Profile for David Hoddell > Reviews

Content by David Hoddell

David Hoddell

The Cholestrol Myths: Exposing the Fallacy That Saturated Fat and Cholesterol Cause Heart Disease
by Uffe Ravnskov

5.0 out of 5 stars The other side of the Cholesterol debate, 12 Oct. 2004
Up until two years I believed that Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) was treatable illness that only killed people who were in certain high risk categories; i.e. people who ate lots of saturated fat, didn't excise, smoked etc etc etc - I think everybody has heard of these factors through one source or another. Two years ago my Dad died of a sudden Heart Attack at the age of 58, which stunned all of my family! It completely caught us unawares, because he didn't seem to be at risk at all. According to the heart disease risk factors he should have been fine, because he didn't fit into many of these categories; and most confusing of all he had a very low CHOLESTEROL level. This was the main thing that caught us all out, because we got sucked in by the misinformation that is continuously being pumped out by government bodies, health food producers and off course the drugs companies!!!
This started me looking for answers ... after a few web searches I came across this book.
Uffe Ravnskov definitely seems to be one of those rare people who can see past the hype and the pressure from his peers to accept the consensus. He has written a very comprehensive report re-analysing the CHD research over the last 50 years showing how most of it has very little link to Cholesterol and Saturated Fat. The problem with media and government advice is that it is usually one sided, they can't be seen to be confused, especially about something as big as CHD - but if the scientists are puzzled then shouldn't this advise be passed onto the public? A book like 'The Cholesterol Myths' attempts to even up this one sided debate, and I'd definitely recommend reading it just so that you - and not others with ulterior motives - can make up your own mind.

by Uffe Ravnskov