Profile for iqy > Reviews

The Hobbit: Graphic Novel
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way of making someone a Tolkien fan, 29 Feb 2004
I bought this book for my younger brother, aged 11, to introduce him to the earlier work of Tolkien. On first impressions he thought the book was oversized but was won over by the excellent artistic imagination of the illustrator. It brought the whole novel to life. He managed to pick it up and read through it at such pace, which proved his enjoyment in reading it all. The book is an abridged version but from what I know, it seems to have stayed true to the original novel. Now he's finished, I think it's my turn to enjoy The Hobbit all over again......

Harman Soundsticks 2.1 Speaker System
Harman Soundsticks 2.1 Speaker System

3.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!, 15 Feb 2004
I bought these speakers over a year ago and absolutely felt it was the best accessory I bought for my apple computer. That was until they stopped working and only started giving out a hissing sound. No probs I thought, I'll just go through the Harmon Kardon troubleshooting section on their website.
Nothing fixed it though. The dealer who I bought it from wouldn't look at it as it had fallen outside the 1 year warranty. Now you would think such a great sound producing company would have dealers/ service centres based here in the UK. But they don't.
So if anything does go wrong you'll find you are pretty much stuck with a useless piece of plastic. Because of the special design of these speakers to work with an Apple Mac, I managed to work out that it was probably the transformer that had overheated. A replacement is not as easy as you think. The company expects you to ship the speakers to the USA at your own cost (which I worked out to be 60) and on top of that labour and parts charges could amount to the same!
And also they can't ship it back to you unless you hold an american postal address. So another pointless avenue to explore. Their only recommendation was to buy a whole new set of speakers!!!!
I am now a bit more careful as to what speaker products I will be buying in the future. As JBL is also under the same company I am going to steer clear of purchasing their products. Simply for the fact if I can't get something repaired locally here in the UK if all goes wrong, then it's simply not worth paying for.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2009 7:19 PM GMT