Profile for M. E. Newell > Reviews

Content by M. E. Newell

M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
My Last Duchess
My Last Duchess
by Daisy Goodwin

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read but lacks depth, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: My Last Duchess (Paperback)
Cora Cash is one the wealthiest heiress in America in the 1890's and the only goal her mother has for her is to marry a man with a title. Coming to England and getting into an accident she seems Ivo, The Duke of Wareham. Within months the two are to be married in New York so the world can see what "New Money" can do. Soon Cora is back in England, where she struggles with her new role as the Duchess.
"The Last Duchess" by Daisy Goodwin looks like an interesting book, the characters seem to lack depth. The character of Ivo is such a good example. As a reader I didn't really get the chance to know him. I am not sure if this was what the author wanted, that is how it felt to me. Overall, "The Last Duchess" was okay read but nothing special.

When the Lights Go On Again (Campion)
When the Lights Go On Again (Campion)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a good ending to the series, 8 Feb. 2014
It is 1944 and the Allies on the march to Italy and beyond and the Campion family is still in the fight. Daughter Lou is now in ATA, sound Luke is on his way to Italy. Even those on the homefront are sharing in the danger. From Liverpool to London, the danger is around them. Victory is closer than it has ever been, but some may not see come.
"When the Light Go On Again" by Annie Groves is the final book in Campion Series and I have to say I think that it was lease favorite in the series. As some reviewers pointed out there were to many characters in the book. And the whole "Tommy/Jack" storyline was just silly. Overall the Campion Series was good series but "When the Lights Go On Again" was not a good end to it.

Where the Heart Is
Where the Heart Is

5.0 out of 5 stars Where the Heart is, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Where the Heart Is (Paperback)
The war continues on for the Campion family. Luke has just sent his fiancée Katie, breaking up with her. Luke's Sister Lou has gone behind her family's back and joined the WAAF. Lou's twin Sasha wants be come engaged to her boyfriend Bobby and their Cousin Bella continues to want the one man that she can't have. But the war continues onward and the family continue to fight now.
"Where the Heart Is" is the fourth book in Campion series by Annie Groves and I think that it has been the best book so far. I loved the development of the characters was great! I loved the change in Bella, she have become my favorite character in the whole series.
"Where the Heart Is" has been a great book .

The Heart of the Family
The Heart of the Family

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heart of the Family, 4 Feb. 2014
The long war is continuing for the Campions family, but now is it beginning to send them of different directions. Luke is being posted overseas. Twins Sasha and Lou are starting to go in opposite directions. Grace is in a hurry to finished her training and marry Seb. Cousin Bella may be going be in a direction that no one expected from a selfish young woman to a grown responsible woman.
"Heart of the Family" is the third book in the "Campions" series by Annie Grove and a winner! These is a great family to spend time with. Ms. Groves is a writer with a great gift for story telling and should not be missed by any fan of war-time books.

Wherever You Are
Wherever You Are
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to my I-Pod, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Wherever You Are (Audio CD)
I had read several stories about the "Military Wives" and decided to get the cd single. These a talented good of woman who use song to express the emotions of all who want to their love ones to come back from overseas, no matter what nation the are from.

All My Tomorrows (Beach View Boarding House)
All My Tomorrows (Beach View Boarding House)
by Ellie Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great time with friends from Cliffehaven and the Beach View, 2 Feb. 2014
Ruby Clark is struggling to survive her marriage to Raymond Clark. After a violent attack Ruby is forced to flee the East End. Arriving in Cliffehaven, Ruby finds herself the victim of unwanted advances. But soon after some luck Ruby finds herself at the Beach View and her luck seems to be changing, however the danger from the past is not far behind her.
"All My Tomorrows" is the sixth book in the "Beach View" series by Ellie Dean and again it is a winner. It is great to spend time with old friends and make new ones. This is an excellent series and I know when it ends I will be very sad.

Hitched
Hitched
by ZoŽ Barnes

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't make through the first 100 pages, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Hitched (Paperback)
I bought this "Hitched" after reading "Bumps" by Zoe Barnes. But I have to say that I could not even get to through the first 100 pages of this book. There were to many characters and a storyline that was not just not interesting. Others may have found "Hitched" interesting but I am sorry that I bought this book.

Dance With Wings
Dance With Wings
by Amelia Carr

2.0 out of 5 stars It was long and a struggle to finished, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Dance With Wings (Paperback)
Nancy Kelly's life changes when she at a telegram from Jackie Cochran asking her join the ATA in England. Soon Nancy is over there and flying for England. While there she meet James "Mac" Mackenzie. But soon the war forces them apart. Years later Nancy asked her granddaughter Sarah to return Mac's DFC to his family. A request that completely change Nancy whole family.
I really wanted to like "Dance With Wings" by Amelia Carr but I could not. I really felt like the writer was making the book longer than it needed to be. The writer habit of changing perspective and jumping back and forth in time got a annoying after a while. Overall "Dance With Wings" is not a book that will remain on my shelf.

Wave Me Goodbye (Churchills Angels 2)
Wave Me Goodbye (Churchills Angels 2)
by (Novelist) Ruby Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book, 26 Jan. 2014
Young Grace Paterson has decided to become a Land Girl in order to her part for the war effort. But life on a farm is harder than she expected and not matter what is does she seem to find herself on Lady Alice's bad side. But Grace is determined to make this work and do her part to help England win the war.
"Wave Me Goodbye" is the second book in the "Churchill Angels" series by Ruby Jackson and I have to say that I didn't like as much as the first book. I just had a hard time with the book because at times Grace seemed so weak and always letting others due for her. Part of me want to yell at Grace to be stronger at times. While I know I purchase the third book, I hope that it is better than "Wave Me Goodbye."

A Christmas Promise
A Christmas Promise

4.0 out of 5 stars A good end to the Article Row Series, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Christmas Promise (Paperback)
It is 1943 and the war in England continues to rage, but life is changing for the women at number 13 at Article Row. Tilly is now in the ATS and serving. Both Agnes and Sally have both lost loves to the war. But for Olive and Dulcie they have both found love and families. But there years ahead and in war everything can change quickly and all may not see the end of the war.
"A Christmas Promise" is the last book in the Article Row series by Annie Groves. Even though Penny Halsall pasted away in 2011 and this book was finish by author Shelia Riley with Penny's notes. It was a good book. I was very glad the authors were able to finished it series. Overall "A Christmas Promise" is a good book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20