Profile for Jan > Reviews

Content by Jan

Jan "janc333" (West Sussex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Habanera
Habanera

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Habanera (Audio CD)
To be honest if this was played in a blind test with any of the other Wasilewski CDs it would hold it's own - and for some like me it would come out on top. Although I adore the ECM albums I am so glad I made the effort to research and find this earlier offering. I'm not sure I can describe what is so amazing about it - a more homogeneous offering of accessible music. Possibly it doesn't have as many of the finer touches but melodically it's absolutely beautiful.

Album Collection
Album Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely best value music you can buy, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Album Collection (Audio CD)
Bought on the strength of hearing some tracks off 'the evolution ..' Had spend weeks deciding which album to buy when suddenly this offer came up. But that's only the start as every single CD, every single track is a real gem. I've never come across such a volume of high quality life inspiring and fun music being available in such a concentrated package - irrespective of cost! Ok so the tracks don't come up on my car stereo and for some reason two of the CDs have been swapped (music from Something Else of the 'A Beautiful World' disc) but it's the music.
What's really amazing is that each Album has a slightly different feel - the biggest outlier being 'Sex Therapy' but it has it's own brilliance with a slight hip hop/urban twist. Love them all. Those put off by controversy of 'Blurred Line' really are missing out. This is a great collection.

Blurred Lines
Blurred Lines
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Blurred Lines (Audio CD)
I bought the CD from a service station on a long journey - neither a big fan nor caught up in the controversy or hype, just a music lover. I've listened to it a good few times in the car on long journeys and now at home. I'd like to think I'm taking an objective view when I say this album is really good. Varied, no fillers, high quality, sexy songs, romantic songs all produced with care. Make me dance and move, groove and smile. All the things good music should do. Really difficult to pick favourites probably 'take it easy on me' and 'feel good' for dance/movement potential - and 'feel good' to ... feel good. Influences and references dripping all over the music like syrup over solid tunes and melodies.

The Orchestrion Project
The Orchestrion Project

5.0 out of 5 stars First Pat Review, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Orchestrion Project (Audio CD)
Not new to Pat - have everything and been a fan since the 90s - but first time compelled to write a review. The original Orchestrion CD felt a little dry and so it was inevitable that one over analysed the 'orchestrion' and missed that actually it was a great set of songs and Pat's playing is as wonderful as always. This is very different, there is a certain relaxed warmth and rolling swing to the proceedings. It is not Orchestrion vol 2 but a really different experience. Both discs as are great - even the improv stuff get's into a real groove - but for me the second disc is really where its at. All amazing - to have him create the canvas and the painting, it's ALL Pat Metheny! Sometimes its good to have a Pat track which it's great to close the doors, close the windows and turn it up. To me Spirit of the Air is the best example of where the orchestrion really works - the base line is repetitive but built into the fabric of the song which gives it an extra dimension. I predict this will go down as a Pat Metheny classic and it will define the orchestrion period. LOUD!

The Myth of Free Will
The Myth of Free Will
by Cris Evatt

4.0 out of 5 stars free will in a nutshell, 17 May 2011
This review is from: The Myth of Free Will (Paperback)
If you've read a few of the books in her bibliography then the book adds nothing new. Strangely it doesn't seem to lose any of the power of the argument despite being so obviously just a short precis of these books. Handy for dinner conversations as it summarises various perspectives on this 'difficult' subject really well.
Having said all of this the author introduces her own thoughts at times and it's not clear where these stop and where the other contributors views start. Some of these additions appear a little out of place + in one case 'advertise' another book of hers which spoils the impact. So in a nutshell, a great summary of the latest on the subject which is spoilt in part by the authors tuppenceworth.

Continuo
Continuo
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe how good it is, 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: Continuo (Audio CD)
Intricate and smart yet funky and dynamic. Makes me want to stand up and move yet sit and listen at the same time. Great to hear how a bass can drive excitement in music. Always fantastic when a new sound comes along which is fresh and distinct. A whole new seam to mine. Great musicianship. Great songs.

The Mystique of Enlightenment: The Radical Ideas of U. G. Krishnamurti
The Mystique of Enlightenment: The Radical Ideas of U. G. Krishnamurti
by U.G. Krishnamurti

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging..., 18 Oct 2009
A cursory read of this book left me feeling quite depressed and so I rejected it as negative nonsense. A second read made me recognise that there are passages which addressed some fundamental issues I had with my own world view. On a third read it has felt like a oxyacetylene torch burning through my mind leaving...well nothing. No truth here but compelling and necessary all the same.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2009 5:48 PM GMT

The Good German [DVD] [2006]
The Good German [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ George Clooney
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Good German [DVD] [2006] (DVD)
You can sit through this film and enjoy it just because of the originality of the B&W setting, the old war footage or Cate Blanchet's acting. However if you removed any of these elements it would appear like a film that was confused, overambioutious and frankly boring given the potential in the story. Who was the good german? What exactly had he/she done that was wrong/right? who's side was everyone on? With most films it would be fun working through such complexities, the "whodunnit", the intricacy of the script. Well after 5 minutes of discussing these things with my wife after the film we decided to give up it just didn't merit the time. Clumsy Casablanca references, unbalanced useage of old footage and a plot which seemed contrived (because of the "too many notes" directing rather then the material itself) meant it was a big big diappointment.

Fina Estampa
Fina Estampa

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistent, 26 Jun 2006
This review is from: Fina Estampa (Audio CD)
With a sack full of Caetano CDs gathered from regular trips to Brazil I have to say that even though his voice is consistently brilliant the songs can be a bit hit and miss. This is for me one of his most consistently enjoyable recordings. Mostly ballads, the songs capture what for me is the essence of what I enjoy so much in his music; longing, romance, simplicity and a voice which embelishes every melody with a special magical quality.

Dogville [DVD] [2004]
Dogville [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Nicole Kidman
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Trier, 6 Jun 2006
This review is from: Dogville [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
Maybe if I had know that this was a Lars van Trier film, nearly 3 hours long and a little strange in its setting I may never have bothered seeing it. That would have been a big shame as this film is excellent. It is also a film that is sufficiently unique and impactful to make it a must see in my opinion. Acting is superb, story develops nicely with a slow build up of tension and the "meaning" is wonderfully open to interpretation. I didn't see a shred of anti-americanism, to me more like anti humanism. The characters represent a full rainbow of human types and it is easy to associate with them in the early parts of the film. But beware if you do as the film will slowly make you realise some uncomfortable home truths about yourself and others around you.

Page: 1 | 2