Profile for M. E. Newell > Reviews

Content by M. E. Newell

M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Perfidia
Perfidia
by Elspeth McKendrick

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that good and not a keeper, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Perfidia (Paperback)
Sophie de Havilland has come to Berlin from London to escape her past. Soon Sophie finds herself moving in the upper region of the Nazi Germany. Soon Sophie is involved with Kurt Von Richten a half American German. Soon Sophie has to Kurt with her very life.
I really wanted to like "Perfidia" by Elspeth McKendrick but it was really not that good. Some of the writing seem off to me. I read a lot of War-time books, but "Perfidia" is a book that I will not be keeping.

Madame Barbara
Madame Barbara
by Helen Forrester
Price: 7.32

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Madame Barbara (Paperback)
It is 1948 and Barbara Bishop has come to Normandy to see her husband's grave. Driving her the cemetery is Michel Benion a Frenchman who has lost much during the war. During their time together Barbara and Michel, they become close and their love for each other grows. To be together they first must overcome many problems.
"Madame Barbara" by Helen Forrester was a decent book but I have to admit it was a push for me to finish due the fact that the book seem longer than it need to be. But overall, it was a nice post-war book

Martha's Girls
Martha's Girls
by Alrene Hughes
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars It is okay book, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Martha's Girls (Paperback)
Sisters Irene, Pat, Peggy and Sheila Goulding are facing life with out their father. The one thing that the sister have in common is their love of singing. They are asked to join a troupe of entertainers. This is the whole new world for the sisters and their mother Martha begins to worry that they may be over their heads.
I really wanted to enjoy "Martha's Girls" by Alrene Hughes but I really didn't. I just couldn't get into this book. Overall "Martha's Girls" was an okay book but I don't think it is a keeper for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 7:37 AM BST

When the Dawn Breaks
When the Dawn Breaks
by Emma Fraser
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: When the Dawn Breaks (Paperback)
Young Isabel Mackenzie came to Skye in 1903, where she meant Jessie and her brother Archie, through the years Isabel and Archie would meet in secret. After a encounter in the woods Archie would leave Skye and Jessie's life would change forever. Years later Isabel, now a doctor and Jessie who now a nurse would work together in war-torn France and Serbia. But the past is never far behind and secrets can and will come to light.
"When the Dawn Break" by Emma Fraser is pretty good book. Don't let the cover of the book mis-lead you. This more than a good book with rich characters and interesting story line.

The Love Gift
The Love Gift
by Judith Saxton

2.0 out of 5 stars To be better it should be longer, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Love Gift (Hardcover)
Lord Crispin O'Neill has returned from Jamaica, realizing that he has forgotten for intended bride Pamela so he goes to the slave market and purchases Peri to be her servant. Realizing that will not due Crispin gives Peri to sister but Peri still want t be with Crispin and does not him to marry Pamela.
After reading "You Are My Sunshine" by Judith Saxon I order every book I could find from. While "You Are My Sunshine" was a great book "The Love Gift" was not. This book wasn't really that long and not really that interesting. Ms. Saxton AKA Katie Flynn is a great writer and I have enjoyed many of her books but I have to say that "The Love Gift" was not one of the.

Nightingales on Call: (Nightingales 4)
Nightingales on Call: (Nightingales 4)
by Donna Douglas
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first three books, 20 Jun 2014
Dora and Lucy are in the last three months of their training, and even though they may have more in common than they think. Jess Jago has started as the new maid for the nurses' home and there is more to the young maid than meet the eye. New trainee Effie O'Hara has come to London to train a nurse but she is spending most of her time getting into trouble and may not make through the first year.
"Nightingale On Call" by Donna Douglas and I have to admit that I didn't enjoy the fourth book as much as the first three books. I have admit I could not be believe the ending and I hope that we see them again. Jess's story was by far best thing about "Nightingales on Call" and I hope we see her again.

The Finishing Touches
The Finishing Touches
by Hester Browne
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Read, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Finishing Touches (Paperback)
Betsy Philimore is back in London for the funeral of her adoptive mother Lady Philimore, while there she leans that "The Plilimore Academy for Young Ladies" the place where Betsy left on the front as a infant is verge of closing. Lord P. ask Betsy to save it. With plans to bring the Academy in the 21st century and maybe learn who her mother really was.
"The Finishing Touches" by Hester Brown was really cute and quick book that is perfect for vacation. The characters were interesting and I have to admit it didn't end as I expected.

The Masterful Mr Montague: Number 2 in series (From the Casebook of Barnaby Adair)
by Stephanie Laurens
Price: 7.35

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 15 Jun 2014
Heathcote Montague is the man-of-affairs for some of the richest and most powerful families of the Ton. Miss. Violet Matcham is making her way in the world as the companion to Lady Halstead. Realizing that something is wrong with her accounts, Lady Halstead calls upon Montague to take a look at her accounts. Soon Lady Halstead is dead and Inspector Stokes and Barnaby Adair and their respective wives are looking for a murder. With more murders the race is on to find a killer and maybe a new love.
"The Masterful Mr. Montague" by Stephanie Laurens was an okay book. This book is not like other "Cynster related books." The main focus is the mystery and not romance. But overall it was an okay read.

Where the Heart Lies (Beach View Boarding House)
Where the Heart Lies (Beach View Boarding House)
by Ellie Dean
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite book in Cliffehaven series, 7 Jun 2014
Nurse and Midwife Julie Harris works in London's East End when a raid kills her parents and her sister Franny dies giving birth to her son William. With nothing left Julie and William head to Cliffehaven and to older sister Eileen, who less than pleased to her family. Soon Julie and William find themselves at the Beach View and in warm and loving care of the Reilly family. But in war nothing is forever.
"Where the Heart Lies" is the fourth book in the "Cliffehaven" series by Ellie Dean and I have to say it has been the less favorite book in the series. I just felt that ending didn't have the same emotional punch as the other books in the series.

Gravity
Gravity
by Tess Gerritsen
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great read, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gravity (Paperback)
It seemed all of her dreams were coming true when Dr. Emma Watson was chosen to be International Space Station. The only downside that her husband Jack was soon be her ex-husband. The mission is going well until an accident happen and the crew start getting sick and dying. Soon Emma finds herself lone, struggling to stay alive and on Earth Jack is trying to find the truth to save Emma.
"Gravity" by Tess Gerritsen was a great book that kept me interested. I was so interested that I finished 2 days. The characters were great and the storyline was able to hold my interest and keep me reading. A really good book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20