Profile for pixie freak > Reviews

pixie freak "donnalou1661"

The Absent Therapist
The Absent Therapist
by Will Eaves

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the best overheard conversations on the bus, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Absent Therapist (Paperback)
wonderful funny, sweet very short stories

Waiting for Sunrise
Waiting for Sunrise
by William Boyd

1.0 out of 5 stars read another Boyd, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Waiting for Sunrise (Paperback)
I've read many William Boyd novels over the years and enjoyed them but he can be a bit hit and miss. This is definitely the latter. There were a few good ideas here but they were not explored. The plot ambles around collecting superfluous and boring details. The writing and characterisation is lazy, and peppered with off the shelf phrases like a cut and paste project. The sections where he attempted to give an insight into how the first world war changed everything was ham fisted and clunky. It could have been so much better but it feels like Boyd wrote this in his sleep. A disappointment.

Veronika Decides to Die
Veronika Decides to Die
by Paulo Coelho

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer Clear, 5 Dec. 2011
This is possibly the worst book I have ever read. And as someone who has also recently read Twilight Eclipse there was stiff competition for this accolade.
I read this for book group and it is a stinker! Hilariously so! It is a vain, transparent, infantile, piece of inadequacy. The characters are one dimensional and universally unlikeable, the medical content is just plain incorrect, the shoe-horned in pointless sex was confusingly funny. A parade of ludicrous and secondhand twaddle dressed up as self help.
Worst bit? Hmmm, tricky but probably when author puts himself in the novel. I kid you not. The vanity!
I've changed my mind, don't steer clear, read it because it'll really make you laugh. Enjoy!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 11:44 AM BST

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Carson McCullers
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with the best, 5 Dec. 2011
Have just read this for my book group and am so glad it was suggested. It had been sitting on my bookshelf for 5 years, ripening...
This is a wonderful novel with a languid pace and language and rhythm that pulls you in. The characters are all yearning for some seemingly unattainable something which when you come down to it is simply love of one kind or another.
I will ponder and frown about Biff Brannon for a long time and will keep rooting for Mick.
It is worth the effort because once you're in, it isn't one. Just fantastic!

The History of Love
The History of Love
by Nicole Krauss

5.0 out of 5 stars not chick lit, 5 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The History of Love (Paperback)
this quirky novel is well worth a read, was given to me by m-i-l and was anticipating chick-littery. Absolutely not.
I really enjoyed this novel, it is sad and poignant without being over sentimental. I lent it all the ladies in my book group - a very scary audience - and all loved it.
Give it a try, it will not disappoint

Suttree (Picador Books)
Suttree (Picador Books)
by Cormac McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I've Probably Ever Read, 12 Feb. 2006
I have loved all the Cormac McCarthy books I've read but this is my favourite.
Like all his books this is a bleak, lonesome tale that inhabits you. Despite its elegaic sadness there is humour and a core human warmth. I read this book almost two years ago and I still miss the key characters.
I urge you to read this book!