Profile for Viva_Viv > Reviews

Content by Viva_Viv

Viva_Viv

Page: 1 | 2
Twenty-Seven Years in Canada West The Experience of an Early Settler (Volume I)
Twenty-Seven Years in Canada West The Experience of an Early Settler (Volume I)

4.0 out of 5 stars insight into Canada's history, 24 Sept. 2014
An interesting memoir of an English settler's experiences in what is now ontario. Some of his writing is clearly intended for those considering settling Canada at the time, however there are still some fun stories and little details about life at this time that are great to learn about.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Felt no heating on application, then later painful burning., 26 Jan. 2014
I tried this out as it sounded relaxing. It states on the back that massaging it into feet creates a "pleasant warming" sensation of "pure relaxation." I rubbed it in and felt nothing - no warming at all. That was disappointing as I have cold feet and thought it might be nice, though I was a bit skeptical as to whether it would really feel warm or just feel like those muscle creams that say they warm your muslces (but really just make your skin feel like its hot).
I put on some socks so I wouldn't get cream on the floor. It smells alright and felt like a normal moisturiser. Hours later I wore the same socks in my boots and went to school, then the burning started. suddenly everywhere I'd put the cream started to feel hot and irritated. It got worse and worse and I started considering taking off my boots and socks during a lecture as it was starting to hurt, but I thought that would look pretty weird, so I just tried to ignore it. Eventually the sensation went away, but that was really surprising. Very strange that it had a long delayed reaction. Maybe it gets stronger over time, or I had an allergic reaction? I do have pretty sensitive skin.
Let this be a warning - be careful!

The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

2.0 out of 5 stars One person's experience - may not help others, 29 May 2013
I liked the idea of a book about happiness that is not aimed at the depressed, but more at generally happy people who would like ideas for getting even more out of life. Spending a year researching happiness gave me the impressions that this author might be someone with some depth, who wanted to go even further into what it means to be human. Instead, I found her rather superficial. She's an upper middle class mom, who starts the year pretty happy. At the end, she's not that much happier but has learned a few nicer habits for others around her. I'm glad she learned to be a bit more selfless, but she still comes across rather shallow. I was surprised that someone really educated who loved great literature seemed to lack much sensitivity for art, music, or delving into passionate emotions - things that many would link to happiness.
I found the book hard to get through, and ended up skipping most of her stories about her life because I found them boring and couldn't relate to them. I would just skim through her experiments to pick out a couple here or there that I thought I could try. Many of the ideas are commonsense, others just seemed materialistic, but there are some good ones. Maybe if I had something in common with the author these tips would mean more to me.

The idea of doing your own happiness project is inspiring though, but I think I'd be better off designing my own. The lessons that this person needed to learn are not the same ones I need.

Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best ever books on surviving depression, 29 May 2013
I have had bouts of major depression throughout my life, and have read all kinds of self help books and the like in order to try to learn how to heal. This is one of the best I've ever come across. It is very comprehensive, going over all the different aspects of depression. It treats it like the complicated thing that it is - there are many different causes for it, and each individual facing depression will have different combinations of symptoms and combined illnesses. It goes over all these things, offering a wide range of treatments. Each person may need to try many things before they find what works for them, but this is a great starting point to see what might work for you. Not only does it depend on the severity of your depression, but whether you also are bipolar, have experienced trauma, have ADHD, have people around to help you, have substance abuse problems, etc. I recommend starting with this book as a great overall guide to help point you in the right direction. Even if you're not sure what will work for you, try the advice in this book and don't give up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for many of us. I didn't get cured over night but a lot of the things that helped me are in this book.

Mend It Better: Creative Patching, Darning, and Stitching
Mend It Better: Creative Patching, Darning, and Stitching

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great tips - best beginner's guide to mending, 29 May 2013
This book has a wide variety of advice and how tos on diy mending. As a beginner at sewing, I found it easy to understand. It has close up photos of the techniques, all using bright green contrasting thread so you can see how it's done. Gives you options of both hand sewing and machine sewing versions. Includes mending zippers, different types of patches, hemming, and more. Includes some simple projects to follow and begins with some good sewing basics. I haven't found a better book on mending yet.

Physicians Formula Plump Potion Lipstick, 1166 Mauveberry Potion
Physicians Formula Plump Potion Lipstick, 1166 Mauveberry Potion

4.0 out of 5 stars Mauveberry review, 10 Feb. 2013
I am not sure if I really notice much plumping, but it is very moisturizing. I have quite dry lips and it helps smooth out the lines in my lips so they look smoother. The color lasts a while. I would definitely get this again.

Self-Sufficient City
Self-Sufficient City
by Vicente Guallart

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to learn much from this, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Self-Sufficient City (Paperback)
The pages of this are very small, yet many entries show large images shrunk down too small to understand very well, rather than at least using larger pages or printing blown up sections. Descriptions seem to be written by the entrants, without any editing, so they are full of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes (probably due to many being written by people who don't have english as their first language). The entries are quite small and don't really explain much. So you have many entries that give you little useful information about their ideas, plus tiny images. I found it frustrating to read this. I'm sure some of the ideas could be really interesting but they are hard to figure out.

Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
by Dorothy Lehmkuhl

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for people with ADD too!, 12 Oct. 2012
I was given this book by a family member who knows I've struggled all my life with organising, who knows I'm a designer and thought this might help. I have also been diagnosed with adult ADD in my early 20s. I would recommend this book to anyone who feels that their style is not suited to the typical linear approach to the world, whether they see themselves as "creative" or not. I don't even really believe in the whole Right vs Left brain stuff, however the descriptions definitely suited me and I think would suit not only typical artist types but also those with ADD. It recognises that we need a different style of organising, and tackles some of our habits that make it hard to be organised, like feeling that we need to see our work in front of us at all times, being afraid to hide tasks away because we'll forget about them, having a hard time estimating how long tasks will take, a tendancy towards clutter, procrastination, being easily distracted by interruptions, etc.
There's also a very reassuring tone to the book - it points out that there is nothing wrong with being this way, you just need a different system to make it all work than others do. I don't particularly like her terms, such as Arbie and Leftie (as if we're so simply divided in two groups) but I just ignored those parts I found a bit cheesy and did find the actual organising advice much more useful than most other books I've tried. If you've tried more typical advice before and it didn't work, give this a shot.

Ecovention: Current Art to Transform Ecologies
Ecovention: Current Art to Transform Ecologies
by Sue Spaid

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview of art for ecology, 12 Oct. 2012
This is a great collection of a wide variety of art interventions that relate, in one way or another, to ecology and its preservation. It includes activism to publicize eco issues, research based works looking at biodiversity and food growing, urban infrastructure, land reclamations, and more. I don't know of any other book that has a collection like this.

Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century
Worldchanging: A User's Guide for the 21st Century
by Alex Steffen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of ideas, 12 Oct. 2012
If you are interested in trying to help solve social and environmental issues around the world, this is a good starting point. It's more like an encyclopedia than an in-depth book. It covers a lot of territory, giving a small intro to many current strategies to create change, so it's great for finding out about things that you can then go and research in more detail elsewhere.
My only complaint is that many of the examples given seem a bit trivial - like plastic bottles shaped so they can be reused as children's toys before they're recycled (rather than suggesting ideas like ensuring there is drinking water available for people to refill reusable bottles, etc.) Some examples were really interesting and worth further research but some, like above, didn't seem very innovative at all.

Page: 1 | 2