011
Ok, on it's own this is a pretty boring kit. You can't make anything with this set, but that's not the point of it.

This set however, allows you to augment your existing models, and add some motion to them. There are also LEDs, and a selection of useful gears (including a clutch, to stop you burning out the motor... it's the White one) and the regular motor (not the large motor), with a switch. I used this kit to add motion to the LEGO Technic 8265 Front Loader, but you really are only limited by your imagination. I think that this kit has excellent potential to aid a child's learning too- working out gearing and routing the wiring are great practical problems, and the fact that there are plenty of 'anchoring points' on the battery box, motor, switch, etc means that it will fit with any model you've made.

A great addition to your existing Lego- or bought with another kit.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cellar addition, 17 Aug 2011
I have a converted cellar in my Victorian terraced house, and while the cellar is relatively dry, I wanted to use the space as an office & therefore wanted to check that it would be dry enough to keep my computer down there. Computers and other IT equipment should be kept in a room of between 40-60% humidity, and since it's worth a fair few quid I wanted to make sure it'd be safe.

I bought this meter, and when used in conjunction with a dehumidifier the cellar is a constant 50% humidity. The meter also stores the high and low extremes of temperature and humidity- useful especially when using a dehumidifier. In short, this works perfectly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2014 10:22 PM GMT

LEGO Technic 8265 Front Loader
LEGO Technic 8265 Front Loader

4.0 out of 5 stars Great... but not the best!, 21 Jun 2011
This is a great Lego kit- there are some really nice touches, with the drivetrain, & steering good examples. However, the model comes without the power functions kit, and while it's useable it's no where near as much fun! Also, one reviewer has already pointed out the linear actuators found in this kit are a bit weedy. This is true, and oddly enough in other kits (like the LEGO Technic 8258 Crane Truck) the actuators seem fit for purpose. I'm going to try and replace the actuators with pneumatic parts from the 90's.

Apart from this small point, this model is wonderful and will undoubtably give lots of satisfaction.

LEGO Technic 8258 Crane Truck
LEGO Technic 8258 Crane Truck
Offered by LTD EDITION

5.0 out of 5 stars 8258 Crane Truck - Outstanding!, 21 Jun 2011
I have to say that I am really, really impressed!

I've had a few Technic sets from recent years, and this one is fantastic. The scale and detail of the truck is superb- the tipping cab to reveal the V8 motor is a really nice touch. The gearing is really well thought through, and the kit comes with the XL power functions motor, which means all of the motorised parts work incredibly smoothly. For instance, I also have the 8265 Digger, and the regular motor struggles a bit lifting the bucket under a load.

My one slight criticism is that the crane arm doesn't fold very smoothly at it's extremes. Also, the crane itself is not massively strong, and tips slightly when lifting a larger load. Both of these are minor points though- you really won't be disappointed by this set- it's a good length of time to build too, took me about 6 hours (and I loved every minute!).

Enjoy.

Stanley 077255 Intellisensor Stud Locator
Stanley 077255 Intellisensor Stud Locator

5.0 out of 5 stars Super stud finder, 4 Sep 2009
Excellent product- does exactly what it says it does, and does it well. The build quality is great, the screen is clear and the battery lasts.
Very pleased.

Sony Foldable Open Headphones MDR-710LP
Sony Foldable Open Headphones MDR-710LP

5.0 out of 5 stars Best folding headphones. No doubt., 4 Sep 2009
These are the best folding headphones I have ever used.

I bought my first pair in NY in 2005, and when I stupidly broke them I bought another pair- which I loved & used every day until they were nicked :-/ They fold in a really innovative way, and come with a really hardwearing carry case. The sound is punchy, with a great bass response from such small drivers. I used mine with an old iPod, my iPhone & even a mate's metal detector. Outstanding quality for £30.

There is one minor con though- when you first put them on, they can feel a bit uncomfortable due to the spring action on the top. This fades as the headphones are used though. For £30, you can't do better.

Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver
Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value B&D drill, 4 Sep 2009
I bought this drill shortly after moving in to a new flat, after realising that I couldn't keep borrowing my mate's DeWalt tools forever; I decided I needed a drill of my own. My brother has this drill, and although he uses proper air tools at the garage (he's a Mechanic) he uses this 18v B&D drill at home. I knew the drill was excellent, because the battery lasts ages, and even with wire brushes in to clean metal parts the drill performs well.

I purchased mine after reading lots of reviews, on other sites too, and have not been disappointed! Be aware that the drill doesn't come with a carry case (in fairness, the pictures didn't show any case when I purchased - obviously changed since the other user submitted their review). For £40 it's a steal, and as an Amazon Prime subscriber it arrived the next day, even though I'd ordered it mid-late afternoon!

Excellent product, with a good warranty, supplied by an excellent retailer. Top marks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2011 9:48 AM GMT