Profile for K. Bond > Reviews

Content by K. Bond

K. Bond "Kazzy B Knits" (Plymouth, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
TRG Shoe Crems 50ml For Smooth Leather Shoes Boots And Leather Materials
TRG Shoe Crems 50ml For Smooth Leather Shoes Boots And Leather Materials
Offered by UK.Shoes Retail
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT, AMAZING COLOURS AND REALLY WELL PRICED, 15 Jun 2014
This stuff is absolutely AMAZING!!!!! I have a beautiful pair of red Gabor shoes which cost a fortune and after tripping on a paving slab I thought I had wrecked them. But one coat of Red (Rojo) and they are as good as new - in fact better as it has nourished the leather. Just let it dry then buff with a sot cloth. and best of all it washes off your hands easily unlike some other coloured polishes. Great product, great price and a fabulous range of colours too :)

Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison (Penguin Social Sciences)
Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison (Penguin Social Sciences)
by Michel Foucault
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ!!!, 24 Mar 2013
A brilliant, classic book for anyone interested in the new penality and the birth of the modern prison system. Ideal for criminology, criminal justice or social policy students.

The Adventures of Chloe and Her African Pygmy Hedgehog Spike
The Adventures of Chloe and Her African Pygmy Hedgehog Spike
by Sarah Bayley
Price: 5.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Mar 2013
Very short and not really good value for money. I bought it because we have just got an African Pygymy hedgehog as a pet - but the book shows the hedgehog being kept in a basket which would be both foolish and dangerous.

Destiny Shoes DS-07 Womens RED Round Toes Patent Mid Heels Mary Jane Court Shoes UK 8

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Mar 2013
These were right in the middle of the Hush Puppies listing and I foolishly assumed they were Hush Puppies. Unfortunately they are very inferior fakes and made of plastic not leather. They were also both small and narrow. I am awaiting a refund.

Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool
Shades of Winter: Knitting with Natural Wool
by Ewa K. Andinsson
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book and location shots, 9 Jan 2013
This book arrived today and its absolutely stunning. I used the look inside tool before purchasing it so knew what to expect - but the patterns actually exceed expectations. Usually I buy pattern books because are one or two items I will definitely knit - but this book is filled with them. I love the monochrome natural colours - but these garments would look equally good in bright colours :) Can't wait to get one on the needles :)

Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy
Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy
by Kevin Bales
Price: 13.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 14 Nov 2012
Excellent book - accessible writing - but extremely disturbing in content. Some very hard to digest truths about things we all prefer not to know about in our 21st century modern world. Great for sociology or criminology students - or anyone who cares about people from other cultures, and who wants to know more about how we get the "stuff" that we THINK we need....

Youth and Crime
Youth and Crime
by John Muncie
Price: 21.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessible textbook, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Youth and Crime (Paperback)
A good all round source book for students of criminology, youth justice and general social injustice! Makes sensible arguments, backed up with historical fact.

Leatherback
Leatherback
Price: 2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Different... and good :), 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Leatherback (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The story weaves between the main character's present and past - her present self is on a beach holiday in Wales, where she sees a leatherback turtle come to shore one night to lay eggs, and her past self is in a children's home and then successive foster families - having been told her parents are both dead, and having seen her younger siblings adopted one by one. I can't say too much else without giving away the plot... but its a story which goes from despair to redemption and back again - but ends in hope for the future. A great read :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2012 10:00 AM BST

Folk Devils and Moral Panics (Routledge Classics)
Folk Devils and Moral Panics (Routledge Classics)
by Stanley Cohen
Price: 15.63

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS book, 6 May 2012
This book is a must for anyone studying criminology, sociology, psychology... or who just has an interest in human nature and how we are influenced by outside pressures. This 30th anniversary edition has been updated to reflect more recent events such as the killing of James Bulger (the original was written about the Mods and Rockers phenomenon). Whether you read it as a textbook, or simply out of an interest in social history, this is unmissable. Unlike many sociologists, Stan Cohen uses accessible language - always a bonus when reading for coursework!! :D

The Little Book of Prison: A Beginners Guide
The Little Book of Prison: A Beginners Guide
by Frankie Owens
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars A mouthpiece for the author's ego., 17 April 2012
I bought this book in good faith as I was attending a presentation by him and wanted to read it before I met him.
All I can say is - don't bother - either reading the book or meeting Frankie Owens in person. This book is just a mouthpiece for his overinflated ego, and contains no real or useful information. He spent 4.5 months in prison and it is clear from the way he talks that he learned nothing while in there. He is clearly not sorry for his crimes - despite the fact that they destroyed his marriage and separated him from his children - and treats the whole experience as one great big joke. He preaches about how prisons can be improved - after such a short stint? - and some of the stuff he claims to have done while in there is patently untrue (I am no expert but there was a prison officer sitting next to me in the audience who could tell me different). To be very honest, having met the guy and talked to him one on one after the presentation, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a "plant"; put in the prison to spy on some of the other inmates. I had the opportunity to go for dinner with him after his speech. I passed - he would have put me off my food.

Page: 1 | 2