Profile for Robert Douglas Robb > Reviews

Content by Robert Douglas...

Robert Douglas Robb "kiwidoug" (New Zealand)

Ambassador (The Young Ancients Book 4)
Ambassador (The Young Ancients Book 4)

1.0 out of 5 stars It gets worse, 5 May 2012
I'm Sorry if I disappoint.

I really enjoyed The Builder, and looked forward to seeing Tor grow into a fully rounded character.
But he doesn't.
He remains a stupid naive prat.

So do the rest of the characters.

Would you treat the most powerful wizard in the world as an idiot, leaving him prisoner of the City Guards for a whole day.

Tor should just obliterate the whole bloody city.

The story is just too damned annoying, and I'm afraid I won't be buying any more books.

Final Days
Final Days
by Gary Gibson

2.0 out of 5 stars Fails to please, 29 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Final Days (Hardcover)
I hate to put anyone of a book, but this one was boring.
I couldn't believe it. Great ideas, cutting edge theories about the universe, time travel, blackholes, future politics and cultures, and I didn't care.

Semi-believable characters and a convoluted and confusing plot.
Character motivation was suspect.
I gave this book 2 stars, but that was generous.

Actually it was so bad that just after 2 weeks of reading it, I had to go back on line to check the synopsis to confirm I'd actually read it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2012 4:35 PM GMT

Out of the Dark
Out of the Dark
by David Weber

3.0 out of 5 stars Vampires Suck, 5 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Out of the Dark (Hardcover)
I love David Webber's books.
I love the Honour Harrington series, and the Empire of Man, and the Ring of Fire (as long as it was without Virginia DeMarco)and Dahak, Starfire (The Shiva Option etc.) and Safehold. The Multiverse wasn't so hot, but maybe it will finish on a high note.
But this sucks.
Great descriptions of alien/Human conflict, huge feeling of pride that no matter what, the humans wouldn't give up.
The plot was tight, characters were involved and involving, Humanity was in a really tight spot. Biowar and Planet-crackers were about to be deployed by the alien enemy. Mankind needed a bit extra.
And the the vampires arrived to save us all.

W.T.F.

I get the idea that David wrote/plotted himself into a corner and maybe he saw Twilight as an extra market and a way out.
How the hell can you have a mixture of hard science (fiction)and Vampires that dissolve into a pseudo-mist, are invulnerable to any sort of projectile/energy weapon, quite happy in hard vacuum etc. etc. etc.

Sell out David. I thought better of you.

1634: The Bavarian Crisis (Ring of Fire)
1634: The Bavarian Crisis (Ring of Fire)
by Eric Flint
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars concentrated history, 9 Mar. 2010
This has to be the most boring book in the Ring of Fire /Assiti Shards series. When I saw Eric Flint's name in the banner, I thought, "this is going to be a good read".
Really disappointing. It reads like a history textbook, you know one of the books in high school that sent you to sleep.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2011 8:22 AM BST