Profile for Mary Newsome > Reviews

Calligraphy Studio
by Christopher Calderhead
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Calligraphy Studio (Paperback)
The book is well written and easily read. I have a love of art and history so the sections describing illumination and the creating of a book by hand has inspired me to couple it with my other passion which is family history.

33 Ways To Kill Pests Without Pesticides Kill Any Insect, Spider or Bug Fast With All Natural Pest Control Methods (Organic Pest Control Book 9)
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas, 9 Oct 2013
Some of the ideas put forward in this book I have come across before, however, other ideas are completely new to me. Non-toxic remedies have to be a good thing. I will certainly be putting them to the test.

Masterpieces of Illuminated Letters and Borders (Dover Pictorial Archive)
Masterpieces of Illuminated Letters and Borders (Dover Pictorial Archive)
by W.R. Tymms
Price: 13.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not that good., 9 Oct 2013
While the presentation quality was good I would have expected more examples and more indication as to the size of the originals. It was a good idea to group the illustrations by century though to show how styles change.

Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989]
Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy watching film, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Field of Dreams [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
This is one of my husband's all time favourite easy watching films. No doubt, in time, I will have to replace it if it ever wears out!

Battery, Photo Lithium 2cr5 6v
Battery, Photo Lithium 2cr5 6v
Offered by Premier Life Store
Price: 8.98

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 9 Oct 2013
It simply does the job for which it was designed and arrived exactly when I was told it would be.

A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary For the Use of Students
A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary For the Use of Students
Price: 2.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 9 Oct 2013
I was fascinated when I compared a lot of the ancient words to the modern. It is well laid out and would be a boon to anyone interested in early English history.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (PC/Mac)
Offered by Happy deals
Price: 56.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it and experiment, 28 April 2013
As a lady of advancing years, technology and I simply don't get on, and at first I found the program a little confusing. Having said that, by tinkering and experimenting with photographs that are of no real value to me, I am beginning to actually work it quite well. I would say to anyone like me, to stick with it, play with it and don't give up, and the skill will come with time. I have to say though that, for me at least, an included idiot proof user manual would have come in handy.

The Anglo Saxon Chronicle: A History of England From Roman Times to the Norman Conquest
by Anonymous
Price: 8.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Ancient history, 28 April 2013
Even though I like the translation I feel it would have benefitted from the inclusion of a small dictionary type section explaining certain archaic words and phrases. For example, gang-days.

Domesday Book: A Complete Translation (Penguin Classics)
Domesday Book: A Complete Translation (Penguin Classics)
by none
Price: 32.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well translated, 28 April 2013
A very interesting book which also contains excellent explanations for all the archaic wording involved for such things as measurement and peoples standing in society.

Introduction to Old English
Introduction to Old English
Price: 15.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out, 28 April 2013
I found the lessons engrossing, well thought out and overall, simple to understand. A very interesting book for someone who wishes to read and understand original works without having to rely on someone else's translation and gives a good feel for how the English language has evolved from those early days.

Page: 1 | 2